Palm Pre teardown shows iPhone-inspired design

Comments

• Reply 81 of 269
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

What a stupid article. Of course they are similar in construction. They share the same characteristics and size. How else would you jam all that crap into handheld device?

There will always be similiarity between handhelds, the comparisons are with the more Apple-like design. If you look at the breakdown of other smartphones you see that the Pre innards look a lot more like the iPhone than other devices.

If Apple has Been able to utilize the PA Semi staff for the next iPhone the Pre may look very archaic in comparison.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

The Pre isn't thinner than the iPhone.

It's simply astounding how completely wrong is always is. Why thinks adding a keyboard and the HW mechanism for a slider would make it thinner is too absurd to be a real post. Could this be some professor doing a experiement on how much idiacy one can take before they reach their limit? It's harder and harder to think him a real life human being.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by steviet02 View Post

Posting from your iPhone I see....

HAHA It is often obvious when typing on an iPhone. I'd love an app for the iPhone and Mac that let me edit the corrected word list.
  • Reply 82 of 269
    smilingoatsmilingoat Posts: 153member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregoriusM View Post

That Missing Sync for the Pre looks pretty good. It does help make the Pre more marketable.

I can see the Pre as being a good phone for a goodly number of people?

Is it as good as or equal to or better than the iPhone? That's the user's perception. For a lot of people, the G1 with Android is great. A million people bought it. So, the Pre might just be what a lot of people are looking for.

Is Apple's iPhone perfect? Far from it. But is it the best one for you? Again, that's for you to decide. Thank goodness we have choices.

I, for one, am glad the Pre is out, and I hope it does reasonably well. Competition is great, even if only a few features are better than the iPhone, it will hopefully push Apple to include those features in future upgrades.

So, is the Pre for you? Software like Missing Sync go a long way toward making the Pre a more viable option.

For me, I'm going to get the next generation iPhone, even though there are things I don't like about it. The sum of its parts, for me, make it the phone/micro-computer I want to own. Others will enjoy the Pre, or some other smartphone, and for them, it is better than the iPhone.

Choice is good.

Greg

Very well said.

i sold my iPhone 3G because i could not live with all of the dropped calls and service drops (reception was horrible on the phone, apparently they fixed it with a software update after i sold the phone)

either way other than that it was the most perfect device for me, sure it would get a little choppy and slow down if it had been on for a few weeks, but a simple re-boot always cured that, i also had to charge the battery every single day, however its easy enough to plug in by my bedside at night...

personally the palm pre, after holding it and examining it, just isnt the right *feel*. i thought that before i even saw it, by watching videos on the nets, and sure enough when i picked it up, i felt the same way.

one device that i think (were it a phone) would do well, is the ZuneHD. ive watched every video and read every review of the damn thing, its simple just a great looking device.

and the software looks simple and straight forward. but i dont see it being a phone anymore... i think they would have mentioned that already if it was the case.
  • Reply 83 of 269
    macshackmacshack Posts: 103member
    Quote:

Not to mention that the iPhone DOES multitask, it just has a predetermined set of applications that multitask.

It'd be nice to somehow manually "award" one other app the ability to leave it running after closing. Let the user decide if the battery hit is worth it.

As for removable batteries, I've never understood why this is a big deal. I bought a battery for my iPhone - when I need to recharge I plug it in and it recharges as if I am plugged into a wall. I don't have to turn off the phone or take it apart. How is this solution inferior to having an internal replacement? The thing gives me TWO full charges, not just one.

I know the iPhone has multitasking. Multitasking isn't the problem. But letting the user or the program choose how or when to multitask is a very dangerous thing. On a desk- or laptop you don't have this problem very quickly. But on a phone with limited resources in processor power, RAM and battery life. I do believe that at this point Apple is using the best solution for these challenges.
  • Reply 84 of 269
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Lag can come from a number of different sources, not necessarily from bugs in the OS. Lag can depend on the quality of the app you are attempting to launch, it can depend on the amount of available RAM at the moment, it can depend on the last time you've turned off the phone and allowed the system to reset. These are the same issues that cause lag in full desktop computers.

I have seen the deleting text bug you are talking about. But it only happens for me on AI. I've never had it happen in any other situation. So is the problem with the OS or is their some problem with how it interacts with AI.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

I would be a bit happier if the iPhone didn't lag all the time. You all know what I mean. Launch an app and wait. Click app what's around me then search, bit sure if you hit and are not sure it was hit so you do it again only to watch it open and close very quickly twice. Or how about deleting text in a post like this, you backspace for a few seconds and it doesn't stop deleting forcing you to re type. These are thing we put up with all the time. Wonder if ore solved any of theses glitches?????

• Reply 85 of 269
    steviet02steviet02 Posts: 594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

The reason for this is because on average they have 100 apps loaded on their phone and they are constantly using it. This is not the case for other phones.

Actually, I would suspect roaming from site to site in a city would be a more likely candidate. Not the amount of apps loaded.

edit:

Considering you can only use one app at a time (we are talking 3rd party apps) I highly doubt that a battery drains that quick. I use apps like pandora and ootunes for ~4-5 hrs before they kill the battery. The GPS I noticed is a real drain though.
  • Reply 86 of 269
    If you only ever used the iPhone for phone calls, it can last for two or three days.

Many (if not most) of the iPhone's apps are just a front end UI to a web data base, so using the app is using the internet. On average iPhone users have around 100 apps loaded, people are using the apps, and that kills the battery quicker.

Quote:

Actually, I would suspect roaming from site to site in a city would be a more likely candidate. Not the amount of apps loaded.

edit:

Considering you can only use one app at a time (we are talking 3rd party apps) I highly doubt that a battery drains that quick. I use apps like pandora and ootunes for ~4-5 hrs before they kill the battery. The GPS I noticed is a real drain though.

• Reply 87 of 269
    Quote:

It'd be nice to somehow manually "award" one other app the ability to leave it running after closing. Let the user decide if the battery hit is worth it.

i agree for the most part.

but i also see how apple, being under constant scrutiny, has to protect it's reputation in the general public. the majority of people wouldn't use this feature judiciously, they would just max it out and then complain about battery life, and then the iphone would pick up a poor reputation due to nothing more than user misuse.

case in point:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Full screen brightness is the level I am comfortable with.

A battery that lasts to the end of the business day would be fine instead of needing to be charged midway through the day

Full brightness is ridiculously unnecessary, unless you have significant vision problems, in which case, apple cannot cater exclusively to such an extreme minority.
  • Reply 88 of 269
    Apple has a patent for predictive text UI that lists words that look like the word you are attempting to type. That allows you to more easily select the exact word. This UI is used in Google's iPhone app. I wonder why Apple does not use it system wide.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

HAHA It is often obvious when typing on an iPhone. I'd love an app for the iPhone and Mac that let me edit the corrected word list.

• Reply 89 of 269
    Quote:

edit:

I'd wager his point was that most users have many apps that they are constantly aceessing --not that the additonal apps are draining the battery just from being installed-- whereas other phones aren't are excessively used.

I use the GPS app very frequently and it does drain the battery rather quickly. I hope that improves with the next model but I still expect it be the weakest point in battery duration.
  • Reply 90 of 269
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Apple has a patent for predictive text UI that lists words that look like the word you are attempting to type. That allows you to more easily select the exact word. This UI is used in Google's iPhone app. I wonder why Apple does not use it system wide.

Even on the Mac, if you mistakenly add a word to the "ignore spelling" list you have to go through some funky steps to fix it. Perhaps someone has made an app for it, but Apple surely doesn't have an easy way to add and remove words.
  • Reply 91 of 269
    Oh yes, I am saying the battery is drained from frequent use of the apps, not from the apps existence on the phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'd wafer his point was that most uses have many apps that they are constantly aceessing --not that the additonal apps are draining the battery just from being installed-- whereas other phones aren't are excessively used.

• Reply 92 of 269
    mrochestermrochester Posts: 700member
    Quote:

I don't believe this at all. If it were true Nokia would be using this fact in its marketing. At the very least if it were true it would have been mentioned in the last two years of debate about the iPhone multi-tasking.

Well of course this is true... that's what you get when you have 128mb RAM.

Quote from the All About Symbian Review

Quote:

The system RAM has been doubled to 128MB, meaning that there's now around 95MB of free RAM after booting. This figure is slightly higher than you might have guessed because the N95 8GB also features 'demand paging', i.e. only the bits of applications that are strictly needed are loaded into RAM, other bits are left on disk until needed. Although demand paging is really only for Symbian OS 9.3 and above, the OS 9.2-running N95 8GB has had the feature back-ported specifically for the OS and S60 built-in applications. In fact, it may even be possible to include demand paging into a future firmware release for the original N95. Watch this space. In summary, you'll never run out of RAM with the N95 8GB, even on the largest web pages, while simultaneously viewing the largest image and keeping ten Java games running in the background.

Plus I did it myself when I first got the phone. You can open everything that's in the main menu, and in folders within the main menu, at once, without running out of RAM or slowing the device down. I find it amusing that you can't believe a 2 year old device is capable of doing this
  • Reply 93 of 269
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

What a stupid article. Of course they are similar in construction. They share the same characteristics and size. How else would you jam all that crap into handheld device?

I was thinking the same thing, but it's another chance to view a competing product in an Apple-light, no? It's still a bizarre comparison, as all these devices are pretty compact, full of radios, RAM, a CPU, etc, there's only so much that can different.

As as the Pre, I'm pretty interested, but like with the iPhone, neither are on Verizon, so I really don't care at this point, that and most everyone I know is on Verizon, and that saves me minutes.
  • Reply 94 of 269
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It also is easier to transport in your pants pocket- very cool.As a long time user of a slider (LG Chocolate) this is a major feature for me as it maintains a small form to put into your pants pocket. While I don't mind walking around with an iPod Touch in my pocket, anything thicker (iPhone) is simply to large.

I love teckstud logic!

You don't like the iPhone because it's too thick so you like the Pre better because it's thicker than the iPhone!
  • Reply 95 of 269
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrochester View Post

Well of course this is true... that's what you get when you have 128mb RAM.

The iPhone has 128MB of RAM. The Pre has 256MB.

Quote:

Plus I did it myself when I first got the phone. You can open everything that's in the main menu, and in folders within the main menu, at once, without running out of RAM or slowing the device down. I find it amusing that you can't believe a 2 year old device is capable of doing this

I do believe you can open every application, I don't believe you can open every application with no detriment to the phone's performance. This isn't possible on a computer, as by definition every open app takes away from the over all performance of every other app.
  • Reply 96 of 269
    isbisb Posts: 1member
    I didnt like the pre at all, I dont like the iphone either.

In fact, its plain pitiful that NO American carrier lets you do simultaneous

voice and DATA.

I can't be in my browser looking for a restaurant in google maps or in a

'search near me' GPS type emulation *AND* tell the people waiting on the line

YES IM COMING.

Whats the point?

The pre multitasks but cant do voice and data and the iphone cant EVEN multitask...

Tell the carriers to build REAL networks. Its really sad how far behind we are.
  • Reply 97 of 269
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

Posting from your iPhone I see....

Probably not, as it would have at least tried to autocorrect the spelling.
  • Reply 98 of 269
    halfyearsunhalfyearsun Posts: 304member
    Quote:

I usually put them in different pockets.

I thought you were just happy to see me.
  • Reply 99 of 269
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Again AT&T sucks. ANy other 3G network around the world doesn't have the problems this crappy network has in the US.

Do you have anything to back that up? Have you ever used a cell phone abroad? I would never say ATT is great but then again I live in manhattan and don't get Verizon reception in my apartment.
  • Reply 100 of 269
    halfyearsunhalfyearsun Posts: 304member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isb View Post

I didnt like the pre at all, I dont like the iphone either.

In fact, its plain pitiful that NO American carrier lets you do simultaneous

voice and DATA.

I can't be in my browser looking for a restaurant in google maps or in a

'search near me' GPS type emulation *AND* tell the people waiting on the line

YES IM COMING.

Whats the point?

The pre multitasks but cant do voice and data and the iphone cant EVEN multitask...

Tell the carriers to build REAL networks. Its really sad how far behind we are.

The iphone on 3G allows simultaneous voice and data.