jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    A timely article.

FAQ: What's next in HD video fracas?

http://www.news.com/FAQ-Whats-next-i...?tag=nefd.lede
  • Reply 1062 of 2639
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

In other words, you didn't have any real news to post, so you thought you'd recycle everything the thread has already covered?

02-04-08 Manga Films Goes Blu-ray Exclusive

02-01-08 ADV Films Goes Blu-ray Exclusive

01-31-08 Highlight Video (Germany) Goes Blu-ray Exclusive

01-30-08 National Geographic Goes Blu-ray Exclusive

01-30-08 EMI (Japan) Goes Blu-ray Exclusive

01-22-08 Grant's Appliances to go Blu-ray exclusive in 2008.

01-16-08 Senator Entertainment to go Blu-ray exclusive in 2008.

01-11-08 Constantin Film goes Blu-ray exclusive.

No real news to post? I guess that depends on what YOU consider real within your delusional world. And no, above, are the snippets that HAVEN'T been even mentioned on this thread (I took out the one's that had been mentioned). So, go take your recycled argument that you actually have anything substantial to share in regards to HD DVD and actually give us tangible evidence that they even have a shot--other than loose posturing of how price cuts will save them (hasn't worked yet), or attempting to marginalize the effect of the PS3 (which has stomped HD DVD), or attempting to marginalize the CONTINUED sales advantage FOR STANDALONE PLAYERS Blu-ray has with again loose posturing about promotions (when HD DVD has promotions as well).

You fail in all your posturing, just as HD DVD has failed in this format war. You'd think with all those failures you'd actually learn something from those failures. So much for thinking!
  • Reply 1063 of 2639
    The xBox 360 HD DVD add-on is now $129. Honestly, this seems far too little too late to me. Microsoft should either make the drive standard config, or pull the thing from store shelves and raise the white flag. For the studios to swing back HD DVDs way, there would have to be a serious influx in HD DVD owners in the next few months.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7 View Post

No real news to post? I guess that depends on what YOU consider real within your delusional world. And no, above, are the snippets that HAVEN'T been even mentioned on this thread (I took out the one's that had been mentioned). So, go take your recycled argument that you actually have anything substantial to share in regards to HD DVD and actually give us tangible evidence that they even have a shot--other than loose posturing of how price cuts will save them (hasn't worked yet), or attempting to marginalize the effect of the PS3 (which has stomped HD DVD), or attempting to marginalize the CONTINUED sales advantage FOR STANDALONE PLAYERS Blu-ray has with again loose posturing about promotions (when HD DVD has promotions as well).

You fail in all your posturing, just as HD DVD has failed in this format war. You'd think with all those failures you'd actually learn something from those failures. So much for thinking!

You know Marz, if you spent half as much time working as you do being a Blu-Ray cheerleader, you might actually be able to afford a Blu-Ray player. It's not like your format of choice is winning based on its merits, so I don't know what you're so cocky about.
  • Reply 1064 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

The xBox 360 HD DVD add-on is now $129. Honestly, this seems far too little too late to me. Microsoft should either make the drive standard config, or pull the thing from store shelves and raise the white flag. For the studios to swing back HD DVDs way, there would have to be a serious influx in HD DVD owners in the next few months.

You know Marz, if you spent half as much time working as you do being a Blu-Ray cheerleader, you might actually be able to afford a Blu-Ray player. It's not like your format of choice is winning based on its merits, so I don't know what you're so cocky about.

You know Cory, if you spent half as much time coming up with a reasonable, logical argument for HD DVD as you do with FUD you spew and with your preoccupation with MY finances, you'd actually realize that this isn't about what I buy or don't buy. Your obsession with what I do with my money is baseless, and rather a bit off task. It doesn't suprise me though that you have to go this route, when the well of HD DVD talking points has dried up.

BTW, I'm not being cocky. This is what YOU CHOSE to interpret my last post as. There is no reason for me to be cocky. I just want one format, and if that means continually showing where HD DVD fanboy logic errs, then so be it. It's not about being cocky, it is about REASONING with people with your mindset on why you are right or wrong on certain aspects of the format war. It's called debate, and a debate you are losing, but are too stubborn to admit it.
  • Reply 1065 of 2639
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:

You know Cory, if you spent half as much time coming up with a reasonable, logical argument for HD DVD...

An argument for HD DVD? With only two of six major studios behind it? Sorry, there are no good arguments for HD DVD at this juncture. And as much as I'd like to immediately embrace the leading format, it's neither feature-complete or reasonably-priced at this time (in fact, prices have been going up since Warner's announcement). Hence the frustration. Your weekly listings of no-name studios supporting Blu-Ray, no-name retailers dropping HD DVD, and HDM pie charts do nothing to improve Blu-Ray's present shortcomings.
  • Reply 1066 of 2639
    HD DVD: 5 Ways It Can Survive

http://www.tvpredictions.com/hddvd020608.htm

Quote:

Listen to the pundits (including yours truly) and you would think that Blu-ray had already won the high-def disc format war. Some publications (again, including this one) have predicted that the war will officially be over by year's end.

It's easy to make such declarations. Five major studios are now supporting Blu-ray, compared to two for HD DVD. And new sales figures show that Blu-ray player and disc sales are easily outpacing HD DVD.

While it's difficult now to see how HD DVD can compete in the long run, things do change. Just ask this year's candidates for president.

So, here are five ways that HD DVD can survive in the high-def format war in 2008 -- and beyond

1. Get the Endorsement of a Major Studio

Warner Bros.' decision last month to endorse Blu-ray exclusively was a major blow to HD DVD. However, if Toshiba, the biggest supporter of HD DVD, could persuade one of the Blu-ray studios to switch sides, it would change the dynamic of the contest.

Odds: 20-1.

Worried about declining DVD sales, the studios are anxious to end this war and, therefore, are unlikely to do anything now that might prolong it.

2. Keep Paramount and Universal On Board

Paramount and Universal are the only two major studios now that are backing HD DVD exclusively -- but there are rumors that they will switch to Blu-ray in the coming weeks. If that happens, the game is over. It's critical that HD DVD keep the studios in place.

Odds: 10-1.

Both Paramount and Universal can read the sales figures as well as anyone. It will be hard for them to continue to ignore the growing Blu-ray audience.

3. Drop the HD DVD Player Price to $49

Toshiba recently lowered the price of the entry-level HD DVD player to $149, but if it really wants to generate sales quickly, it could drop the price to $49. That would make the HD DVD player roughly the price of a cheap standard-def DVD player, which could entice the average buyer.

Odds: 8-1.

Toshiba is already taking a beating on current HD DVD players, offering prices below what it takes to manufacture and distribute them. It would have to invest even more to drop the price to under $100.

4. Get CE Companies to Drop the Price of Dual-Format PlayersIf Toshiba could persuade LG and Samsung to offer their dual-format players (they play both Blu-ray and HD DVD) for under $300, it might trigger new interest among consumers. The dual-format prices now start around $799.

Odds: 25-1.

That would be a big, big price drop. Probably too costly for the companies involved.

5. Get Sony to Support Dual-Format Players

Sony is the leading supporter of the Blu-ray format. If Toshiba could persuade Sony to support the dual-format player -- in return for Sony getting a significant share of future HD DVD profits -- it would allow both formats to exist indefinitely. Rather than manufacture single-format players, CE companies would start working on dual-format players. Under that scenario, the studios could then start releasing titles in both formats because both sides would support a dual-format approach.

Odds: 100-1.

The studios know that the dual-format idea would still confuse many consumers, which would slow acceptance of the new high-def disc. While the Sony-Toshiba deal would bring peace, it might do so at the expense of future growth.

So, bottom line: HD DVD isn't dead, but the shovels are out.

Say, who said I'm not fair and balanced in my posts. This is simply stuff that needs to be done by HD DVD if it is to survive.
  • Reply 1068 of 2639
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

1. Get the Endorsement of a Major Studio

Not going to happen. The Titanic couldn't get new investors once it started sinking, neither can HD-DVD.

Quote:

2. Keep Paramount and Universal On Board

They can encourage them to stay on-board but eventually they will will be Blu-ray exclusive.

Quote:

3. Drop the HD DVD Player Price to $49

Too low and it looks suspcious, like with the constant lowering of the price.

Quote:

4. Get CE Companies to Drop the Price of Dual-Format Players

Dual-HD-format players cost more to build and they aren't going to pony up the cost now. jsut to sell a more expensive product that will compete with companes offering a cheaper Blu-ray-only solution.

Quote:

5. Get Sony to Support Dual-Format Players

HAHA Sony needs Blu-ray to win for several reasons. There is no benefit to them for propping up HD-DVD.

Quote:

So, bottom line: HD DVD isn't dead, but the shovels are out.

You're right, HD-DVD isn't dead, but it is Terri Schiavo. It's not going to recover.

I see only one option for HD-DVD.

? Create Skynet; Go back in time and add HD-DVD to all XBOX 360s; Send a Terminator to hunt and destroy every PS3.
  • Reply 1069 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Onlooker, I've ignored the "clearing out the inventory" posts because I didn't think it was worth the time to comment on the ridiculous assertion. But you seem to be taking this as fact.

You are saying that Toshiba has made a decision to kill off HD-DVD and is clearing out inventory under the guise of marketing the format as a going concern.

You are aware that such actions would open them up to all kinds of class action litigation right?

What class action litigation? Toshiba has already stated that all HD-DVD players are now to be sold as DVD up converters. If there is a dead in the water second format attached to those players it's no longer their problem.
  • Reply 1070 of 2639
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member

Oh damn.... let's see where this goes. And the offer includes 5 free HDM MIR...

Thanks for posting the news.
  • Reply 1071 of 2639
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    I wouldn't get it. #1 it's going to be a waste. Microsoft will have to have a BD add on eventually, so anyone that orders this thing is just wasting their time and money.
  • Reply 1072 of 2639
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    it isn't a good deal when you can't hear the movie due to the loudness of the machine running it.
  • Reply 1073 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not going to happen. The Titanic couldn't get new investors once it started sinking, neither can HD-DVD.

They can encourage them to stay on-board but eventually they will will be Blu-ray exclusive.

Too low and it looks suspcious, like with the constant lowering of the price.

Dual-HD-format players cost more to build and they aren't going to pony up the cost now. jsut to sell a more expensive product that will compete with companes offering a cheaper Blu-ray-only solution.

HAHA Sony needs Blu-ray to win for several reasons. There is no benefit to them for propping up HD-DVD.

You're right, HD-DVD isn't dead, but it is Terri Schiavo. It's not going to recover.

I see only one option for HD-DVD.

? Create Skynet; Go back in time and add HD-DVD to all XBOX 360s; Send a Terminator to hunt and destroy every PS3.

LOL! Now that was funny. Had a good laugh at your last statement there <insert tear>...quality stuff, kudos.
  • Reply 1074 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

it isn't a good deal when you can't hear the movie due to the loudness of the machine running it.

The xBox 360 does not run fans a'blazin' while watching movies. During HD DVD playback, the noise of the machine is about 1/20th that of when it's running a game.
  • Reply 1075 of 2639
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Yeah, so it's more like a jet engine *without* the afterburners on...

• Reply 1076 of 2639
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post

The xBox 360 does not run fans a'blazin' while watching movies. During HD DVD playback, the noise of the machine is about 1/20th that of when it's running a game.

I had one, it is f'n loud! Very distracting.
  • Reply 1077 of 2639
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cam'ron View Post

I had one, it is f'n loud! Very distracting.

There must have been something wrong with it. My HD DVD add-on doesn't make a sound, and the xBox stays as quiet as it does when you're just sitting at the dashboard.
  • Reply 1078 of 2639
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:

You know Cory, if you spent half as much time coming up with a reasonable, logical argument for HD DVD as you do with FUD you spew and with your preoccupation with MY finances, you'd actually realize that this isn't about what I buy or don't buy. Your obsession with what I do with my money is baseless, and rather a bit off task. It doesn't suprise me though that you have to go this route, when the well of HD DVD talking points has dried up.

BTW, I'm not being cocky. This is what YOU CHOSE to interpret my last post as. There is no reason for me to be cocky. I just want one format, and if that means continually showing where HD DVD fanboy logic errs, then so be it. It's not about being cocky, it is about REASONING with people with your mindset on why you are right or wrong on certain aspects of the format war. It's called debate, and a debate you are losing, but are too stubborn to admit it.

you really area a fanboy. the bottom line has always been if HD-DVD got the support equal to that of Blurays it would have cleaned house, guaranteed.

the problem is and will always be that bluray came first, and the dvd group got stubborn and decided to create their own format. people resented this, a lot of people...

plus you have sony throwing buckets of cash at some of these studios and boom you have massive support for a crap standard that has yet to prove a damn thing.

bravo marz, bravo.
  • Reply 1079 of 2639
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    I'm pretty sure HD DVD came first. Wasn't the whole voting rule change fiasco a result of BDA members not showing up to vote as a stalling tactic while the Blu-ray spec was 'finished?'
  • Reply 1080 of 2639
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

I'm pretty sure HD DVD came first. Wasn't the whole voting rule change fiasco a result of BDA members not showing up to vote as a stalling tactic while the Blu-ray spec was 'finished?'

The Blu-Ray spec is finished?