Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2008)

Comments

• Reply 681 of 2639
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

When HDTV was first being demoed 10 years ago, almost everyone preferred 720p/60 over 1080i/60, and that was on 120" projection systems. 720p/60 vs 1080p/24 is a toss up for me - 720p/60 is better for fast action due to the 60hz refresh rate, 1080p30 is more beautiful as long as things don't move too fast - basically men will probably like 720p/60 better (action movies, car crashes) and women will like 1080p/24 better ("out of Africa" type landscape, slow moving romance movies).

Blu-ray supports 1080i/60, 1080p/24, 1080p/30, and 720p/60. In order to definitively beat 720p/60 you would need to go to 1080p/60, which is not a supported format on blu-ray.

Movies are 24fps - it doesn't give you more frames by playing it at 60fps, only duplicate frames and stuttering because of 3:2 pulldown.

Furthermore most tvs capable of handling 24fps correctly shows them at 48, 72, 96 or 120fps.
  • Reply 682 of 2639
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post

Actually the 40GB is quiter than the 60GB because of less and smaller components and improved cooling.

I had the 60GB before and it could get pretty loud.

The complaints from people are based on the 40GB. My 60GB is damn quiet, MUCH quieter than a XBOX360 w HD-DVD attachment. I tried that out and let me tell you, I was distracted the whole time by its ridiculous noise output.

So, when are the Weinsteins releasing the movies I want for Blu-Ray?
  • Reply 683 of 2639
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Time WARNER ... mmm, they make movies, the own movie theaters and they are an ISP that will deliver movies to you. and they want to LIMIT part of that, or charge more for it?

Do I smell the word Monopoly?

Apple don't own any content and don't act as an ISP, if they did then I could see Monopoly there as well.

Unlimited IS Unlimited.

TW is a big company. To assume that the portion that handles broadband access is closely tied to the studio is naive. It may as well be a completely unrelated company.

The fact is, that as bandwidth usage increases (VOD is the future as we've heard many times here already) broadband utilization will increase, and costs to support it will increase. They are trying to impose soft caps now and make the ones using the most bandwidth pay more. It's only a matter of time before they start adjusting that limit as bandwidth usage averages go up. Sure, unlimited is unlimited...until they say otherwise. What will you do? Most broadband providers already enjoy monopoly status in the areas they provide service. They may be the only ones doing it this time, but just wait. If it's not slapped down then other companies *will* take notice and start adjusting their plans as well. They'll either charge you more or throttle your connection (and the connection throttling has already been found to be going on).
  • Reply 684 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

partly because I'd rather have the physical media, (HDD failure risks)

I keep hearing this, and just don't by it. In all my years of owning and operating computers, I have never once had a HDD fail. And we are talking about drives in computers getting used 6-8 hours a day for 10 years. You are telling me you are worried about a DEDICATED media hard drive having a failure? It could more than likely last more 10 years, if not 20, since the drive is being used much less. What are DVDs rated at, like 25 years? Plus they can get scratched, lost, or stolen (all three having happened to me). I personally feel better having all my movies stored on a hard drive that I can backup and control how I see fit.
  • Reply 685 of 2639
    You're very lucky. I've seen many HDDs go bad. Several of these were dedicated and only used to store content.

These were not just my own but several in my office.

I'm very careful now about data backups due to a hard lesson learned several years ago. My latest issue was a 160 GB drive I had in my Macbook that started acting up then finally died (I had a very recent backup that ensured I lost nothing).
  • Reply 686 of 2639
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    ok, so the NPD numbers came out. And well, not to club the ps3 crowd over the head but here goes anyways..

Quote:

Xbox 360 Drives the Video Game Console Industry in 2007: NPD data released today confirms consumers spent more dollars on Xbox 360 in 2007, with more than $13.7 billion in total consumer spending. Xbox 360 won 2007 with $4.8 billion in total consumer spend compared to Wii with $3.5 billion and PlayStation 3 with $2.2 billion. This wraps up a historic year, with NPD reporting consumers have spent nearly 45 percent of total industry figures on Xbox 360.

Here is a quick snapshot of what is driving revenue for Xbox 360, based on the latest reports from NPD and Microsoft data:

XBOX 360 WIDENS THE GAP OVER PS3 WITH CONSOLE SALES: According to NPD, Xbox 360 sold 1.3 million consoles in December alone, and has steadily widened the gap between Sony's PlayStation 3 console sales. In December, NPD stated that Sony sold 798,000 PS3 hardware units. Since PS3's launch in November 2006, Xbox 360 has outsold PS3 by nearly 2:1 on average, bringing a total U.S. Xbox 360 install base of 9.2 million consoles, compared to and installed base of 7.4 million Wii consoles and 3.3 million PS3 consoles.

GAMES DRIVE INDUSTRY GROWTH: Xbox 360 robust games portfolio spans across the highest-ranked AAA titles to the largest collection of "Everyone" and "Teen" rated games. According to NPD, of the top 20 best-selling titles in 2007 for this generation, 11 were on Xbox 360; while only seven were sold on the Wii and two sold on the PS3.

o NPD reported that this holiday's leading multiplatform blockbusters continue to sell better on Xbox 360:

§ "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" for Xbox 360 was the leading game last month with 1.5 million copies sold, outselling the PS3 version nearly 3:1.

§ "Assassin's Creed" for Xbox 360 was the fourth best selling title, having sold 894,000 units. It outsold the PS3 version more than 2:1.

§ "Guitar Hero III" outsold the PS3 nearly 2:1, having sold 625,000 copies.

§ "Rockband" continues to rock the charts, selling 463,000 units for the Xbox 360 platform, compared to 174,000 units for the PS3

o To date, 33 third party games on Xbox 360 hit the top 10 list across all consoles compared to five third party games on PS3, and four on Wii. These results confirm that third party partners create better games and reap more sales on Xbox 360 than any other platform.

o In its fourth month on the market, Halo 3 continued its strong performance and was the sixth best selling title in December, selling another 742,000. In 2007, NPD projects that Halo 3 has sold 4.8 million units in the U.S. since its launch in September.

o Xbox 360 continues to lead in number of games sold per console, setting another record with an attach rate of 7.0 games per console.

actually, its more like a bat over the head

and here are the top ten best selling games of 2007 in the US (remember some of these games came out in the later half of 07)

Quote:

The top ten best selling games in the USA for last year

01. Halo 3 (Xbox 360) - 4,820,000

02. Wii Play with Remote (Wii) - 4,120,000

03. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Xbox 360) - 3,040,000

04. Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock (PS2) - 2,720,000

05. Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - 2,520,000

06. Pokemon Diamond (DS) - 2,480,000

07. Madden NFL 08 (PS2) - 1,900,000

08. Guitar Hero II (PS2) - 1,890,000

09. Assassin's Creed (Xbox 360) - 1,870,000

10. Mario Party 8 (Wii) - 1,820,000

• Reply 687 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Nielsen/VideoScan Numbers ending January 13th

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...2008/index.php

WE: BD-85% HDD-15% YTD: BD-74% HDD-26% SI: BD-63% HDD-37%

Notice how there's not a singe HD DVD in the top 10. The Future is Blu indeed!
  • Reply 688 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir View Post

ok, so the NPD numbers came out. And well, not to club the ps3 crowd over the head but here goes anyways..

actually, its more like a bat over the head

and here are the top ten best selling games of 2007 in the US (remember some of these games came out in the later half of 07)

Congrats on spewing out stats that prove a system that has been out a full year long can sell more games. Every think they had a bigger base to get these numbers? Btw, who gives a shit, get off this console war. This is Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD, not PS3 vs 360. Enjoy your 360, I'll enjoy my PS3.
  • Reply 689 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

Nielsen/VideoScan Numbers ending January 13th

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...2008/index.php

WE: BD-85% HDD-15% YTD: BD-74% HDD-26% SI: BD-63% HDD-37%

Notice how there's not a singe HD DVD in the top 10. The Future is Blu indeed!

I think Cory had it right in stating that it is more HD-DVD owners bailing than Blu-Ray being bought like crazy now. Don't get me wrong, sales will go up for sure, but these stats mean nothing now, it IS over. I'm glad all my Blu-Ray purchases are future proof. marzetta, let me know when you find something on the Weinsteins going Blu.
  • Reply 690 of 2639
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    So Marz, are you finally confident enough in an eventual all-out Blu-ray victory to actually buy a player now?
  • Reply 691 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

So Marz, are you finally confident enough in an eventual all-out Blu-ray victory to actually buy a player now?

• Reply 692 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

oh that was cold man...

• Reply 693 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

Congrats on spewing out stats that prove a system that has been out a full year long can sell more games. Every think they had a bigger base to get these numbers? Btw, who gives a shit, get off this console war. This is Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD, not PS3 vs 360. Enjoy your 360, I'll enjoy my PS3.

the wii was out the same time ps3 was and its smashing it. so???

dont get upset ,enjoy your system.
  • Reply 694 of 2639
    Quote:

the wii was out the same time ps3 was and its smashing it. so???

dont get upset ,enjoy your system.

Don't worry, not upset here. I am just not sure why this keeps turning into a console war. Start another thread in general, if you want. Yeah, Wii "smashes" the PS3 because it costs less than half the price. But the graphic look like ass and it has very repetitve game play. Sorry, I like the multitude of options that come with the PS3. Btw, do you even have a Bu-ray or HD-DVD player elixir?
  • Reply 695 of 2639
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

TW is a big company. To assume that the portion that handles broadband access is closely tied to the studio is naive. It may as well be a completely unrelated company.

The fact is, that as bandwidth usage increases (VOD is the future as we've heard many times here already) broadband utilization will increase, and costs to support it will increase. They are trying to impose soft caps now and make the ones using the most bandwidth pay more. It's only a matter of time before they start adjusting that limit as bandwidth usage averages go up. Sure, unlimited is unlimited...until they say otherwise. What will you do?

You don't give Time Warner your business that's what. DSL is actually a faster alternative to broadband in many areas like mine. No bottleneck effect when too many people get on at the same time. Comcast is the broadband provider in my area and they are losing customers because of the throttling. Enough people mind bandwidth limiting to negatively affect sales.
  • Reply 696 of 2639
    Quote:

Don't worry, not upset here. I am just not sure why this keeps turning into a console war. Start another thread in general, if you want. Yeah, Wii "smashes" the PS3 because it costs less than half the price. But the graphic look like ass and it has very repetitve game play. Sorry, I like the multitude of options that come with the PS3. Btw, do you even have a Bu-ray or HD-DVD player elixir?

no, i dont. i wanted hd-dvd to just take over since it was cheaper and it wasn't owned by a shady company like sony. however, i figured it wouldn't since the bluray group was throwing insane amounts of money to supporters.

i want this war to be over but i'll wait it out a bit longer before i decide to purchase a bluray player.

oh, and here are some more numbers for ya.

Quote:

December Sales

Mass Effect (Xbox 360) - 401,000

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PlayStation 3) - 206,000

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles (Nintendo Wii) - 147,600

Half-Life 2: The Orange Box (PlayStation 3) - 56,500

TimeShift (PlayStation 3) - 25,000

so much for timeshift huh? let me ask you a serious question sony fanboys. i'm only doing this because i really want to know....when will we see developers take the plunge and start fitting insane amounts of stuff onto the bluray? you know since bluray was really needed for "next gen gaming"

hmm? when will we see those developers drop 20million + on a game for that system? eh? cuz they gotta be pretty damn ballsy after they look at some of these numbers.
  • Reply 697 of 2639
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

The complaints from people are based on the 40GB. My 60GB is damn quiet, MUCH quieter than a XBOX360 w HD-DVD attachment. I tried that out and let me tell you, I was distracted the whole time by its ridiculous noise output.

It seems that complaints about noise are relative to having owned/owning a 60GB and or Xbox 360.
  • Reply 698 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

so much for timeshift huh? let me ask you a serious question sony fanboys. i'm only doing this because i really want to know....when will we see developers take the plunge and start fitting insane amounts of stuff onto the bluray? you know since bluray was really needed for "next gen gaming"

hmm? when will we see those developers drop 20million + on a game for that system? eh? cuz they gotta be pretty damn ballsy after they look at some of these numbers.

The sales for timeshift are relevant to the genre, and the length of time the system has been released. Not Every gamer appreciates FPS. It was an awesome game on the PS3 that played flawlessly, although I hear there are performance issues with the 360 version.

I think it's more relevant to ask your question after MGS4 is released. That seems to be the title that everyone is waiting for. But this may interest you. I recently read that to recoup development costs for MGS4 they have to sell 1 million copies the first day. I read that at IGN, or another gaming site, and IGN (if it was IGN) said that they didn't think that was going to be a problem at all.

Your "other question" is best suited for a game developers tech discussion forum don't you think? AFAIK none of us are professional game developers.
  • Reply 699 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

The sales for timeshift are relevant to the genre, and the length of time the system has been released. Not Every gamer appreciates FPS. It was an awesome game on the PS3 that played flawlessly, although I hear there are performance issues with the 360 version.

I think it's more relevant to ask your question after MGS4 is released. That seems to be the title that everyone is waiting for. But this may interest you. I recently read that to recoup development costs for MGS4 they have to sell 1 million copies the first day. I read that at IGN, or another gaming site, and IGN (if it was IGN) said that they didn't think that was going to be a problem at all.

Your "other question" is best suited for a game developers tech discussion forum don't you think? AFAIK none of us are professional game developers.

I have read a lot of comments on one of those articles about MGS4 and many said they were waiting for that game to buy the PS3. So, if systems don't start moving from MGS4, then it is destined to stay in third (unfortunately). But, it looks like the former is true.

So Uncharted was second in sales for the month of December? Your list doesn't look right, 3 of 5 are PS3? Did you edit the list to highlight their sales, Elixir?

Btw, Blu-Ray isn't owned by Sony. There are many other companies involved with the production of it. I find it funny that you call Sony shady, being a MS fanboy and all. I see why you have such a hate on for PS3, though. And that comment about money being thrown around, you have the wrong guys, its MS throwing money at Paramount. Imagine if they weren't dumb enough to see $150 is not good compare to future funds of higher proportions.
  • Reply 700 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Cam'ron, and Elixir, I don't know if either of you are aware that in the first year of sales the PS3 matched the 360's sales in it's first year. So saying it's destined for anything tragic would be premature at this point. Especially considering that the PS3, after that first year in relative time is outselling the 360 after it's first year. So in essence the PS3 in relative time from release vs. the 360, the PS3 is outselling the 360.

But with a years head start I don't presume the PS3 to catch it for quite a while, and I'm not sure how many gamers are actually going to purchase the PS3 just for MGS4 vs. how many said they were. You'll just have to watch PS3 sales from the month before the MGS4 release to the month after to get a feel of how much sales that one game generated.

One game I'm really looking foreword to is on both platforms. Mercenaries 2. That just looks like so much fun. You can jack any vehicle with a grappling hook like device, from helicopter to assault vehicles, and I believe you can even grapple a boat, and water-ski. The in game cooperative multiplayer movies make it look like such a blast.