Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 2321 of 2639
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

oooooooooh do you??? it's too bad you're not on xbox live, i'd love to dangle your a55 silly. NHL08 is probably the most in depth realistic hockey game to date. EA must be applauded for their achievement.

Edit: and this is where it astonishes me that you wouldn't want to use the xbox 360's controller. the skill stick is impossible on the PS3's remote, i don't know how you do it.

Yeah it is good, but they really just have to work on the quirks. It can be quit frustrating when an icing or offside randomly is not called. You can also still get away with "cheap" goals which drive me nuts when playing online.

I'm not sure how you find the DS3 controller difficult, the right analog is in the same spot, it is only the left that is different from the 360 controller. When I first got the PS3, I did find it awkward but that is just because I was used to another controller.
  • Reply 2322 of 2639
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

Yeah it is good, but they really just have to work on the quirks. It can be quit frustrating when an icing or offside randomly is not called. You can also still get away with "cheap" goals which drive me nuts when playing online.

I'm not sure how you find the DS3 controller difficult, the right analog is in the same spot, it is only the left that is different from the 360 controller. When I first got the PS3, I did find it awkward but that is just because I was used to another controller.

lol, um that's what makes it impossible for FPS games and games like NHL. It's just not ergonomical, and it's hell of frustrating with those stupid shoulder buttons. the only thing i like the DS3 for is fighting games, thats it.

yeah, i've pretty much mastered every single scoring strategy in NHL. the one timer infront of the net, the quick wrist upper shelf, the deke, everything. like i said, i dangle kids online hard.
  • Reply 2323 of 2639
    Quote:

i think we know what the bluray disk was filled with now.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

See now we all know that you just have bad taste.

Problem solved!
  • Reply 2324 of 2639
    Quote:

Yeah, saying it was their last game was basically to get people really worked up. I don't know how some of you can stomach a game with 10+ hours of cheesy cringe worthy dialogue and convoluted story telling anymore after this final chapter.

I guess cuz it's a game trying to get away with trying to be like a movie it's ok but hell i tried playing this at a friends (yes i have 1 lonely friend with a ps3, but he does have a 360 as well) i literally did nothing for the first 30 min of the game. walked a few feet boom cgi cut scene, walked into a building boom cgi cut scene, crawled under a truck.....

i think we know what the bluray disk was filled with now.

I guess you just dont get it.. but then I dont get NHL or Madden or Halo.. so what does that tell us? nothing.
  • Reply 2325 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I don't know you guys are all on about. I just finished MGS4 and I loved it. I'm about to start playing it again. This time I'm going for no kills, and no alerts.
  • Reply 2326 of 2639
    fishyesquefishyesque Posts: 725member
    Nice! Good luck! What difficulty?

I'm on my 4th playthrough. So much fun!

MGO is so addicting though, I have to properly accolate time for each!
  • Reply 2327 of 2639
    Hi fellow MGS-ers

just played for the first time last night... in typical MGS fasion I didnt get to sleep till 4am! and now I have snake eyes (everywhere I look, there he is! )

WOW WOW WOW

AND WOW again!

that is one seriously epically cinematic game.

I've worked my way into part 2 solid sun. (I think?) just following Meryls footprints when I HAD to stop.

I havent been this stunned or engrossed in a game since.. since... MGS2

Will have to find more time to play, maybe tomorrow if I can spare a few hours, but seriously

WOW!
  • Reply 2328 of 2639
    Wow is right. On this guitar forum I frequent, there is a gaming thread, and everyone there is feeling the same way.

Wow. Simply wow.

On my fifth playthrough right now!

I'll be picking up Ratchet and Clank, as well. I thought it was just an ok game (haven't played it) just from hearing things here and there, but on metacritic it got an average of 89/100! That's really solid!
  • Reply 2329 of 2639
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

I'll be picking up Ratchet and Clank, as well. I thought it was just an ok game (haven't played it) just from hearing things here and there, but on metacritic it got an average of 89/100! That's really solid!

It was one of the first really excellent system exclusives.
  • Reply 2330 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Look guys, I understand news on the plastic disc front will be slow to come until we head into the Christmas season or the next rev of the Mac Pro.

But seriously, take the gaming reviews and discussion to its own thread. This is getting really tiresome.
  • Reply 2331 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Look guys, I understand news on the plastic disc front will be slow to come until we head into the Christmas season or the next rev of the Mac Pro.

But seriously, take the gaming reviews and discussion to its own thread. This is getting really tiresome.

very true.

but tell me you never diverted the thread off topic in any way?
  • Reply 2332 of 2639
    Quote:

why? is it bothering anyone? it's pretty lively in here. not to mention the extent of blu-ray success hinders on the ps3, and/or vice versa
  • Reply 2333 of 2639
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Well, it's not completely OT. The current scenario is pretty much in-line with early predictions made on the AVSforum. Some AVSforum members did predict that the popularity and focus of HDM on Blu-ray discs will diminish when popular PS3 games are released because the blu-ray hardware installed base is mainly contributed by PS3. One supporting reasoning was that when/if a great game is released on the PS3 platform, majority of the blu-ray supporters on PS3 will lose interest for HDM and spend more time on playing the game. It has been already said by few of the members here that they're losing sleep because of the newly released PS3 game. I don't think I've heard a single person claiming to lose sleep over a HDM released on BD.

In any case, this thread is a living proof of HDM losing traction, and it seems as it will get worse with popular games being released on PS3. I don't see how apple will engage in such market even for a data storage media solution. Unless someone figures out how to copy and burn ps3 games or blu-ray HDM on a mac, I don't see apple getting involved in blu-ray optical technology anytime soon nor this thread being moved to general or current hardware forum any time soon.
  • Reply 2334 of 2639
    Quote:

why? is it bothering anyone? it's pretty lively in here.

I wouldn't call this lively.

Besides, I don't think it would be a good idea for a gaming thread to exist.

• Reply 2335 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walter Slocombe View Post

very True.

But Tell Me You Never Diverted The Thread Off Topic In Any Way?

:d:d:d
  • Reply 2336 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Weinstein Co. finally goes Blu-ray

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/14612.cfm

Quote:

Weinstein Co. has announced the launch of the "The Mist" on Blu-ray disc, meaning it will become the last major studio to make the jump over to the victorious HD format.

The Weinstein's first theatrical Blu-ray film will hit retailers on August 5th and will be the first HD movie release from the studio since the demise of HD DVD in February.

The disc will include "extensive extras" including audio commentary with director Frank Darabont, multiple making-of featurettes, deleted scenes, a series of behind-the-scenes Webisodes, as well as theatrical trailers.

The movie will be special 2-disc edition with one version being the original theatrical release and the second being a "black and white" version of the film. Each will ship with 1080p video and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround audio.

Finally. Enough said.
  • Reply 2338 of 2639

well theres 5 mins I'll never get back.

funny, must have been fairly easy to find the only negative review of the game due to the high hit count it was designed to generate.

"internet journalism" at its bes.. most obvious, mm?
  • Reply 2339 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

well theres 5 mins I'll never get back.

funny, must have been fairly easy to find the only negative review of the game due to the high hit count it was designed to generate.

"internet journalism" at its bes.. most obvious, mm?

are you kidding? lighten up big guy, yathzee is hilarious.
  • Reply 2340 of 2639
    Ahhhhh I love Yahtzee!!!