Apple makes October 14th MacBook event official

123578

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ICD-EVIL View Post


    I doubt they would put the MBP on the cover of this invite when they are doing something as big as changing the MB to aluminum. My bet is that this is the MB on the invite.



    Its the 'old' black macbook im pretty sure! They wouldnt put the new product on the invite!
  • Reply 82 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickag View Post


    So does anyone want to speculate that these laptops will include whatever tech that Peter Oppenheimer referred to in the last quarterly conference call?



    Yes - whatever he was referring to should be in this update.

    In fact, the new technology was supposed to reduce the margins LAST quarter... (not reduce the price of the Macs, reduce the margin made on the Macs - big difference).



    I hope the new technology isn't the brick manufacturing process... which (as I understand it) would result in a better more seamless casing for the MacBooks and novel new possibilities. That's good, but I thought it was something affecting what the Mac could do.... like touch screens or hardware h264 encoding etc. I'll have to reread the old rumours to see whether the Brick process fits....
  • Reply 83 of 160
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post


    I think the missing thing you can't see is the 3G data connection.



    Speaking of, will Apple finally offer built-in 3G cards? Would they go with specific carriers; would they offer a proprietary card slot, like they did with their WiFi, so you can choose CDMA2000 or HSUPA; or would they just carry two different builds?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post


    or hardware h264 encoding etc.



    If I recall correctly, Montevina offers built-in H.264 encoding and decoding. There are rumors that NVIDIA will provide the new chipset, but I think that is unlikely.
  • Reply 84 of 160
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Speaking of, will Apple finally offer built-in 3G cards? Would they go with specific carriers; would they offer a proprietary card slot, like they did with their WiFi, so you can choose CDMA2000 or HSUPA; or would they just carry two different builds?.



    I would think they'll stick with AT&T to and use the same tech as in the iPhone. The guaranteed income from a single provider will allow them to push the cost of the laptop right down.
  • Reply 85 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post


    The image on the invite is of the current product - not the new product.



    SJ always starts of with an image of the current product, talks about its success, talks about how it could be bettered, and only then reveals the new product.



    They're not going to let the cat out of the bag on the invite itself...



    Then the apple logo almost doubled in size. Measure it, cross compare with the photo...
  • Reply 86 of 160
    Does anyone have a (intelligent) theory of when the new MBP's will be available for purchase? And is there going to be a rediculous waiting list for the new notebooks?

    I've been biting my nails for over a year waiting for these babies to come out... ever since my POS Dell Latitude died. I am dying of anticipation for Tuesday.
  • Reply 87 of 160
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solsun View Post


    I don't think we'll see Blu-Ray support till Snow Leopard.. Leopard and iLife apps do not currently support Blu-Ray authoring so it'd be more than just a hardware upgrade.



    EDIT: Also, blu-ray would likely debut on the flagship Mac which is the Mac Pro. Mac Pro updates generally happen in Jan/Feb. Macworld should usher in new Mac Pro's, Snow Leopard and iLife 09 with Blu-Ray support.



    Does anyone make a Blu-ray reader + DVD writer?
  • Reply 88 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phong View Post


    What about the Mini?



    Well that and the iMac are NOT gonna sit on older CPU platforms and let the portables run a muck... I think with laptop sales increasing year over year you spotlight the hot selling product. Nehalem is also available from intel for the Mac pro.



    The man who kills off the mini is the man I will return the favor to.



    It needs an update and a repackaging job. Add a Mini Keyboard and mini mouse (aluminum and white plastic) sold ONLY with it, priced at $599 take home. Throw it at the wolves (walmart, target, bestbuy, circuit city) maybe, What's a Mini? The perfect Home Theater component. The perfect office computer. The perfect entry level Macintosh. Now make it so.
  • Reply 89 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chillout View Post


    Does anyone have a (intelligent) theory of when the new MBP's will be available for purchase? And is there going to be a rediculous waiting list for the new notebooks?

    I've been biting my nails for over a year waiting for these babies to come out... ever since my POS Dell Latitude died. I am dying of anticipation for Tuesday.



    Same day. Apparently they were shipped almost a month ago to the states.



    Waiting list? Maybe. Order first=less wait.



    Wanna see if we can bring down the Apple Store server? Everyone set their browser to refresh every 2 seconds on that page, day of.
  • Reply 90 of 160
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post


    Does anyone make a Blu-ray reader + DVD writer?



    There are plenty of those out there, just none (as readers or burners) that fit the current 9.5mm form factor of most Macs.
  • Reply 91 of 160
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Speaking of, will Apple finally offer built-in 3G cards? Would they go with specific carriers; would they offer a proprietary card slot, like they did with their WiFi, so you can choose CDMA2000 or HSUPA; or would they just carry two different builds?



    A standard SIM card slot that works with any GSM carrier's SIM card would provide more choice for customers. It would also be more cost effective for Apple since they would not have to design their own cards.
  • Reply 92 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post


    Same day. Apparently they were shipped almost a month ago to the states.



    Waiting list? Maybe. Order first=less wait.



    Wanna see if we can bring down the Apple Store server? Everyone set their browser to refresh every 2 seconds on that page, day of.



    LETS DO IT!!! lol.
  • Reply 93 of 160
    It's great to know that the new notebooks will likely be offered immediately. Does anybody know how quickly they usually make it onto the Best Buy shelves. I've got a $500 gift card and would love to put it towards a new Mac. The iPods showed up at Best Buy the next day so I was just wondering if it would likely be the same for the new Macs.
  • Reply 94 of 160
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zerfman View Post


    the mini is dead. stop whining



    (love you)



    That'd be fine, as long as they actually made a decision so I can make my decision. For so long they've just ignored it.



    Maybe they will announce the death of the mini at this event and replace it with a wider selection of notebooks.



    (Actually that would not be fine.)
  • Reply 95 of 160
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    There are plenty of those out there, just none (as readers or burners) that fit the current 9.5mm form factor of most Macs.



    Why do you keep on with this nonsense? Stop misinforming people, please. So what you mean is that there exists some for some Macs?

    In that case your use of NONE is an utter fallacy.

    Go to the link please:

    http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...g_vinb_gglsrch
  • Reply 96 of 160
    ive waited so long to see what they would put in the new macbook pros.. i cant wait for Tuesday to come!
  • Reply 97 of 160
    luvosxluvosx Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toboardornot2 View Post


    ive waited so long to see what they would put in the new macbook pros.. i cant wait for Tuesday to come!



    Hope there is a smaller tablet without the damned keyboard - I have gotten so used to the iphone keyboard and believe it or not, I quite like it. I really wish a $600 - $700 price point 10" tablet with a dvd drive debuts. Then again, that will eat into the mbp's segment and margins. So they wouldn't do it.



    I blame the sun, moon and all the damn planets, including pluto. Curse them all. When will they ever line up for me ?
  • Reply 98 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post




    It needs an update and a repackaging job. Add a Mini Keyboard and mini mouse (aluminum and white plastic) sold ONLY with it, priced at $599 take home. Throw it at the wolves (walmart, target, bestbuy, circuit city) maybe, What's a Mini? The perfect Home Theater component. The perfect office computer. The perfect entry level Macintosh. Now make it so.



    A $600 system that is under powered next to other pc desktops at the same price does not make a good office computer. A harder open case dose not make a office computer. A laptop hard drive in a desktop dose not make a office computer.
  • Reply 99 of 160
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post


    A $600 system that is under powered next to other pc desktops at the same price does not make a good office computer. A harder open case dose not make a office computer.



    I'm not so sure about that. At our office, there's a bulky Windows tower stuffed under or on every desk and I for one would rather reclaim some space. They are never, ever opened. In fact, many office workers use laptops, which again are never opened for obvious reasons. Office workers really don't need much power. Their entire use comprises the Office suite and a browser. Graphic designers, video editors and the like obviously would need more power for Photoshop or Final Cut, but the vast majority of office users don't. In fact, I know somebody with a Mini that does 50x more work on it than we ever use our office PCs for.
  • Reply 100 of 160
    The small mini should be at $500 with a bigger mid-tower at $700 and up when apple does not have but they do have a $600 mini with weak hardware and joke a $800 system with 1gb of ram and GMA video then it looks real bad.
Sign In or Register to comment.