Apple makes October 14th MacBook event official

Comments

• Reply 101 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ICD-EVIL View Post

OMG YESS.... YEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS!

I'm finally getting a mac!. I've been waiting over a year for this!

dude... you're buying a mac.
  • Reply 102 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luvosx View Post

Hope there is a smaller tablet without the damned keyboard - I have gotten so used to the iphone keyboard and believe it or not, I quite like it. I really wish a $600 - $700 price point 10" tablet with a dvd drive debuts. Then again, that will eat into the mbp's segment and margins. So they wouldn't do it.

I blame the sun, moon and all the damn planets, including pluto. Curse them all. When will they ever line up for me ?

Let me add to the damned planet and planetlets

1) I don't think a tablet will happen next week. Perhaps MacWorld.

2) I don't think any tablet will have a built in DVD drive. They'll be going LIGHT.

3) I think it's possible a tablet will run iPhone OSX, not Mac OSX.... but that will make it smaller, lighter, and cheaper of course.

edit: I don't buy into it eating into mbp's segment.

It's like saying a bakery isn't going to sell bread rolls because it'll eat into their bread loaf segment.
  • Reply 103 of 160
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cddude View Post

i don't see anything special about the invite... what do you see??

Here is what I see: a general reference to notebooks (presumably MB and MBP) and a notebook corner highlighted. Note that this one has the aluminum (or gun metal? ) color. So the invite probably confirms the rumor circulating some time now that the new Macbook will indeed be metal. Or (rather unlikely) that Apple will unite the existing MB and MBP lines to a larger one.
  • Reply 104 of 160
    I can't stand the anticipation until tuesday. Anyone got any leads where I can get cryogenically frozen till then???

</southpark reference>
  • Reply 105 of 160
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

Here is what I see: a general reference to notebooks (presumably MB and MBP) and a notebook corner highlighted. Note that this one has the aluminum (or gun metal? ) color. So the invite probably confirms the rumor circulating some time now that the new Macbook will indeed be metal. Or (rather unlikely) that Apple will unite the existing MB and MBP lines to a larger one.

Everything is Aluminium (95% chance)

Everything is Brick-made by Apple in its own factory (50% chance)

MB Air: Same sexy thinness, faster CPU

MacBook: Now metal, recyclable, etc. etc. like MB Air but with optical drive, etc.

MacBook Pro: Redesigned to be tapered, sexy like MB Air and MB.

MacBook uses Nvidia chipset

MacBook Pro: ???

And thus are my predictions laid out...
  • Reply 106 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Any reasonable speculation as to what that might mean for the GPU?

One last thing: *** CONFIRMED ***

Someone has to keep the tradition.
  • Reply 107 of 160
    Quote:

Any reasonable speculation as to what that might mean for the GPU?

One last thing: *** CONFIRMED ***

Someone has to keep the tradition.

LOLs.

As for the GPU, the MacBook probably would have a low-8-series nVidia GPU integrated with the motherboard chipset.

For the MacBook Pro, it honestly might be the 8600 M GT still (which is a nice laptop GPU anyways), hopefully they'll bump it to an 8700.

Despite some hardware problems of failed 8-series nVidia cards, the 8-series for the most part is a good workhorse in the nVidia PC and Mac stable.

Apple could go with 9-series nVidia, it would be a really aggressive (hence the warning on "reduced margins") play with nVidia chipsets as well, but it could be what they need to do high performance with real thin and light stuff. We'll have to see.
  • Reply 108 of 160
    Apple is probably very serious about Open CL if all laptops go nVidia GPUs and chipsets. That's pretty big.

I'd say Apple will still have a mix of Intel and ATI somewhere in there. The change of chipset is not so big a deal, because the "secret" is the Brick, which, remember, is the manufacturing process, not about chipset/ PA Semi/ going "back" to RISC/ etc. etc.

(Rambling)

Then again, with Apple, who knows. Hell, I just use Mac + iPhone3G. Sometimes, that's all I need to know. I'm trying to "reflow" my income stream to something that is a bit less hardcore technical, or something less geeky-but-poor.
  • Reply 109 of 160
    Quote:

As for the GPU, the MacBook probably would have a low-8-series nVidia GPU integrated with the motherboard chipset.

Apple could go with 9-series nVidia...

Any hint on how these compare against the current X3100 in the Macbook?
  • Reply 110 of 160
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Why do you keep on with this nonsense? Stop misinforming people, please. So what you mean is that there exists some for some Macs?

In that case your use of NONE is an utter fallacy.

Go to the link please:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...g_vinb_gglsrch

And you wonder why I think you have need the doctors you fix your meds. To your credit, youa ctually linked to a site in an attampt to back up your claim. For that I give you credit. But nowhere on that site is there proof of a 9.5mm drive used, and visual proof that the drive is tray-loading, not the slot-loading drives that Apple has used for every MacBook, G3 and G4 PowerBooks, and perhaps G3/G4 iBooks.

These Sony drives might be 12.7mm tray-loading drives because that are only costing and additional $500 on top of the normal drive cost, but there is no proof of that. But they do also REQUIRE you to use Vista and add 4GB RAM before being able to select this expensive tray-loading drive.

PS: If you think that the word 'some' validates your argument because a Mac Pro, a 17" MBP and 24" iMac can take the latest slot-loading Blu-ray drives then you are even far gone that I had thought. I have been repeatingly stating that the 12.7mm drives are the smallest available, butyou have been claiming that 9.5mm drives are somehow magically possible and for the same $150 pricepoint as the large, cheap tray;-loading drives.

PPS: I'm still waiting for a rationale, intelligent rebuttal as to why Apple would switch to a tray-loading drives just to support Blu-ray, as well as your argument of why they will increase the thickness of their machines to support this niche market.
  • Reply 111 of 160
    MacBook:-

2.4GHz Intel Penryn Core 2 Duo Up to 2.8GHz

2GB to 4GB

250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm

SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) no BulRay

Utilize the newer 16:9 ratio screens also to come in two sizes 11.1″ and 13.3″

MacBook Pro

Nehalem-based Core i7 processors would be nice, But 2.8GHz Penryn Core 2 Duo to 3.6GHz more likely

4GB to 16GB

400GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm

SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW) with BluRay

Utilize the newer 16:9 ratio screens also to come in two sizes 18.4″ 16.4″

This is my perdiction for what its worth. I also think the Pro will have a recessed keypad like MacBook Air. But I think the keys will be metal with backlight in the Chicklet style on Pros.
  • Reply 112 of 160
    Quote:

MB Air: Same sexy thinness, faster CPU

The chip-over-chip change for the MBA keeps the 1.6 and 1.8GHz at 1.6 and 1.83GHz. The TDP get lowered, which is definitely needed.

I really hope they don't go with NIVIDIA. I think it would introduce too many issues. If that is the case I will not be buying a new Mac next week.
  • Reply 113 of 160
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlowrey View Post

2GB to 4GB

MacBook Pro

Nehalem-based Core i7 processors would be nice, But 2.8GHz Penryn Core 2 Duo to 3.6GHz more likely

4GB to 16GB

This is my perdiction for what its worth. I also think the Pro will have a recessed keypad like MacBook Air. But I think the keys will be metal with backlight in the Chicklet style on Pros.

Nehalem - definitely not. Not even the desktop versions are ready yet.

Those processor clock speeds are way out of whack. 3.6 GHz? Do you have any idea how hot that would be or how high the power consumption would be?

Don't expect anything higher than 2.8 GHz at the top end or you'll be disappointed.
  • Reply 114 of 160
    Quote:

MacBook Pro

4GB to 16GB

Unless this prediction is at least 12 months in advance, then prepared to be disappointed.

1) Nehalem isn't out for servers/workstations yet, much less for notebooks

2) Your speeds don't match what is available for Montevina/Penryn.

3) I can only find 4GB SODIMMS in 667MHz RAM, none for DDR3 and certainly not 8GB sticks

4) No known 9.5mm slot-loading BRDs are on the market.
  • Reply 115 of 160
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Indeed. What a pig.

If you look at his post history, it's short and ugly.

Almost all his posts are one liners, the majority are about the US election instead of anything to do with the articles, they are sprinkled with swear words and rude remarks, and the last two threads he started were:

- a racist diatribe about Indians.

- a seven word Troll thread about McCain

A real prize winner.

Indeed, what a jerk.
  • Reply 116 of 160
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:

2GB to 4GB

MacBook Pro

4GB to 16GB

LOL!

Very funny indeed.
  • Reply 117 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

A $600 system that is under powered next to other pc desktops at the same price does not make a good office computer. A harder open case dose not make a office computer. A laptop hard drive in a desktop dose not make a office computer.

Not exactly. It's underpowered in it's current form, yes you are right there. But last year comparing spec/spec a Dell system - SFF (if you can call it Slim when the powerbrick is the size of 2 HP 2133's) ran just over $760 with the same equipment.

The laptop drive is no big deal in an office. Your accessing data over a server based Client/Server network so regardless the speed of the drive it's stuck to network speeds anyways. With average power consumption of 48watts/hour over a workday they use 1/4 the power of a regular desktop, fit well mounted behind a monitor and we can deploy them in a matter of mins to a customers site. The best option we've been using lately has been to consolodate the applications that run on windows to a XP Machine with Elusiva Terminal server and put the mac's into place. This means we only need to repair the terminal server once a month and not every workstation. Trust me, the Mini is BETTER hands down but like you said could use a bump in specs or a really nice $200 drop in price to be competitive.

Hard to open? We lock up the cases at customers site to keep employee's from opening them. There was one customer we had to keep going back to for 3 months (Dell GX240 here) that complained the two computers in one department were slow. We uped the ram to 1gb. Came back the next week on the same call, there's 256mb in the case, back to 1gb. For three months we were doing this and charging the customer (different locations in the office). Long story short, the custodian was fired and brought up on charges of theft totally over $1000 in computer hardware. He was selling the parts on ebay. So hard to open is GOOD for business.
  • Reply 118 of 160
    Quote:

2GB to 4GB

MacBook Pro

4GB to 16GB

No penryn, Montevina and 2.0ghz to 3.06ghz speeds running on a 1066 Bus with DDR3 Ram, Max of 8gb!

I'm not sure THIS update is the one I want. Nehalem will run circles around Montevina. It offers QuickPath and a reduction in instruction sets requiring ancillary chips. Plus it's power management is supposed to control everything from Core's with variable speeds even turned off to variable bus speeds. But Montevina is the path to HD and from what I've read offers as much as 20% power savings over Penryn.

Nehalem cores are only available in small supply for OEM's at the moment. But YES Quad Core mobile's will be around same time next year on that platform. Apple might announce the MacPro's cpu upgrade tuesday to get us all giddy about that since Nehalem will be in full production in about a month or so.
  • Reply 119 of 160
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

it's power management … Core's with … for OEM's at the moment … it's current form … Your accessing data … put the mac's into place … at customers site to keep employee's from opening them … it's power management … Core's with variable speeds … Quad Core mobile's

Please, do yourself a favour and learn what the apostrophe is for.

Those phrases should read:

its power management … Cores with … for OEMs at the moment … its current form … You're accessing data … put the Macs into place … at customers' sites to keep employees from opening them … its power management … Cores with variable speeds … Quad Core mobiles

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

from what I've read offers as much as 20% power savings over Penryn.

Hmmm, the things I read months ago seemed to suggest that Nehalem was actually going to increase power consumption. The (allegedly) massive increase in processing power would still mean better computing power/watt though.
  • Reply 120 of 160
    Quote:

Any hint on how these compare against the current X3100 in the Macbook?

Most likely, unfortunately, whatever nVidia GPU is in the MacBook won't be that much better than the X3100. Unless it is at least an nVidia 8400 but that seems unlikely.