BlackBerry unseats iPhone as most popular smartphone in Q1

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Aggressive promotions through its US wireless carrier helped push BlackBerry maker Research in Motion ahead Apple and the iPhone to take honors as the most popular smartphone maker during the first quarter of 2009.

During the three-month period ended March, RIM's consumer smartphone market share increased 15 percent to nearly 50 percent of the smartphone market versus the prior quarter, according to market research firm NPD.

The rise was good enough unseat previous top-slot holder Apple, whose iPhone along with handsets manufactured by Palm saw their share of the market each decline by about 10 percent.

NPD attributed the shift largely to an aggressive "buy-one-get-one" promotion by Verizon Wireless that helped RIM's BlackBerry Curve move past the iPhone to become the best-selling consumer smartphone in the U.S. in the first quarter.

"The more familiar, and less expensive, Curve benefited from these giveaways and was able to leapfrog the iPhone, due to its broader availability on the four major U.S. national carriers," said analyst Ross Rubin.

The promotion also contributed to RIM capturing two additional top five positions, namely the the third slot, which went to the BlackBerry Storm, and the fourth, which was made up of all BlackBerry Pearl handsets with the exception of flip models. T-Mobile's G1 handset running Google's open Android software was the fifth most popular smartphone during the quarter.

Overall, smartphones saw their share of the global cell phone market rise 6 percent on a year-over-year basis to 23 percent. Rubin sees this as a sign that, even in the challenging economy, consumers are "migrating toward Web-capable handsets and their supporting data plans to access more information and entertainment on the go."

Apple's fall from top of the smartphone charts wasn't unforeseen. The Cupertino-based company said last month it shipped 3.79 million iPhones during the first calendar quarter of the year. By comparison, RIM sold a record 7.8 million BlackBerries -- or more than double the number of iPhones. -- between December and the end of February.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 166
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Wow. Just wow. They already say iPhone iPod falling flat ala sales.

New ms ads bad Eco.

Winder what happens when pre comes out

Win 7 with no more support for xp 98 and just one

Msft touch machine tab

All iPhone contracts expire.

Holy molt.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Aggressive promotions through its US wireless carrier helped push BlackBerry maker Research in Motion ahead Apple and the iPhone to take honors as the most popular smartphone maker during the first quarter of 2009.

During the three-month period ended March, RIM's consumer smartphone market share increased 15 percent to nearly 50 percent of the smartphone market versus the prior quarter, according to market research firm NPD.

The rise was good enough unseat previous top-slot holder Apple, whose iPhone along with handsets manufactured by Palm saw their share of the market each decline by about 10 percent.

NPD attributed the shift largely to an aggressive "buy-one-get-one" promotion by Verizon Wireless that helped RIM's BlackBerry Curve move past the iPhone to become the best-selling consumer smartphone in the U.S. in the first quarter.

"The more familiar, and less expensive, Curve benefited from these giveaways and was able to leapfrog the iPhone, due to its broader availability on the four major U.S. national carriers," said analyst Ross Rubin.

The promotion also contributed to RIM capturing two additional top five positions, namely the the third slot, which went to the BlackBerry Storm, and the fourth, which was made up of all BlackBerry Pearl handsets with the exception of flip models. T-Mobile's G1 handset running Google's open Android software was the fifth most popular smartphone during the quarter.

Overall, smartphones saw their share of the global cell phone market rise 6 percent on a year-over-year basis to 23 percent. Rubin sees this as a sign that, even in the challenging economy, consumers are "migrating toward Web-capable handsets and their supporting data plans to access more information and entertainment on the go."

Apple's fall from top of the smartphone charts wasn't unforeseen. The Cupertino-based company said last month it shipped 3.79 million iPhones during the first calendar quarter of the year. By comparison, RIM sold a record 7.8 million BlackBerries -- or more than double the number of iPhones. -- between December and the end of February.

• Reply 2 of 166
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    RIM sells across several wireless provides, Apple only sells through one provider. Apple needs to break free and sell through more providers.
  • Reply 3 of 166
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Pic of iPhone Pro at http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...ne-Pro2_02.jpg

Break loose perhaps, isn't RIM only with Verizon though?

iPhoners would probably stay in their contracts IMO.
  • Reply 4 of 166
    jimprydejimpryde Posts: 6member
    Of course their sales would skyrocket with BOGO deals. Plenty of elementary kids who just "Neeeeeeeeed" a Blackberry.

I'm reminded of Dennis Miller talking about BOGO suits at K-Mart.

"Two of sh*t is still sh*t"
  • Reply 5 of 166
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Congrats to RIM for a job well done.
  • Reply 6 of 166
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    It makes no sense from a business standpoint for Apple not to venture out and offer the iphone on other carriers. This data simply drives that fact past common sense into just plain duh.

I think any product has it's ups and downs though. The hype around the iphone is lower now, but will inevitably explode again when the new iphone is unveiled.

Out of curiosity, will the prices on the current iphone model drop when they start selling the new iphone?
  • Reply 7 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iStink View Post

It makes no sense from a business standpoint for Apple not to venture out and offer the iphone on other carriers. This data simply drives that fact past common sense into just plain duh.

I think any product has it's ups and downs though. The hype around the iphone is lower now, but will inevitably explode again when the new iphone is unveiled.

Out of curiosity, will the prices on the current iphone model drop when they start selling the new iphone?

I agree on the carriers. Though I have been an AT&T/Cingular/SW Bell Wireless/Ameritech customer for going on 15 years now, I think it would benefit Apple to branch out. I realize they wanted to put their eggs in one basket regarding development of features like visual voicemail, but can it be that hard to create features like that on other networks?

As for the new iPhone, I hope there are some stunning new features and improvements. I have yet to bite on the iPhone yet, but was tempted with the refurbed 16GB for $149. Still, for me that is a boatload of cash for a phone. I have yet to pay more than $29 for a phone. Heck, my Palm Centro was free, and it does a decent job though the keyboard is ridiculously small.
  • Reply 8 of 166
    alonso perezalonso perez Posts: 385member
    That kind of two-for-one antic will cost RIM dearly in the next quarter.

That said, clearly RIM is the most important competitor in the long run. People who own Blackberries are fiercely loyal. They are just like Apple fans. RIM would have to have not one, but several duds in order to lose them, and that's not likely.

Competition is good. Everybody needs to keep on their toes.
  • Reply 9 of 166
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I'm sorry but nothing could be more relentless than the "There's an App for That" commercials.
  • Reply 10 of 166
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Holy molt.

I really doubt that iPhone owners, even those whose contracts will expire, will leave the iPhone along with the money they invested in buying their iPhone apps anytime soon.

I don't know why people think of Jun/July as the magic date where iPhone owners will expire their contracts?!! The 1st generation iPhone was sold for a whole year before it was replaced by the 3G version and the majority of 1st iPhone owners (in the US) upgraded. I am also sure that almost all of those who did not upgrade will go for the new iPhone coming this summer so they can keep using their apps (professional, games, .. etc).
  • Reply 11 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I really doubt that iPhone owners, even those whose contracts will expire, will leave the iPhone along with the money they invested in buying their iPhone apps anytime soon.

I don't know why people think of Jun/July as the magic date where iPhone owners will expire their contracts?!! The 1st generation iPhone was sold for a whole year before it was replaced by the 3G version and the majority of 1st iPhone owners (in the US) upgraded. I am also sure that almost all of those who did not upgrade will go for the new iPhone coming this summer so they can keep using their apps (professional, games, .. etc).

They could also opt for a Touch and a really good phone.
  • Reply 12 of 166
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

That said, clearly RIM is the most important competitor in the long run. People who own Blackberries are fiercely loyal. They are just like Apple fans. RIM would have to have not one, but several duds in order to lose them, and that's not likely.

I don't think Apple and RIMM are behind each other customers. The biggest market right now are those who don't own a smart phone.
  • Reply 13 of 166
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimpryde View Post

I have yet to bite on the iPhone yet, but was tempted with the refurbed 16GB for $149. Still, for me that is a boatload of cash for a phone. I have yet to pay more than $29 for a phone.

You do realize that the iPhone is more than a phone right? How much did you pay for your iPod?
  • Reply 14 of 166
    How many of those Blackberries were promoted and sold via AT&T with their relentless promotion for their self proclaimed outstanding 3G network?

Just wondering.\
  • Reply 15 of 166
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Wow. Just wow. They already say iPhone iPod falling flat ala sales.

New ms ads bad Eco.

Winder what happens when pre comes out

Win 7 with no more support for xp 98 and just one

Msft touch machine tab

Holy molt.

Damn learn how to spell and make sense.
  • Reply 16 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimpryde View Post

As for the new iPhone, I hope there are some stunning new features and improvements. I have yet to bite on the iPhone yet, but was tempted with the refurbed 16GB for $149. Still, for me that is a boatload of cash for a phone. I have yet to pay more than $29 for a phone. Heck, my Palm Centro was free, and it does a decent job though the keyboard is ridiculously small.

And the AT&T iPhone plan ain't cheap either.
  • Reply 17 of 166
    italiankiditaliankid Posts: 279member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm sorry but nothing could be more relentless than the "There's an App for That" commercials.

hahahaha

I agree... I see an Ad every hour for the iPhone in Canada...

Lets make no excuse... the RIM deserves credit when due!

CONGRATS BLACKBERRY!
  • Reply 18 of 166
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

There's no reason not to upgrade unless you're against paying $15 more per month... (oh wait!)
  • Reply 19 of 166
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

You do realize that the iPhone is more than a phone right? How much did you pay for your iPod?

I have a nano that was given to me and a 15GB 2nd generation iPod, that was free with the purchase of a Mac. So, technically my iPods cost me nothing.

Someone else mentioned the plan, which is a big part of my reluctance. I don't send more than 5 texts per month, but the apps available make it worth having the phone. I'm becoming more of a fan of a world without wires.
  • Reply 20 of 166
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

They could also opt for a Touch and a really good phone.

Who are you kidding? No one is going from one device that they love to two devices that replicate the same functions (kinda - you'd still be giving up some things, like GPS and the 3G app integration (facebook uploading from the road and the like). You're really reaching here, it's kinda sad.