Apple makes October 14th MacBook event official

Comments

• Reply 21 of 160
    tony1tony1 Posts: 259member
    'bout time.......Yaaaaaay
  • Reply 22 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

Judging by the size of the track-pad, I would say we're going to be getting multiple-hand-gesture MacBooks! Isn't it bigger than the current ones?

Will the "multiple-hand gestures" work with Parallels and Fusion? If I'm using vista can I give it the finger (and various other gestures I probably can't get away with alluding to in this forum)?
  • Reply 23 of 160
    I hope they announce an Atom-based Netbook - I'd buy one!

Also, if they announced a Nahalem-based Single-Socket Desktop, I'd buy that (after Nahalem is actually released, obviously)
  • Reply 24 of 160
    Finally!
  • Reply 25 of 160
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NewMacMan View Post

Judging by the size of the track-pad, I would say we're going to be getting multiple-hand-gesture MacBooks! Isn't it bigger than the current ones?

Assuming the leaked photo is correct, the trackpad looks about the same size and dimension as the current MacBook Air one. The flanges and screw holes kind of imply that it wouldn't be glass either. Almost certainly you can expect a MacBook Air like trackpad with the extra functionality that eliminates the need for mice. Anything extra is not so far indicated by any rumour I have heard and would be a bonus if it happens at all.
  • Reply 26 of 160
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jaimecham View Post

So from previous history, how soon after the announcement event are the units available for ordering at stores and online?

This would be my first Mac too!

Based on their hsitory, if they aren't available in the stores that day, they will most likely be available for pre-order with direct shipments happening from China and arriving with a week. two at the most. But things change, and we have no idea if they are having any issues with these new machines.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MyopiaRocks View Post

Will the "multiple-hand gestures" work with Parallels and Fusion? If I'm using vista can I give it the finger (and various other gestures I probably can't get away with alluding to in this forum)?

Synaptic has recently announced that they will be pushing a driver update, for free, that will allow mutli-touch trackpad gestures (llike what Apple has had this past year), but it needs to be adopted by the OS and the apps that want to use it, so I imagine that adoption will be slow going. This is one reason why Apple's HW/SW tying is helpful. Pros and Cons.
  • Reply 27 of 160
    I am so freaking excited! I am a PC user that is sick of Windoze! It makes me sick how Microsoft comes out with an OS and takes 1 or 2 more years to make it actually work right! (Think XP Service Pak 2 and 3, and Vista). I hate having to reboot for EVERYTHING.

I'm a photographer that is growing it into a side profession and my wife and I are going to start a family w/in the next 1-2 yrs and we'll be getting a camcorder prior to that chapter and shooting a lot i'm sure! I'm so looking forward to being able to handle all that much easier on a Mac!

I'm also bursting at the seams with lack of storage space so I've wanted to buy a new external drive but have been holding out for the Mac first so to avoid formatting frustrations.

Now i can kill all birds with one stone, the holiday season! Also, my company has an EPP for Apple and we just recently got bought out by a PC company so I don't know how long it will stick around! Perfect timing for all of this and I'm so glad the wait is OVER!!!
  • Reply 28 of 160
    OMG YESS.... YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!

I'm finally getting a mac!. I've been waiting over a year for this!
  • Reply 29 of 160
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jak1502 View Post

Finally all will be reviled!

Freudian slip?

• Reply 30 of 160
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

That lid looks exactly the same... Dunno what I expected. Well, yeah I do. I thought they might switch out the backlit apple and replace it with a shiny one like on the iPhone.

Looks to have more of a rounded edge to me.

The slight vertical crease on the top edge is a bit odd though. If it wasn't confirmed I'd almost say this was a fake invite. This is either a bad scan of a paper invitation or someone in the Apple art department needs new glasses.

Every MacBook I've ever owned (started off) with a flat top surface. I don't like this new "bumpy" model.
  • Reply 31 of 160
    Now the question is will they be released on the 14th or just announced for a later release date?
  • Reply 32 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dizzy13 View Post

Now the question is will they be released on the 14th or just announced for a later release date?

If you have a second please take your guess for the release date on a poll on my blog (trying to make the chart look prettier with more votes )

Self promoting your own blog...

Way to go buddy.
  • Reply 33 of 160
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    OMFG FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

I just came, twice. My ballz are bursting with multiple orgasms due to this news!!!!
  • Reply 34 of 160
    that's disgusting.
  • Reply 35 of 160
    Here's an image of the entire invite:

Do you guys see anything special?
  • Reply 36 of 160
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Great News as I am just about to retire my MacBook to my sister in New Zealand.

Perfect timing!
  • Reply 37 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

That lid looks exactly the same... Dunno what I expected. Well, yeah I do. I thought they might switch out the backlit apple and replace it with a shiny one like on the iPhone.

You might still be right, who says the mbp on the picture is the new one? If I look at the other picture off the top shell, it seems like that wasn't designed for the backlit apple, it only has a few holes and if I look at the back of my mbp it doesn't seem like that would give the same light effect.
  • Reply 38 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tekmoe View Post

Self promoting your own blog...

Way to go buddy.

Yeah, your right, it comes up in google anyway, just thought it was relevant enough to post. I'll remove it.
  • Reply 39 of 160
    i don't see anything special about the invite... what do you see??
  • Reply 40 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post

Freudian slip?

Slip of the mouse!!!