Consumer Reports: signal issues not unique iPhone 4, no reason not to buy

Comments

• Reply 81 of 451
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So why even say that then?

Because some of us like to be thorough and objective. You should give it a try sometime, you may like it.
  • Reply 82 of 451
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by galore View Post

I really understand Steve Job's response MUCH better now.

Can't you just hold it a little bit differently. I mean, it's not SUCH a huge deal to NOT cover that stupid gap.

It's really difficult to "kindly respect" you on this. Maybe if you have a physical condition that makes it impossible for you to hold the phone in a way that makes it work. Do yourself a favor and return the phone if you have so little self control as to not touch the "gap of doom".

Sheesh - some people are just primadonnas. I mean, sure, my IP4 drops bars if I hold it "naturally" (for me). So I just move my pinky and the phone gets awesome connectivity. Is that SO difficult to do?!

Drugs are bad for you, you know.
  • Reply 83 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mobility View Post

Try switching your unit if you're willing to invest energy?

Haha, you're right. So, either not everyone is owning up to this issue or I really am all alone?
  • Reply 84 of 451
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    C'mon this discussion reached ridicule already.

: Please?
  • Reply 85 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Oh boy...

First, we'd be rolling in the streets (and likely calling doom) if Android phones needed to be held in a certain way.

Second, this is for the people who apologize for Apple's mirror-screen Macs (after all, it's no big deal if you re-arrange the room and adjust the lighting...).

The bottom line is if we wanted BS we wouldn't buy Apple products. Steve & Co. can do better, and we expect it. This is our little way of reminding them.

Well, the big way of reminding him is to BUY SOMETHING ELSE! If it bothers and pains you so much that you cannot be in the least accommodating, you have the freedom to go somewhere else that will suit your needs.

The truth is, There could be several issues here that can get confusing, but the bottom line is if you personally can't use it as a phone, don't get it or return it. Many people can be very accommodating by looking at the relatively low number of complaints. If you want to keep the phone - buy a case. Since there are solutions out there this is really a non-issue.
  • Reply 86 of 451
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    No issues yet. Guess I'm still holding it wrong and/or my palms aren't sweaty enough.
  • Reply 87 of 451
    mike reedmike reed Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Can't you just hold it a little bit differently. I mean, it's not SUCH a huge deal to NOT cover that stupid gap.

It's really difficult to "kindly respect" you on this. Maybe if you have a physical condition that makes it impossible for you to hold the phone in a way that makes it work. Do yourself a favor and return the phone if you have so little self control as to not touch the "gap of doom".

Sheesh - some people are just primadonnas. I mean, sure, my IP4 drops bars if I hold it "naturally" (for me). So I just move my pinky and the phone gets awesome connectivity. Is that SO difficult to do?!

For $700 I personally think the absolute least it could do is work as a phone without me having to pay attention to where I'm making contact with its frame. It's also a matter of preferring Apple to remain as they have been historically - a producer of quality electronics, not a producer of electronics that are just good enough while still being priced at a premium.
  • Reply 88 of 451
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

You obviously did not read the thread, or are being frivolous. Please look at post #25, and tell me how you would solve the problem of navigating the web on the iPhone.
  • Reply 89 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I didn't know that. Haven't been to MacWorld in many years to witness his clothing choices. If true, it's curious and quite possibly relevant. But whether that is sufficient to prove him to be dishonest and a liar . . . not as sure as you are about it.

I'd bet we can both agree to call him consistently favorable. Like the CR and anandtech's article, he selectively hand-picked the positive pieces.
  • Reply 90 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

No issues yet. Guess I'm still holding it wrong and/or my palms aren't sweaty enough.

Or perhaps you have not read the articles that suggest why not everyone will notice an issue.
  • Reply 91 of 451
    galoregalore Posts: 35member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

Oh boy...

First, we'd be rolling in the streets (and likely calling doom) if Android phones needed to be held in a certain way.

Second, this is for the people who apologize for Apple's mirror-screen Macs (after all, it's no big deal if you re-arrange the room and adjust the lighting...).

The bottom line is if we wanted BS we wouldn't buy Apple products. Steve & Co. can do better, and we expect it. This is our little way of reminding them.

I honestly don't understand the big backlash against Apple. I mean, I don't like Apple, the company, for various reasons, but I think that the IP4 is absolutely fantastic. I'm glad they decided to roll the dice on this antenna design because it is probably the only solution to achieve the IP4's sleek design.

I prefer form over function, as long as the function part is ok. I don't need face-time, twenty different browsers, an unrestricted marketplace (malware), don't care about megapixels or gigahertzes as long as the pictures are good and the phone isn't sluggish. I don't care if I lose a bar or two if I touch the gap and also don't care if it drops a call in a low-signal scenario, if I touch the gap.

I do care about physical appearance (I'm shallow) and I would never buy a Palm Pre (to plastic-y) or one of those Android variants (never seen one that isn't fat and plastic).

I really liked the first iPhone (glass, aluminum), was so-so about the 3G(s) (plastic) and LOVE the IP4 - feels so solid and, yes, high-end (that's also the main reason I have a current-gen iMac, because I dig that case and the glossy screen - sooooo beautiful. Don't care about the specs - I use it to surf the web, which I could do on a cheap PC but then I would have to deal with a crappy case, a plastic monitor enclosure and a myriad of cables).

Beautiful often equals high maintenance. If the main flaw of the iPhone4 is that I must not touch it in a sensitive spot, then so be it. Call me a stupid Apple fanboy consumer (actually, if there was an HTC that was as thin, sleek and beautiful as the IP4, I'd buy that - I don't have loyalty to Apple - I just like beautiful items). I won't be offended
  • Reply 92 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Because some of us like to be thorough and objective. You should give it a try sometime, you may like it.

What a load of crap. You only said it to be suggestive. To be thorough and objective? Bullshit.
  • Reply 93 of 451
    Quote:

Or perhaps you have not read the articles that suggest why not everyone will notice an issue.

If I read the article, will I then not be able to make calls?
  • Reply 94 of 451
    I was going to get a bumper anyway for protection....problem solved. Hopefully the IP4 is, indeed, better at transmitting/receiving signals.

However, I think I will wait until the iOS fix is out and see what others see.
  • Reply 95 of 451
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

? and see what others see.

: Really?

: Good luck.
  • Reply 96 of 451
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    Get a Droid Incredible. You'll love it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lewchenko View Post

After reading a gazillion forum posts about the iPhone4's reception woes, reviews, and user experience I actually decided against purchasing for the following reasons :

a) Apple's PR (issue resolved by changing the bars... I think not)

b) Simply touching the bands of the antenna together is enough to potentially lose a call (according to many who actually own an iPhone4)

c) Cheaper Android High Spec phones now available that dont suffer this problem as badly.

d) Apple not willing to give out bumpers to resolve it and expecting us to pay $30 for them (a rip off basically)

I cant justify this purchase anymore, so am now looking to Motorola Droid X/Incredible or HTC for my new smartphone. I do however still love my iMac, so its not like Apple has lost me as a customer fully... just not for their phones.

This would have been my first iPhone too.

• Reply 97 of 451
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

What a load of crap. You only said it to be suggestive. To be thorough and objective? Bullshit.

Absolutely. I'm suggesting that RF could be affected and effected with ease by a source not shown on that video because I, unlike you, are being objective by exploring and considering all possible reasons for signal loss instead of jumping to wild conclusions based on hard evidence.

Your entire paranoid argument falls apart because your view of my position on this matter would exclude me from making a post about the 3G Spot issue or posting a video detailing it.

Again, you're falling back into trolling mode with your knee-jerk one-liners calling people drug addicts simply for disagreeing with you yet having no viable argument to back up your statement.
  • Reply 98 of 451
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

What they said certainly isn't true?that the issue won't result in a loss of a phone call?but it isn't especially likely to cause a loss of a phone call unless it worsens an already terrible signal, or you really do hold it in an unnatural/uncomfortable way for extended periods of time (with the caveat that sweaty hands will worsen any applicable issue). As for news sources, a technical analysis counts for much more than a general report.

If you're having regular problems I'd suggest exchanging your phone.

he does not own a iphone 4

he just whines for days upon days
  • Reply 99 of 451
    gdoggdog Posts: 224member
    JUST GOT IPHONE 4. WORKS GREAT. NO ISSUES, NO YELLOW, NO DROPPED CALLS, NO PROXIMITY PROBLEMS. WHATS UP PEOPLE? I WAS WAITING TO BUY BECAUSE OF ALL THE SUPPOSED ISSUES. IT WOULD BE MORE HELPFUL FOR PEOPLE TO GIVE HONEST REVIEW OF THEIR EXPERIENCES THAN ALL OF THE THEORETICAL CRAP THATS BEING SAID. WHAT REALLY MATTERS IS CAN YOU MAKE CALL, GET TEXTS, INTERNET SEE THE SCREEN, TAKE A PICTURE WHATEVER. IF YOU ARE EXPECTING PHONE TO S#@K YOUR D%*K YOU MIGHT BE DISAPPOINTED.
  • Reply 99 of 451
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Get a Droid Incredible. You'll love it.

In the words of our favorite poster, "Bullshit".