Never too early for MWSF predictions....

Comments

• Reply 41 of 186
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donebylee View Post

According to the Mac Buyer's Guide there hasn't been a real update to the Mac Pro since August 2006. And the ACDs haven't been updated since March and August 2006.

If MWSF passes without anything happening to these product lines, it will make me wonder if Apple is abandoning them. There is no reason not to update them. The technology is there and available. Their competitors' are all selling products that are current, while Apple is selling products that are almost 2 years old. That is astoundingly out-of-date.

Read my comment again, it seems you have misread it.
  • Reply 42 of 186
    LED-based ≥ 30" ACDs, please. Damnit.

Samsung can do it. So can you, Apple!
  • Reply 43 of 186
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iNtel iNside View Post

Now: The Mac
    • "Mac market share is continuing to skyrocket"

• Blu-ray Disc now available on select iMac and MacBook Pro models

• New Apple ATSC/CableCard Tuner: Plugs into FireWire port of any Intel-based Mac, integrates with Front Row, $149

I'm with you throughout except this paragraph.

Surely you mean Blu-ray option on the Mac Pros? ...and for encoding HD new super duper graphics cards perhaps even with H264 chips will be included along with other modest upgrades to the line.

Apple will never release a Tuner (again) because of the Movie rentals you speak of.
  • Reply 44 of 186
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Isomorphic View Post

LED-based ≥ 30" ACDs, please. Damnit.

Samsung can do it. So can you, Apple!

Apple displays are from Samsung. Or were at least.
  • Reply 45 of 186
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Apple displays are from Samsung. Or were at least.

They're pretty much what they were selling three years ago.
  • Reply 46 of 186
    thebeatthebeat Posts: 113member
    MacBook Pro with Penryn.
  • Reply 47 of 186
    Quote:

If MWSF passes without anything happening to these product lines, it will make me wonder if Apple is abandoning them. There is no reason not to update them. The technology is there and available. Their competitors' are all selling products that are current, while Apple is selling products that are almost 2 years old. That is astoundingly out-of-date.

Don't fix something that isn't broken. You are correct, 2006 was the update to the Mac Pro. If you are talking about the case, it is approaching 4 1/2 years in a couple weeks (except the additional bay of the MP). The chips were updated 7 or 8 months ago. Don't worry about them being abandoned, they just don't NEED to be updated yet because they are still being sold. These machines are used in the most professional of situations and the displays are coveted (except their price) by everybody.

Quote:

And to the poster who thinks that MWSF is a consumer-only show, could you please explain why Adobe spends so much money to be at a consumer-only show? I really don't think that they're there to promote Acrobat Reader or the Flash plug-in.

I know there are some people who go to MWSF that are more professionally related, but it is not the focus. However, in my house during college we had 7 macs (8 guys) and each machine had Photoshop. It is a complex program, but it is easy to learn the basics. I see Lightroom as a prosumer (maximum) raw editor. They have programs that do well with consumers and prosumers. Adobe is to Apple what Office is to PC. They are both the essential tools for what their machines perform best at. Can you name a better photo EDITOR (not iPhoto or Aperture) than PS?
  • Reply 48 of 186

• Reply 49 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malus View Post

...aaaand redesigned Macbook Pros with:

1. faster hard drives standard

2. LED screens across the board

3. Macbook keyboard

4. Penryn

5. multi-touch trackpads

6. 3 gigs standard

I really want a multi-touch trackpad.

Nice, I like this idea a lot... even if it's not portable. sounds sweet!
  • Reply 50 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaEsperanza View Post

Don't fix something that isn't broken. You are correct, 2006 was the update to the Mac Pro. If you are talking about the case, it is approaching 4 1/2 years in a couple weeks (except the additional bay of the MP). The chips were updated 7 or 8 months ago. Don't worry about them being abandoned, they just don't NEED to be updated yet because they are still being sold. These machines are used in the most professional of situations and the displays are coveted (except their price) by everybody.

But it is broken, and seriously outdated. Nobody is buying that thing right now. That quad core processor drop in upgrade is the equivalent of the Yikes G4.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaEsperanza View Post

I know there are some people who go to MWSF that are more professionally related, but it is not the focus. However, in my house during college we had 7 macs (8 guys) and each machine had Photoshop. It is a complex program, but it is easy to learn the basics. I see Lightroom as a prosumer (maximum) raw editor. They have programs that do well with consumers and prosumers. Adobe is to Apple what Office is to PC. They are both the essential tools for what their machines perform best at. Can you name a better photo EDITOR (not iPhoto or Aperture) than PS?

The focus is Mac products. That's it. It's all about Mac products. From one end of the spectrum to the other.
  • Reply 51 of 186
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    3GB standard RAM isn't going to happen because of matching pairs. Since there's no 1.5GB sticks, it's either 2GB or 4GB. Apple isn't going to sacrifice the speed for an extra GB of RAM. 4GB then is too much, for now. However, they might announce 8GB BTO options.

I guess Penryn is a given, certainly in MacPro and MBP, probably across the line.

Mini seems ripe for a change too.

New GPUs in MacPro for sure, but as has been said, MacPro is probably going to be a byproduct of the show and not the main topic.

They'll talk about Leopard, iPod touch and iPhone.

Touch might get an update. SDK will be talked about.

There might be talks about iPhone 2.0, but it won't be ready.

What I don't see happening:

-MacPro enclosure redesign

-MacBook update

-iPhone 2.0

I guess the main focus will be talking about successful business in the past year, about where it's going and about the new ultra-portable. Everything else will be rather unimportant.
  • Reply 52 of 186
    As Far as i know having 3GB of RAM wont slow it down. yes there are no 1.5 gig sticks but im quoting dell on this, they have 3GB std. running at 667Mhz

"3GB Dual-channel 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM" - Quoted from dell.

but apple does not have this option.. now the question is.. does it run at 667Mhz?

my friend owns a dell. ill look into it, but im fairly sure its running at 667Mhz.
  • Reply 53 of 186
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Name101 View Post

Doesnt have a MAC, yet. But I am learning. .

Without a MAC you can't get a network connection! Perhaps you meant to say you don't have a Mac yet...
  • Reply 54 of 186
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:

The focus is Mac products. That's it. It's all about Mac products. From one end of the spectrum to the other.

Yea. I remember a year ago at the same event, Steve Jobs talking on and on about the great new Mac iPhone that was coming out in June of 2007. It was all about Mac products. Nothing but Macs.
  • Reply 55 of 186
    Quote:

Without a MAC you can't get a network connection! Perhaps you meant to say you don't have a Mac yet...

If you read your quote it does say "yet"

But I changed it to make more sence.
  • Reply 56 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Name101 View Post

If you read your quote it does say "yet"

But I changed it to make more sence.

I hope they introduce a new Mac Pro, but I can forgo any talk by Steve Jobs about a MAC.
  • Reply 57 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

Yea. I remember a year ago at the same event, Steve Jobs talking on and on about the great new Mac iPhone that was coming out in June of 2007. It was all about Mac products. Nothing but Macs.

If you would pay attention Royboy you would realize we are talking about the vendors at the show.

And now that you mention it, if you did pay attention to the people at the show concerning the keynote last year there was some serious disappointment that there was no new hardware. The iPhone was cool, but it felt like an inappropriate forum.
  • Reply 58 of 186
    Quote:

If you would pay attention Royboy you would realize we are talking about the vendors at the show.

And now that you mention it, if you did pay attention to the people at the show concerning the keynote last year there was some serious disappointment that there was no new hardware. The iPhone was cool, but it felt like an inappropriate forum.

I didn't hear anything about vendors complaining about the lack of new Mac hardware. Just individuals on forums like this one complaining about "nothing new for Mac".
  • Reply 59 of 186
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

I didn't hear anything about vendors complaining about the lack of new Mac hardware. Just individuals on forums like this one complaining about "nothing new for Mac".

Cute, but interweaving my paragraphs/sentences doesn't work. The attendees were complaining. Vendors vend. People that attend are Attendees. Mac users.
  • Reply 60 of 186
    Quote:

onlooker, do you ever get sick of being alone at night? You come onto these forums and give your opinion as if you're Steve-o himself. Attendees and vendors were AMAZED by the iPhone. It was all that it was cracked up to be except that it was on AT&T and not a good network like Verizon or Sprint. It couldn't have come at a better time. It was expected and we weren't let down.

I'm with you Royboy. I just kinda wish onlooker would do what his name means. If you pop out your widget, you'll see that an onlooker is an OBSERVER. They don't toss in their needless ideas that nobody cares about.

Remind you of anything? http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?p=1182080