Apple unveils faster, more affordable MacBook Pros

1235712

Comments

  • Reply 81 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post


    Okay... not sure where the cutoff is between "consumer" and "pro" anymore, but the most expensive camera that Canon makes ($8000) can take both CF and SD/SDHC:



    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...elTechSpecsAct



    And it's been roundly criticized for using that SD card rather than another CF card.
  • Reply 82 of 239
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Actually, yeah. Considering the recession, BD is doing quite well. BD sales are way up, as are the sales of movies.



    BD sales this year are better than BD sales last year. But as far as the entire home video market BD is still an extremely small option.



    As far as movie sales one or two movies such as "The Dark Knight" or "Ironman" have outstanding sales, but the industry is in decline.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    How can you cite evidence for something that doesn't exist?



    PC sales. I don't see any evidence of BD making any appreciable difference in PC sales.
  • Reply 83 of 239
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    BD sales this year are better than BD sales last year. But as far as the entire home video market BD is still an extremely small option.



    And with any new format, it is to be expected that adoption will take time. Was DVD adoption any faster? What other new formats were adopted faster?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    PC sales. I don't see any evidence of BD making any appreciable difference in PC sales.



    And that "evidence" is based on what? Is there one PC company not offering BD that you're using as a reference point? Computers with BD are certainly offered, and are selling, aren't they? Link to specific numbers?
  • Reply 84 of 239
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I will try to find this article. The author described Blu-ray as great from movies with a large scope, but when you are watching a romantic comedy you care less about 1080P.





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I care. I have a PS3 that I use to watch BD movies (and that my daughter and friends use for, uh, I forgot what else that thing does).



  • Reply 85 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    BD sales this year are better than BD sales last year. But as far as the entire home video market BD is still an extremely small option.



    As far as movie sales one or two movies such as "The Dark Knight" or "Ironman" have outstanding sales, but the industry is in decline.



    It's the growth that matters, not the actual numbers, as we always say when discussing Mac sales vs PC sales.



    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/42359/98/



    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...-million-discs



    Quote:

    PC sales. I don't see any evidence of BD making any appreciable difference in PC sales.



    Not saying it's making an appreciable increase in overall PC sales. Thats rarely what happens. But models with BD are selling well. No doubt taking away sales from some that don't include it.



    As Apple's sales are so small a percentage of overall sales (still), BD could very well take sales away from the PC market, as Apple's other features do.
  • Reply 86 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    I will try to find this article. The author described Blu-ray as great from movies with a large scope, but when you are watching a romantic comedy you care less about 1080P.



    We don't watch romantic comedies.



    But even so, people do like to see the detail.
  • Reply 87 of 239
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post


    And with any new format, it is to be expected that adoption will take time. Was DVD adoption any faster? What other new formats were adopted faster?



    I would say yes. The popularity of DVD exploded. Within a couple of years studios were making more money from DVD than they had ever made from home video entertainment. DVD still accounts for the far majority of home video revenues.





    Quote:

    And that "evidence" is based on what? Is there one PC company not offering BD that you're using as a reference point? Computers with BD are certainly offered, and are selling, aren't they? Link to specific numbers?



    If PC's with BD sold more than PC's without. All PC's would have BD.
  • Reply 88 of 239
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    I would say yes. The popularity of DVD exploded. Within a couple of years studios were making more money from DVD than they had ever made from home video entertainment. DVD still accounts for the far majority of home video revenues.



    OK, so link to the numbers showing that DVD sales went up faster than BD sales did by this point in their lifetime.
  • Reply 89 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    If PC's with BD sold more than PC's without. All PC's would have BD.



    That would be true for any feature that cost more if that were true.



    It isn't because it does cost more.
  • Reply 90 of 239
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    It's the growth that matters, not the actual numbers, as we always say when discussing Mac sales vs PC sales.



    Well its easy to have 1000% growth when you are starting from nothing. The people in the know, know that type of growth doesn't automatically equal long term success.





    Quote:

    Not saying it's making an appreciable increase in overall PC sales. Thats rarely what happens. But models with BD are selling well. No doubt taking away sales from some that don't include it.



    Soon after prices came in line PC's with DVD players would have outsold PC's only with CD players. I don't see this at all for BD.



    Quote:

    We don't watch romantic comedies.



    I'm not just talking about you, but the general consumer.
  • Reply 91 of 239
    no video card updates at all? a $1700 latop with on board video?? removeing the exprees card slot? no blue ray? nice job apple!



    I will just keep my $1600 laptop with 17" mate, screen ati 4850 512, blue ray, 320gb 7200 hd, 3 usb , 1 usb / e-sata , firewire , sd slot , 4gb of ram, HDMI. It also has mini pci-e slots on the in side as well.
  • Reply 92 of 239
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    Well its easy to have 1000% growth when you are starting from nothing.



    Then shouldn't DVD have had a similar rate of growth since it was also starting from nothing?



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    Soon after prices came in line PC's with DVD players would have outsold PC's only with CD players. I don't see this at all for BD.



    Prices for BD in PCs aren't as cheap as DVD yet, are they?
  • Reply 93 of 239
    pedrofanpedrofan Posts: 4member
    \t

    I'm still waiting for the numpad on the 17'' macbook pro
    , How can you call pro a computer without number pad?? Real professionals use programs with lots of number entries!!

    I'm still waiting for quad proccessor qx9300 17'' macbook pro All other brands already have it.

    I'm still waiting for quadro fx graphic cards or gtx graphic cards; buying a 2500€-3500€ notebook with a nvidia 9600 gpu IS A JOKE

    I'm still waiting for BlueRay



    CONCLUSIONS - I'm not going to wait anymore. I'm, going to buy a dell m6400 covet. THAT IS A REAL PRO NOTEBOOK, NOT THIS.
  • Reply 94 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    Well its easy to have 1000% growth when you are starting from nothing. The people in the know, know that type of growth doesn't automatically equal long term success.



    It doesn't mean that it won't either. But right now, growth is explosive. People are obviously interested.



    Quote:

    Soon after prices came in line PC's with DVD players would have outsold PC's only with CD players. I don't see this at all for BD.



    Maybe you don't, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.



    Quote:

    I'm not just talking about you, but the general consumer.



    I know.
  • Reply 95 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pedrofan View Post


    \t

    I'm still waiting for the numpad on the 17'' macbook pro
    , How can you call pro a computer without number pad?? Real professionals use programs with lots of number entries!!

    I'm still waiting for quad proccessor qx9300 17'' macbook pro All other brands already have it.

    I'm still waiting for quadro fx graphic cards or gtx graphic cards; buying a 2500?-3500? notebook with a nvidia 9600 gpu IS A JOKE

    I'm still waiting for BlueRay



    CONCLUSIONS - I'm not going to wait anymore. I'm, going to buy a dell m6400 covet. THAT IS A REAL PRO NOTEBOOK, NOT THIS.



    Why are you here? Why aren't you on a Dell forum? You can discuss reliability problems with your machines and poor customer service.
  • Reply 96 of 239
    pedrofanpedrofan Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    Why are you here? Why aren't you on a Dell forum? You can discuss reliability problems with your machines and poor customer service.



    Beacuase I want a mac with those specs. Not a dell. I want a mac with hardware corresponding to price and status. Apple calls Pro a notebook for moms. C'mon!
  • Reply 97 of 239
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    As I said before only BD advocates are making this comparison, they are slanting it towards BD.



    Let's put it this way, DVD started in 1997, BD started in 2006. Around the 2000/2001 time frame is when DVD hit a tipping point where it became common for most people to have one. 2009/2010 would be the same amount of time for BD to have a similar tipping point. I don't see most people having BD players between this year and next.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post


    OK, so link to the numbers showing that DVD sales went up faster than BD sales did by this point in their lifetime.



  • Reply 98 of 239
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    As I said before only BD advocates are making this comparison, they are slanting it towards BD.



    Let's put it this way, DVD started in 1997, BD started in 2006. Around the 2000/2001 time frame is when DVD hit a tipping point where it became common for most people to have one. 2009/2010 would be the same amount of time for BD to have a similar tipping point. I don't see most people having BD players between this year and next.



    Obviously we can't see into the future, so we can only compare the first three years of each format.



    How is comparing numbers of players sold and movies sold "slanting" the comparison?
  • Reply 99 of 239
    pedrofanpedrofan Posts: 4member
    definetly



    MACS for MOMS

    DELLS for DADS



    Do you understand??
  • Reply 100 of 239
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pedrofan View Post


    Beacuase I want a mac with those specs. Not a dell. I want a mac with hardware corresponding to price and status. Apple calls Pro a notebook for moms. C'mon!



    Certainly doesn't sound like that.



    Considering just how many pros use these Macs, your view isn't universal.
Sign In or Register to comment.