Apple makes October 14th MacBook event official

Comments

• Reply 61 of 160
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Enough with the moon shots - BRING THEM ON!!!
  • Reply 62 of 160
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dizzy13 View Post

Or you haven't been waiting months for the new macbooks to come out so you can start developing apps

I you can code you shouldn't have waited.
  • Reply 63 of 160
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obamadid911 View Post

Yay! This'll be my first Mac purchase. Hopefully I'll quickly pick up on how to use the OS. It's easy right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

As long as you don't try and make it work like Windows, yes.

When I bought my first Mac I spent the first 30 minutes trying to figure out how to install programs and wondering why I am not getting the installer window

I have been holding off on buying a MBP until this update.
  • Reply 64 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I you can code you shouldn't have waited.

I don't own a mac. Well I have an old one, but I can't upgrade it to the new OS. I didn't want to buy a macbook a couple months ago since I knew the new ones would be out soon and I didn't want to bother trying to make my Vista PC dual boot to hackintosh mode.

But hopefully in a couple weeks I can start filling the app store with more useless apps
  • Reply 65 of 160
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cddude View Post

that's disgusting.

Indeed. What a pig.

If you look at his post history, it's short and ugly.

Almost all his posts are one liners, the majority are about the US election instead of anything to do with the articles, they are sprinkled with swear words and rude remarks, and the last two threads he started were:

- a racist diatribe about Indians.

- a seven word Troll thread about McCain

A real prize winner.
  • Reply 66 of 160
    After hearing that the event on Oct 14 is now official I can jump for joy. Now I can retire my 1st gen macbook pro since it's falling to pieces. WIN *hopes for macbook air update as well as macbook and macbook pro updates*
  • Reply 67 of 160
    mbmcavoymbmcavoy Posts: 157member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

When I bought my first Mac I spent the first 30 minutes trying to figure out how to install programs and wondering why I am not getting the installer window

Yeah, first time I downloaded a program, double-clicked the download file, and instantly saw the app icon. I thought "That was fast!" I double-clicked the icon, ran the program and played for a moment, put it on my dock, then cleaned up and deleted the downloaded "installer". Hey, where did my app go?

Oooohhh...

(For the new guy, most program downloads come as a disk image, that you can run directly from, as I had done. Then I deleted the disk image. You "install" it by dragging the app icon into your Applications folder. The icon represents the entire file structure for the app, that gets quickly copied with it, no scattered DLLs! Later, you can uninstall by dragging it from the Applications to the Trash.)

Quick, easy, and intuitive; it "feels" a lot more like actually installing or removing something than running a massive program and hope it doesn't crash like on Windows. I installed Office 2007 on my work PC yesterday, took over an hour with the CPU pegged for much of it!

Maybe I'll have to get my wife her own Mac for Christmas...
  • Reply 68 of 160
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    The image on the invite is of the current product - not the new product.

SJ always starts of with an image of the current product, talks about its success, talks about how it could be bettered, and only then reveals the new product.

They're not going to let the cat out of the bag on the invite itself...
  • Reply 69 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post

So does anyone want to speculate that these laptops will include whatever tech that Peter Oppenheimer referred to in the last quarterly conference call?

I thought (and I'm making no claims, I could be wrong) that these would be the first round of products cranked out of the new "Brick" facility/process. Isn't that the rumored code-name for some super-fancy hi-tech facility or method Apple is supposed to be building here in the US that's like the next generation of Steve's NeXT factory from back in the day?

I had hear water cutters and hi-pressure mold machines were supposed to be utilized in new and exciting ways....

Anybody else heard this or did I dream it?

The other thing I heard speculated by a friend in the investment biz was that Jobs wants to be able to build HERE, because he thinks there may well come a time in the not-too-distant future where trade between China nad the US could hit rough roads, and badly hurt any company that relies on China for business....

Again, total speculation, not trying to start new rumors, but curious if anybody else heard anything similar...
  • Reply 70 of 160
    Anyone else notice from the pics that the shell is now the top half, not the bottom.
  • Reply 71 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by echosonic View Post

I thought (and I'm making no claims, I could be wrong) that these would be the first round of products cranked out of the new "Brick" facility/process. Isn't that the rumored code-name for some super-fancy hi-tech facility or method Apple is supposed to be building here in the US that's like the next generation of Steve's NeXT factory from back in the day?

I had hear water cutters and hi-pressure mold machines were supposed to be utilized in new and exciting ways....

Anybody else heard this or did I dream it?

The other thing I heard speculated by a friend in the investment biz was that Jobs wants to be able to build HERE, because he thinks there may well come a time in the not-too-distant future where trade between China nad the US could hit rough roads, and badly hurt any company that relies on China for business....

Again, total speculation, not trying to start new rumors, but curious if anybody else heard anything similar...

Your correct. Apple isn't the only company looking outside of China, outside if Asia for new facilities. It's a world economy and sadly a world that can be stretched thin by leaders. Manufacturing close to your markets is always ideal.
  • Reply 72 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeystation View Post

You might still be right, who says the mbp on the picture is the new one? If I look at the other picture off the top shell, it seems like that wasn't designed for the backlit apple, it only has a few holes and if I look at the back of my mbp it doesn't seem like that would give the same light effect.

I doubt they would put the MBP on the cover of this invite when they are doing something as big as changing the MB to aluminum. My bet is that this is the MB on the invite.
  • Reply 73 of 160
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    What about the Mini?
  • Reply 74 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

What about the Mini?

Unfortunately, I think the mini will have to wait until Macworld. I just don't see it happening at a notebook event. I could be wrong though.
  • Reply 75 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post

What about the Mini?

the mini is dead. stop whining

(love you)
  • Reply 76 of 160
    Yes! My first Mac will soon be purchased! So long, 4.5 year-old dell notebook. You've served me...grudgingly and in fits and starts.

Wooooo!
  • Reply 77 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macd-to-death View Post

Yes! My first Mac will soon be purchased! So long, 4.5 year-old dell notebook. You've served me...grudgingly and in fits and starts.

Wooooo!

Same for me, just substitute Toshiba for Dell.
  • Reply 78 of 160
    sargessarges Posts: 94member
    what are the chances that the new MBP will sport a 16" LED screen with 16:9 widescreen ratio?
  • Reply 79 of 160
    On that invite, I know the lighting is intentionally dark, BUT could that be a black aluminum MacBook or MBP? I hope so! Black aluminum would be beautiful.
  • Reply 80 of 160
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

I don't get why all the excitement...

I'm looking at the photos on the other page and these laptops look pretty much the same as the last gen. What am I missing?

I think the missing thing you can't see is the 3G data connection. There will be evolutionary changes to bring the products into line but Apple will sell a $800 MacBook and make the money up through a choice of AT&T/O2 etc data packages (which won't be obligatory but will be pushed hard).

I would imagine there will be a choice of three or four data packages, none will be unlimited (too much of a liability for the service providers) but will usher a new era in the way we pay for our Macs.

No-one buys a dirt cheap laptop in the UK really anymore - you can get a free one with a 2 year home (or 3G) broadband connection.