Last-minute rumor: iPhone 3GS with longer battery life at WWDC

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
As Apple's WWDC opening keynote looms, one prominent blogger claims that Apple may embark on a new naming scheme for its next iPhone and that battery life, speed and video capabilities will be the key selling points.

John Gruber of Daring Fireball hears that the upcoming models have been given the codename "iPhone 3GS," though whether this is simply an internal Apple moniker or the final naming scheme is uncertain. What the "S" might mean is just as indeterminate; Gruber speculates that it may be "speed," an allusion to the faster processor and additional RAM that have repeatedly been rumored as part of the update.

New, however, is an assertion that the upgraded models will have extended battery life. The new models will reportedly have "15-20 percent" more useful lifespan between charges than the iPhone 3G, addressing a common complaint about today's handsets.

The writer also recapitulates expectations for other features based on his unnamed sources, which echo many other reports: he anticipates 16GB and 32GB models priced at $199 and $299 respectively, and believes that Apple will emphasize video editing as one of the most important software features.

Turning more towards speculation, he adds that cheaper iPhones are likely but that he suspects any move on Apple's part is more likely to entail a large price cut on the existing 8GB iPhone 3G, which could drop to as low as $99 on a contract. Any genuinely redesigned product to fit the category isn't likely so soon, Gruber believes.

While the late outline of Apple's plans for Monday hasn't been corroborated elsewhere, the blogger has had an accurate track record as of late, detailing Apple's exact plans for unibody MacBooks just hours before they became official the same day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 162
    patsfan83patsfan83 Posts: 156member
    Does video capabilities include a front facing camera?
  • Reply 2 of 162
    thebuddathebudda Posts: 28member
    New, however, is an assertion that the upgraded models will have extended battery life. The new models will reportedly have "15-20 percent" more useful lifespan between charges than the iPhone 3G.

Hasn't this been out for a couple of months? Didn't Apple mention that part of 3.0 was improved battery life? I need to be an analyst.
  • Reply 3 of 162
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebudda View Post

Hasn't this been out for a couple of months? Didn't Apple mention that part of 3.0 was improved battery life? I need to be an analyst.

We expect that each OS revision will be a little more power efficient (thought 15-20% won?t liekyl happen with just an OS update), but this is about the new iPhone hardware.
  • Reply 4 of 162
    FINALLY!

VIDEO.

Something every phone has been able to do since 2005.

Now the GF and I can get back to taking videos.
  • Reply 5 of 162
    cwfrederickcwfrederick Posts: 171member
    hahaha, that is exactly why video alone is going be enough for me to upgrade
  • Reply 6 of 162
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Excuse me.. iPhone 3GS? Do they really need to start with the awful car-like naming conventions? Blech. I guess there's no avoiding it if they are going to carry more variations in the lineup.
  • Reply 7 of 162
    to be honest, longer battery life would be a huge plus for anyone who commutes daily for school or business. i purchased a psp for watching videos while on the train to commute daily. the iphone battery would drain and i cannot have that happen on a daily commute. this would be a great upgrade for all users who commute, students and business professionals. cannot wait for tomorrow. appleinsider is the best!
  • Reply 8 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwfrederick View Post

hahaha, that is exactly why video alone is going be enough for me to upgrade

Yeah except I can't seem to get my iPhone to stand up on its side for filming purposes, of course.

They might need to come out with a vertical dock.\
  • Reply 9 of 162
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Yeah except I can't seem to get my iPhone to stand up on its side for filming purposes, of course.

They might need to come out with a vertical dock.

it's called a hand. comes free for 99.99% of the population.
  • Reply 10 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macapptraining View Post

to be honest, longer battery life would be a huge plus for anyone who commutes daily for school or business. i purchased a psp for watching videos while on the train to commute daily. the iphone battery would drain and i cannot have that happen on a daily commute. this would be a great upgrade for all users who commute, students and business professionals. cannot wait for tomorrow. appleinsider is the best!

I think you may need an external battery pack. While 15-20% is nice, if the next iPhone does indeed playback 720p you may be loading higher-res video over time.
  • Reply 11 of 162

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatsFan83 View Post

Does video capabilities include a front facing camera?

blab alkjdflkajdsf;lkasdf

• Reply 12 of 162
    cwfrederickcwfrederick Posts: 171member
    POV! haha
  • Reply 13 of 162
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Excuse me.. iPhone 3GS? Do they really need to start with the awful car-like naming conventions? Blech. I guess there's no avoiding it if they are going to carry more variations in the lineup.

So the next iPhone that comes out with faster processor, more RAM, will be called the iPhone 3GSS, the SS standing for "Super Sonic"!

Apple should just designate it the iPhone. Why change Apple's simplicity for naming it's products like iMac. It gets improved, still called the iMac! Same for MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, and Power Mac.

Don't need an HP scheme like they have for the HP Pavilion Elite m9500z series, HP Pavilion Elite m9500t series, HP Pavilion Elite d5200t ATX series, or HP Pavilion Elite m9600t series.
  • Reply 14 of 162
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

it's called a hand. comes free for 99.99% of the population.

maybe it's otherwise occupied.
  • Reply 15 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

So the next iPhone that comes out with faster processor, more RAM, will be called the iPhone 3GSS, the SS standing for "Super Sonic"!

Apple should just designate it the iPhone. Why change Apple's simplicity for naming it's products like iMac. It gets improved, still called the iMac! Same for MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, and Power Mac.

Don't need an HP scheme like they have for the HP Pavilion Elite m9500z series, HP Pavilion Elite m9500t series, HP Pavilion Elite d5200t ATX series, or HP Pavilion Elite m9600t series.

That article states that ?S? stands for the CPU, RAM, but since it?s appended to ?3G? I think it?s more likely that it?s referring to the faster up and down speeds of HSUPA that is expected with this new phone.

That said, I don?t think Apple would name the device something odd like that. It?s just not Apple-ish. I think iPhone Video makes the most since at this point.
  • Reply 16 of 162
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Is it possible that the new iPhone will use integrated solar panels to use the light from LCD? I believe Apple already patent that but is the technology there yet?

They should call it iPhone without any additions.
  • Reply 17 of 162
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Finally, a telephone that can edit video, fold proteins and find a cure for cancer, while it gives YOU cancer! As with all religions, the iPhone is the cause of, and solution to all your problems.
  • Reply 18 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

maybe it's otherwise occupied.

haahaha so true
  • Reply 19 of 162
    wayfarerwayfarer Posts: 21member
    Enough about the iPhone...

As long as I get my snappy new Snow Leopard with Marble served on the side, I'll be perfectly happy.
  • Reply 20 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bwik View Post

Finally, a telephone that can edit video, fold proteins and find a cure for cancer, while it gives YOU cancer! As with all religions, the iPhone is the cause of, and solution to all your problems.

hahaha