Palm Pre teardown shows iPhone-inspired design

Comments

• Reply 21 of 269
    gregoriusmgregoriusm Posts: 513member
    That Missing Sync for the Pre looks pretty good. It does help make the Pre more marketable.

I can see the Pre as being a good phone for a goodly number of people?

Is it as good as or equal to or better than the iPhone? That's the user's perception. For a lot of people, the G1 with Android is great. A million people bought it. So, the Pre might just be what a lot of people are looking for.

Is Apple's iPhone perfect? Far from it. But is it the best one for you? Again, that's for you to decide. Thank goodness we have choices.

I, for one, am glad the Pre is out, and I hope it does reasonably well. Competition is great, even if only a few features are better than the iPhone, it will hopefully push Apple to include those features in future upgrades.

So, is the Pre for you? Software like Missing Sync go a long way toward making the Pre a more viable option.

For me, I'm going to get the next generation iPhone, even though there are things I don't like about it. The sum of its parts, for me, make it the phone/micro-computer I want to own. Others will enjoy the Pre, or some other smartphone, and for them, it is better than the iPhone.

Choice is good.

Greg
  • Reply 22 of 269
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

So your are willing to buy the old iPhone 3G again for the next two years? All the Pre has done (on hardware level) is catch up with the iPhone 3G which is about to be phased out. You want to go to a website on the Pre? You go to the browser. Shift open de keyboard. Type in the web address. Slide it in again to read the website. Now imagine that you are reading a web page sideways (which I do a lot). You then want to go to a different web site. You first have to turn the phone, shift open the keyboard, type in the address, shift the keyboard back in and turn the phone sideways again. What an obvious design error. At least they should have, just like the G1, have the keyboard come out from the side. This way they would have had more space for the keys, which I read are very hard to type with, and wouldn't have to turn the phone back and forth to type things on a webpage or other stuff. The Pre's touch interface is plastic. Not glass!! I remember when the iPhone first came out everybody was so worried that the iPhone would be a scratch magnet. Now I would like to see those same tests on the Pre.

On software level the Pre is still far behind. Games wont be very easy to make for that phone. And if you know a little bit about creating and programming web pages the options are very limited. One needs to really go to big extremes to make the user think he is not handling a web page but an actual app. You can copy and paste on the Pre but only editable text. Well there you go. The Palm made a little step. Where the new iPhone will make a leap. And not only the new iPhone also all the older ones.

Multitasking

This feature is so overrated. Sure that are instances that you would like to have two processes run coincide with each other. But is that worth the battery drainage? Sure you can cary a spare battery with you. Then you must add that to the mass of the phone which eventually will make your phone thicker on average. When the hardware is ready Apple will introduce multitasking. But at this moment the batteries and processors are not efficient enough to make this feature an enjoyable one.

This monday the new iPhone will come out and will have the same amount RAM and probably a processor that matches the Pres'. Then the dock connector will be open for 3rd party development. Which will by itself attract and create a whole new market. If a lot of companies start making hardware for the iPhone and use the iPhones' interface. The iPhone will really take off as the next big platform. The Pre will have all its starters issues. Which the iPhone already had. But hey when the iPhone had all these issues there were no better alternatives. Now there are and if Palm slips up enough the consumer will think twice.

We will see but I obviously believe that this phone is absolutely not a game changer. It's just a me too phone.

Fine post.
  • Reply 23 of 269
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Try an S60 Nokia for instance, and you'll see what I mean. On my old N95-8GB I could have *every* application on the phone open at once without any noticable difference in performance. That's true multitasking working elegantly and efficiently.

Banter means to talk, so it makes sense

They certainly worked hard on it, but perhaps not hard enough. This is one of the problems of taking a full blown computer OS and shoehorning it onto a device with very limited resources. I think Apple would have been better off starting from the ground up when designing its mobile OS, rather than starting with OSX and trying to work backwards. That way they would have been able to have all of the great features currently available, and fully multitasking!

And the iPhone has good battery life?! Don't make me laugh! The iPhone has the worst battery life on any device I've used in the last 3 years for mobile internet browsing. From taking if off charge just before 7am, my iPhone can be at 20% or less, easily, by 11am. Battery life is one of the biggest flaws of the iPhone!

So you say that the battery lasts 4 hours of internet usage... So, why is it so bad? I've never tested a phone with a battery much better than that!

And I also doubt, or better, don't believe in a f*cking word you said about your Oh-so-powerful Nokia.
  • Reply 24 of 269
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Try an S60 Nokia for instance, and you'll see what I mean. On my old N95-8GB I could have *every* application on the phone open at once without any noticable difference in performance. That's true multitasking working elegantly and efficiently.

Something tells me that those applications weren't actually open at once... they just seemed to be.

Quote:

They certainly worked hard on it, but perhaps not hard enough. This is one of the problems of taking a full blown computer OS and shoehorning it onto a device with very limited resources. I think Apple would have been better off starting from the ground up when designing its mobile OS, rather than starting with OSX and trying to work backwards. That way they would have been able to have all of the great features currently available, and fully multitasking!

Here you let yourself down. As an iPhone developer, I can totally disagree with you here.

iPhone is as capable as it can be in all areas due to its foundation of the OSX core. Nevertheless, Apple also DID create a whole new OS in the project. They created a whole new ultra-efficient movie system (Now ported back as QuickTime X) as well as Layer Kit, a low level, fundamental animation system that can work perfectly on very very low powered devices, which is now on both platforms as Core Animation. They also did heavy modification to the OS, in significant places, like Core Audio, etc.

The Apple APIs from Mac OS X that are cross platform existed and ran multiple applications when computers had a 10th the resources of an iPhone. The issue is NOT with OS X on the iPhone.

The issue for battery life is device-level features, especially the cellular radio and GPS. This has nothing to do with Mac OS X and the cross-ported API stack. The cellular radio is the issue with background applications. Internet access (which is the main reason an application wants to run in the background) will create major drains in battery life. Constant polling, open sockets, etc, are always going to be the iPhone's let down.

You need to think for a second about what you're talking about. Mac OS X ran perfectly on MACS with iPhone level capabilities. The issue is not the OS! The issue is device features.

Quote:

And the iPhone has good battery life?! Don't make me laugh! The iPhone has the worst battery life on any device I've used in the last 3 years for mobile internet browsing. From taking if off charge just before 7am, my iPhone can be at 20% or less, easily, by 11am. Battery life is one of the biggest flaws of the iPhone!

Perhaps you should investigate 1) turning off 3G 2) lowering your lighting level 3) checking how much you're using your device, and how much you expect of it.

The iPhone is pretty average in battery life specs for 3G. The difference, however, is the way you use it that causes faster battery drain, not the device itself.
  • Reply 25 of 269
    lukeskymaclukeskymac Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

Fine post.

Ditto, that summarizes why the Pre is going to die even before it can get any significant portion of the market.
  • Reply 26 of 269
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:

So you say that the battery lasts 4 hours of internet usage... So, why is it so bad? I've never tested a phone with a battery much better than that!

And I also doubt, or better, don't believe in a f*cking word you said about your Oh-so-powerful Nokia.

Because 4 hours isn't very long? Try an S60 device yourself before passing comment

Quote:

Something tells me that those applications weren't actually open at once... they just seemed to be.

No, they were all very much open and running in the background. Why is that so hard to believe? It really IS possible on a mobile device!

Quote:

Perhaps you should investigate 1) turning off 3G 2) lowering your lighting level 3) checking how much you're using your device, and how much you expect of it.

These would all be great suggestions if they didn't have a massive effect on the usability of the device! My battery life would be longer, but I'd be waiting an age longer for web pages to load, and I'd be squinting to see them in the dim light! That simply trades bad battery life for a poor user experience, and isn't really a good solution to the problem.
  • Reply 27 of 269
    Funny that I remember the industry claiming that Apple couldn't just come along and 'get intot the phone market' and here we are now, two years on and Apple guys/Apple philosophy is simply being adopted by other phone companies...

Bizarre...
  • Reply 28 of 269
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    I really love that one...

"Hey, U there! I mean you, silly guy, who've permitted carrier to have contracted yourself for 2 years! Shut up right out of here and shut down 3G on your phone now, as you haven't been smart enough to have run a survey on how fast it's been draining batteries"
  • Reply 29 of 269
    Quote:

These would all be great suggestions if they didn't have a massive effect on the usability of the device! My battery life would be longer, but I'd be waiting an age longer for web pages to load, and I'd be squinting to see them in the dim light! That simply trades bad battery life for a poor user experience, and isn't really a good solution to the problem.

If you're using your device, turn on 3G. If you're not, turn it off. Is that such a hard concept to grasp?

As for your screen, turn it to a brightness you can see without it being on full power. You don't have to pick between two extremes.

You're just a whiner. You won't be happy till you get a phone that lasts you a week with a full battery at 4G speeds with 24-7 downloads with a screen that is brighter than a fluorescent light. Massive effect on usability my arse!

Unless you're using your device constantly at that rate, you won't get your battery down to 4 hours. Its as simple as that.

Does your S60 render pages with a full desktop web browser engine, run applications of desktop class, with touch interface, a 3.5 inch display, with accelerometer-based device orientation? Perhaps you should be a little bit more reasonable with your comparisons on that front hey?
  • Reply 30 of 269
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

If you're using your device, turn on 3G. If you're not, turn it off. Is that such a hard concept to grasp?

As for your screen, turn it to a brightness you can see without it being on full power. You don't have to pick between two extremes.

You're just a whiner. You won't be happy till you get a phone that lasts you a week with a full battery at 4G speeds with 24-7 downloads with a screen that is brighter than a fluorescent light. Massive effect on usability my arse!

Unless you're using your device constantly at that rate, you won't get your battery down to 4 hours. Its as simple as that.

Does your S60 render pages with a full desktop web browser engine, run applications of desktop class, with touch interface, a 3.5 inch display, with accelerometer-based device orientation? Perhaps you should be a little bit more reasonable with your comparisons on that front hey?

I'm not happy with the idea of constantly switching 3G on and off. I use my device sporadically throughout the day, maybe once every 5-10mins or so for 30seconds to 2 minutes at a time. I would be switching 3G on and off about 20 times a day at least - major hassle. Full screen brightness is the level I am comfortable with.

A battery that lasts to the end of the business day would be fine instead of needing to be charged midway through the day

Yes S60 renders pages with full desktop web browser engine - surely you know this already?. And if all of those other aspects were important to me, I could have them too (N97), but they aren't, so I'm not so fussed there.
  • Reply 31 of 269
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    The amazing thing about the Pre is that it is a full Slider phone which are very popular. This enables (slider) it to keep a smaller form factor and ergonomically easier to operate as opposed to only a slide out keyboard. It also is easier to transport in your pants pocket- very cool.As a long time user of a slider (LG Chocolate) this is a major feature for me as it maintains a small form to put into your pants pocket. While I don't mind walking around with an iPod Touch in my pocket, anything thicker (iPhone) is simply to large.
  • Reply 32 of 269
    EDIT: @mrochester

Then the iPhone obviously isn't for you is it?

Why do you have one if all you're going to do is complain that it doesn't give you perfection?
  • Reply 33 of 269
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The amazing thing about the Pre is that it is a full Slider phone which are very popular. This enables (slider) it to keep a smaller form factor and ergonomically easier to operate as opposed to only a slide out keyboard. It also is easier to trasnpot in your pants pocket- very cool.As a long time user of a slider (LG Chocolate) this is a major feature for me as it maintains a small form to put into your pants pocket. While I don't mind walking around with an iPod Touch in my pocket, anything thicker (iPhone) is simply to large.

If you put your iPod Touch and chocolate together, would they be thinner than the iPhone?
  • Reply 34 of 269
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Constantly turning on an off a radio isn't an elegant solution. That's five taps on each startup and shut down that shouldn't be necessary in my opinion. Shouldn't the device do that kind of power management on its own?

Quote:

It helps to "know your enemy", and a few of your statements show that you don't. Nokia uses Webkit. It only took me a minute to find that and to find that it has a compass. They do offer touch capability now, though that probably depends on the model.

I don't know how iPhone's applications are necessarily desktop class, they're nifty, but desktop class is overselling it. Maybe better than most other portable platforms. Maybe some iPhone apps are on the level of a relatively simple desktop applet, but most are of the complexity of a Dashboard widget. For example, there are a few very simple word processors, but nothing on the scale of Pages that I've seen, more like TextEdit at best.
  • Reply 35 of 269
    Quote:

These fanboys make me laugh so hard. Every iPhone user I know in NYC:

1.) Has to constantly (daily) recharge their iPhone or leave it plugged in while using it. CONSTANTLY.

2.) At the beach houses none of them get a signal- either Martha's Vineyard or Fire Island- their phone just don't work!

3.) My friend just got back from Hawaii and said his Verizon phone was the only one in his group that got a signal. No iPhones could maintain a call. People were borrowing his phone.;

Summary- both the Battery life and AT&T are a joke.
  • Reply 36 of 269
    Quote:

If you put your iPod Touch and chocolate together, would they be thinner than the iPhone?

NO. but the Pre would be both - smaller and thinner. My point is Apple should have had a smaller form factor of the iPhone ( another version like all phones have). It could have been a slider , making it smaller, but Pre has beat them to the punch.
  • Reply 37 of 269
    Quote:

EDIT: @mrochester

Then the iPhone obviously isn't for you is it?

Why do you have one if all you're going to do is complain that it doesn't give you perfection?

Huh? I'd rather talk about the way Apple could improve the iphone than pretend they have already achieved perfection and nothing could be improved.
  • Reply 38 of 269
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I'm not happy with the idea of constantly switching 3G on and off. I use my device sporadically throughout the day, maybe once every 5-10mins or so for 30seconds to 2 minutes at a time. I would be switching 3G on and off about 20 times a day at least - major hassle. Full screen brightness is the level I am comfortable with.

A battery that lasts to the end of the business day would be fine instead of needing to be charged midway through the day

Yes S60 renders pages with full desktop web browser engine - surely you know this already?. And if all of those other aspects were important to me, I could have them too (N97), but they aren't, so I'm not so fussed there.

The N97 is a fine device, The browser engine is based on WebKit. I doubt that even the latest version of S60 uses a very modern version of the popular mobile browser.

The stated battery times for the N97 are:
    Talk time: Up to 6.0 hours (3G), 9.5 hours (GSM)

Standby time: Up to 17 days (3G), 18 days (GSM)

Video playback: Up to 4.5 hours (offline mode)

Video recording: Up to 3.6 hours (offline mode)

Music playback: Up to 40 hours (offline mode)
    Compared to the iPhone 3G:
    Talk time:

Up to 5 hours on 3G

Up to 10 hours on 2G

Standby time: Up to 300 hours [12.5 days]

Internet use:

Up to 5 hours on 3G6

Up to 6 hours on Wi-Fi7

Video playback: Up to 7 hours

Audio playback: Up to 24 hours

Some of the explanations are codec differences, HW differences, knowledge of cellular radios, even the battery size differences. While the OS being used is an issue, it’s not the only factor to consider. Apple has done well to make Mac OS X a mobile OS. It’s not an easy feat and one that will surely help Apple as the OS and mobile HW matures. Most of the other OSes are hurting now because they were designed for much slower HW with less capabilities. I wouldn’t call iPhone OS X a problem with the iPhone.

edit: Nokia doesn’t list internet usage and it’s clear that they don’t do realistic testing like Apple and Sony. Nor can I find any tests comparing the two.
  • Reply 39 of 269
    Quote:

I usually put them in different pockets.
  • Reply 40 of 269
    gedosgedos Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I usually put them in different pockets.

See. True multi-tasking in trousers (or pants).