BlackBerry unseats iPhone as most popular smartphone in Q1

2456789

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 166
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post


    hahahaha



    I agree... I see an Ad every hour for the iPhone in Canada...



    Lets make no excuse... the RIM deserves credit when due!





    CONGRATS BLACKBERRY!



    Just for the record, this is quite inaccurate.



    First, there is hardly an iPhone advertisement every hour. Secondly, the iPhone advertisements are from Apple only and are the same ones, shown with the same frequency as all the others shown around the world.



    The *carriers* in Canada, don't advertise the iPhone at all. Period. None.



    All the carrier phone commercials are for the Blackberry or similar phones. This includes Rogers and fido who actually carry the iPhone as well as all the other carriers that only carry the Blackberry.



    I don't know about other countries, but in Canada at least, the iPhone is not promoted by the carriers and the amount of Blackberry commercials far outweigh the iPhone commercials by a factor of six or eight to one IMO.
  • Reply 22 of 166
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimpryde View Post


    I have a nano that was given to me and a 15GB 2nd generation iPod, that was free with the purchase of a Mac. So, technically my iPods cost me nothing.



    ATT and Apple would be very pleased to hear the logic that causes you to think that your iPod was free. It only cost you $1500 or so.
  • Reply 23 of 166
    halfyearsunhalfyearsun Posts: 304member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post


    Wow. Just wow. They already say iPhone iPod falling flat ala sales.

    New ms ads bad Eco.





    Winder what happens when pre comes out

    Win 7 with no more support for xp 98 and just one



    Msft touch machine tab



    All iPhone contracts expire.



    Holy molt.



    was that haiku or something?
  • Reply 24 of 166
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    RIM didn't SELL 7.8 million BlackBerries, they SHIPPED that amount. When you get so desperate that you give away half of your products, you may be able to bump up your volume temporarily, but it's a doomed business model.



    Either the Blackberries are highly overpriced when they are sold at regular price, or they are losing money with this promotion. In either case, RIM is engaging in an unsustainable practice. The company should not be applauded for making a superior product, they should just get that sarcastic, slow clap for pulling off a cunning stunt.
  • Reply 25 of 166
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    Who are you kidding? No one is going from one device that they love to two devices that replicate the same functions (kinda - you'd still be giving up some things, like GPS and the 3G app integration (facebook uploading from the road and the like). You're really reaching here, it's kinda sad.



    It's because he's a kid and can't afford the iPhone. He regularly dumps on everything Apple with the exception of the Apple products he owns which are grudgingly admitted to be "okay."



    When he finally buys an iPhone one day, it will magically transform into the best thing since sliced bread and it will be hard to shut him up about that also.
  • Reply 26 of 166
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,583member
    The blackberries are everywhere now... people that "should" go for an iPhone are opting for the BB. It's odd to me, but clearly visible out and about looking at what people are using.



    For myself, I'll be ditching my 1st gen iPhone bought at launch come June. I still haven't figured out what my replacement will be, but one thing is certain: I will not buy a SIM-locked smart phone! The numnutz that decided that was a good idea must not travel. At least the Blackberries have some semblence of an international roaming plan!
  • Reply 27 of 166
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    How many of those Blackberries were promoted and sold via AT&T with their relentless promotion for their self proclaimed outstanding 3G network?

    Just wondering.\



    Every single Blackberry Bold, if I'm not mistaken. Also, the Curve and Pearl don't even have the option for 3G.



    Quote:

    And the AT&T iPhone plan ain't cheap either.



    Right, because you magically get a cheaper plan when getting a Blackberry? You still have to pay $30/mo, regardless if it's a Blackberry or iPhone, so please, let's put the "iPhone is much more expensive than competing phones" farce to rest.
  • Reply 28 of 166
    halfyearsunhalfyearsun Posts: 304member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    I really doubt that iPhone owners, even those whose contracts will expire, will leave the iPhone along with the money they invested in buying their iPhone apps anytime soon.



    I don't know why people think of Jun/July as the magic date where iPhone owners will expire their contracts?!! The 1st generation iPhone was sold for a whole year before it was replaced by the 3G version and the majority of 1st iPhone owners (in the US) upgraded. I am also sure that almost all of those who did not upgrade will go for the new iPhone coming this summer so they can keep using their apps (professional, games, .. etc).



    agreed.



    june/july marks the first round of expiring contracts. all the early adopters. who waited in line for hours or days.



    these are the people who are supposedly going to abandon the iphone.
  • Reply 29 of 166
    waywoodrwaywoodr Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post


    I agree... I see an Ad every hour for the iPhone in Canada...!



    That's annoying ... I think we should have at least some ads here (West Aus). I get so many people who say "an iPhone ... What's that?"
  • Reply 30 of 166
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    ATT and Apple would be very pleased to hear the logic that causes you to think that your iPod was free. It only cost you $1500 or so.



    Yep, because that Mac that he bought was worth nothing. Seriously, are some of you people this mentally challenged, or just trying to sound stupid?



    And why would AT&T care? It was an iPod, not an iPhone. Before you criticize somebody, try to get your facts straight.
  • Reply 31 of 166
    christopher126christopher126 Posts: 4,325member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post


    RIM didn't SELL 7.8 million BlackBerries, they SHIPPED that amount. When you get so desperate that you give away half of your products, you may be able to bump up your volume temporarily, but it's a doomed business model.



    Either the Blackberries are highly overpriced when they are sold at regular price, or they are losing money with this promotion. In either case, RIM is engaging in an unsustainable practice. The company should not be applauded for making a superior product, they should just get that sarcastic, slow clap for pulling off a cunning stunt.



    "They are going to sell it below cost, and make it up on volume!"



    A lot of businesses choose this misguided approach to keep the "numbers up...."



    They're chasing market share thinking that will eventually give them profit!
  • Reply 32 of 166
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post


    Every single Blackberry Bold, if I'm not mistaken. Also, the Curve and Pearl don't even have the option for 3G.







    Right, because you magically get a cheaper plan when getting a Blackberry? You still have to pay $30/mo, regardless if it's a Blackberry or iPhone, so please, let's put the "iPhone is much more expensive than competing phones" farce to rest.



    No- because if you get the Blackberry for $29 than it is. Is it that hard to figure out?
  • Reply 33 of 166
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post


    hahahaha



    I agree... I see an Ad every hour for the iPhone in Canada...



    Lets make no excuse... the RIM deserves credit when due!





    CONGRATS BLACKBERRY!



    One of the more sensible and rational comments in this thread.



    I can wait for the next version iPhone (the first for my wife and I)!
  • Reply 34 of 166
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post


    Who are you kidding? No one is going from one device that they love to two devices that replicate the same functions (kinda - you'd still be giving up some things, like GPS and the 3G app integration (facebook uploading from the road and the like). You're really reaching here, it's kinda sad.



    It's really not that much of a reach. The touch has had pretty good marketshare gains recently. And I for one sometimes just want a small phone I can put in my pocket when I'm heading out. I go out with friends and the first thing many of them have to do when we sit down at a table is take their iPhones out of their pocket so they don't break them when they sit down. But they are forced to take them with when we go out because it's their phone, too.
  • Reply 35 of 166
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,744member
    Cheap and plentiful tends to sell.



    Apple with just ONE phone with just ONE provider shook up the entire industry and took #1 position in the US and #3 worldwide and held it for quite some time.



    Now, in a lousy economy, RIM offers a Wal-Mart-esque promotion on their ancient e-mail/texting machines and they manage to get into a top spot in Q1. And so far only Q1.



    Are we supposed to be impressed that a company that has been in business forever, that has produced the Storm-flop, has managed not to suck for once??
  • Reply 36 of 166
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halfyearsun View Post


    was that haiku or something?



  • Reply 37 of 166
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    No- because if you get the Blackberry for $29 than it is. Is it that hard to figure out?



    That was not your argument. You specifically said the iPhone plans weren't cheap, which is technically true, but no more expensive than a Blackberries. You didn't mention anything about the cost of the phone, so I figured things out just fine, thank you.



    Either way, those 30 dollar Blackberries have no 3G or WiFi, among other shortcomings. Comparing the iPhone 3G to a Curve or Pearl is just laughable. A much more accurate comparison would be to the Bold, which is more than the iPhone right now. Even so, with the Curve or Pearls, it's a $170 difference at most, so while being more expensive (for a more feature-rich phone), it's not the rediculous difference you would try to make it out to be.



    I don't know why I keep letting a child pull me into these arguments. I think it'd be best to just ignore him.
  • Reply 38 of 166
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post


    It's really not that much of a reach. The touch has had pretty good marketshare gains recently. And I for one sometimes just want a small phone I can put in my pocket when I'm heading out. I go out with friends and the first thing many of them have to do when we sit down at a table is take their iPhones out of their pocket so they don't break them when they sit down. But they are forced to take them with when we go out because it's their phone, too.



    Thank god- someone else like me. A small phone is so much easier to carry in your pocket- agreed. And our signal is so much better than the iPhone as well. We are in a win .win situation. And we don't need to recharge TWICE A DAY. Luv my Touch though. The Touch is the future- the iPhone is so passe. No need to pay carriers such extravagant fees in the future.
  • Reply 39 of 166
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post


    That was not your argument. You specifically said the iPhone plans weren't cheap, which is technically true, but no more expensive than a Blackberries. You didn't mention anything about the cost of the phone, so I figured things out just fine, thank you.



    Either way, those 30 dollar Blackberries have no 3G or WiFi, among other shortcomings. Comparing the iPhone 3G to a Curve or Pearl is just laughable. A much more accurate comparison would be to the Bold, which is more than the iPhone right now. Even so, with the Curve or Pearls, it's a $170 difference at most, so while being more expensive (for a more feature-rich phone), it's not the rediculous difference you would try to make it out to be.



    I don't know why I keep letting a child pull me into these arguments. I think it'd be best to just ignore him.



    You're laughable. You're AT&T iPhone has a bad reputation for a clear connection - so what's your point if it can't compete for call clarity or connection- Wifi and all?
  • Reply 40 of 166
    jsyedinakjsyedinak Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post






    Break loose perhaps, isn't RIM only with Verizon though?



    iPhoners would probably stay in their contracts IMO.



    No Rim is with ALL Carriers for the Blackberry. The Curve is a great device for a Blackberry but the numbers are only higher since they sell a ton through multiple carriers for cheap for Companies that just care about Email and Calendar. The Curve is definitely not a full-featured device with good software ala the iPhone but simply does what it does pretty well.
Sign In or Register to comment.