Apple's new Maps in iOS 6 draw ire from users around the world

Comments

• Reply 321 of 490

So, I just did a side by side google web app and new map for southern california area Im in.

(Google immediately offers to save it to home screen... sly dogs)

But in generally as for pure mapping, the Apple map was easier to manipulate, could do the 3d... no biggie

I think I had to zoom with Apple a bit more to see items.

I have not tried the driving directions etc. do that this afternoon

so far I would say they are about the same sans street view(which is handy)

• Reply 322 of 490
    The new maps are utter crap. Here, I said it.

I saw this coming in the beta firmwares, and I'm glad I kept my iPhone away from those. That said, I have iOS 5.1.1 firmwares for the iPad3,3 and iPhone4,1 should I ever need them. For now my iPad will remain on iOS 6 because I need it for development, but until Google releases a decent app to address this nonsense, I'll stay away from iOS 6 on the iPhone.

It's a lot less detailed than Google Maps and the search sucks as it can't even find my street despite the fact that it's right there on the map. It's also a lot worse than Google Maps when it comes to contrast. Who the hell had the brilliant idea to put white on yellow? And why weren't there accessibility experts at apple to stop that nonsense?

EDIT: Also, the thing is SLUGGISH on the iPad 3G! You move around and it refreshes at like 10-20fps.
  • Reply 323 of 490

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

"Ire"?

Oh my.

"In my ire, I found myself betwixt the beleaguered Apple Maps and Google Maps doomed to advertisements…"

• Reply 324 of 490
    An old bit of savvy advice from my days at IBM (when they had 97% marketshare of maimframe computers).

"When you do something, do it really well... or screw it up really bad -- They won't remember what you did... but they'll recognize your name!"

A year from now this will be a non-issue... and we'll all recognize the name Apple.

Like we didn't already, but I get your point.
  • Reply 325 of 490

That must mean that google is intentionally screwing the iPhone app because if you try to load that up on an iPhone you get nothing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Gave this a try, heres what I got:

o7AxD.png

mMlLN.png

• Reply 326 of 490

So surprising that all the "competiton is good" posts on this site disappear when Apple launches a new product to compete with Google, not vice versa...

• Reply 327 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Good thing Google Maps are perfect! Oh, wait!

It would be helpful to point out the errors that was wrong that are not obvious.

1st picture: exactly what was wrong with it? Pulling up a recent map shows everything is in the right spot.  Only thing I"m guessing is that you're given 3 choices due to traffic congestion and picking the shortest time.

edit: I found where the picture comes from.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2381573,00.asp

its google's traffic routing update from a year ago.

Quote:

Google warned that it can't guarantee a faster route with Navigation, but "it will always try to get you where you're going as fast as possible."

You realize that pictures 5 and 7 are jokes/easter eggs right? In fact they are still there. The NY to tokyo one either tells you to swim or take a boat.

• Reply 328 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

An old bit of savvy advice from my days at IBM (when they had 97% marketshare of maimframe computers).

"When you do something, do it really well... or screw it up really bad -- They won't remember what you did... but they'll recognize your name!"

A year from now this will be a non-issue... and we'll all recognize the name Apple.

I'd like nothing more than for this to be true!  :)

• Reply 329 of 490
    mac_128 wrote: »
    It's this kind of thing that demonstrates how Apple will release a product that doesn't totally "delight" it's customers. It's not like Apple didn't know about all the problems their new map app had. The intentionally released a product that wasn't everything the their customers had come to expect, and even promoted it at the iOS 6 presentation months ago, which in retrospect was little more than lipstick on a pig.
    Apple should have never made this move. They should have gone out of their way to work with Google to renew their contract with Google, all the while developing their own map app in secret (much as Google did to Apple with Android). Instead, Apple in a supreme act of arrogance has hurt its customer base substantially, and given new customers pause to consider buying the iPhone 5, and instead buying an Android phone, especially where map functionality is of primary importance to them. At least with Mobile Me customers had nothing to compare that debacle to, sadly, we have Google's maps and this just makes Apple look like hacks, covering their mistakes with flashy 3D flyovers that don't really add anything of substance.

Considering your analogy which compares Apple iOS to Android, perhaps Google should never have released Android since they are still trying to catch up.
  • Reply 330 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

… What's this? Things can change… over TIME? You mean problems can be fixed? 

Nobody is arguing that things can't change over time, but this is the equivalent of replacing your starting all-star NBA forward with a high school senior.

And iOS 6 Maps ain't no Kobe or Lebron image

I am a LLF (Long-time Laker Fan... since 1948 when they were in Minneapolis -- then moved to LA when we did.   I followed Kobe''s entry into the team and the league!

Kobe usually has a very high free throw percentage -- 84.5% last year (thank you Siri).

I clearly remember a game at the beginning of Kobe's pro career where he was taking a free-throw... Kobe missed the basket entirely... about 3 feet short -- he was lucky to his the ground.

iOS 6 maps hit the ground, yesterday... and maybe touched a bit of the rim on the way down.... I can hardly wait to see iOS 6 maps reach its potential.

• Reply 331 of 490
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Considering your analogy which compares Apple iOS to Android, perhaps Google should never have released Android since they are still trying to catch up.

Had Google not released Android we would not be having this discussion about Apple maps.

• Reply 332 of 490
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Apple should have never made this move. They should have gone out of their way to work with Google to renew their contract with Google, all the while developing their own map app in secret (much as Google did to Apple with Android). Instead, Apple in a supreme act of arrogance has hurt its customer base substantially, and given new customers pause to consider buying the iPhone 5, and instead buying an Android phone, especially where map functionality is of primary importance to them. At least with Mobile Me customers had nothing to compare that debacle to, sadly, we have Google's maps and this just makes Apple look like hacks, covering their mistakes with flashy 3D flyovers that don't really add anything of substance.

I think it would have made sense to try to continue it, but without real insider info, we may never know. I recall Apple bought a navigation company and a satellite mapping company a couple years ago. I don't know if it's legal or possible to keep such purchases secret. Anyone with an ounce of sense could have deduced from those purchases that Apple was probably working on their own mapping back end.

Google's purchase of Android was publicly announced about two years before Apple announced their phone. Despite this alleged industrial espionage, I doubt because it still took Google a year and a half to offer a counterpoint, and it was a half-assed one at that.

Exactly when it dawned on them that Schmidt might be a liability, I don't know, but it seemed like he should have been asked to leave a year or more earlier. Up until his resignation, the official Apple line was that he was fine where he was.
  • Reply 333 of 490
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    bigmc6000 wrote: »
    That must mean that google is intentionally screwing the iPhone app because if you try to load that up on an iPhone you get nothing.

If I remember correctly, Apple makes the map.app, it just plugs into Google's back end. I don't have my iPhone 4 with me to verify, but try roomstogo without spaces. If you get the same results, then its just a issue of not recognizing search recommendations.
  • Reply 334 of 490
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Quote:

Good thing Google Maps are perfect! Oh, wait!

So it's time for 'google sucked so apple can suck too'?

Let's analyze those image :

- first one shows a route that takes less time to take than a shorter. Ever heard of traffic jams?

- second to fifth, yes it sucks, but where is that? maybe that's even fixed right now

- Sixth to last : you really had to look for google maps from 4 years ago? Also the two images showing oceans are precisely Google easter eggs, see the "swimm across the Atlantic"?

Your level of argumentation is close to zero.

edit: And for everyone's fun, there's a tumblr that shows all the maps disasters.

• Reply 335 of 490
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    mazda 3s wrote: »

It's the closest analogy I could think of :lol:

But it's still not perfect. In the case of Google Maps, it doesn't deterioriate with age like an NBA player. It would only get better, stronger as it collects more data. Apple Maps is starting off years late and still has to compete with a juggernaut that is gobbling data and processing it like a madman. Apple will always have that usability gap since Google is so far ahead in the game and has its search engine to keep feeding data into Google Maps.

I see. So no one should ever release a new product in a market where someone else is already established?

Let's see. There were dozens of portable music players before Apple released the iPod. The first iPod had some deficiencies and there was no way for Apple to ever catch up.

There were tons of phones out there before Apple released the iPhone. The first iPhone had some deficiencies and even some significant problems. So Apple will always be behind.

You're ignoring the very real possibility that Apple can solve the data problems cited in this article. With their attitude and mentality, it is unlikely that Google will ever solve their UI and personal data whore problems.

It's this kind of thing that demonstrates how Apple will release a product that doesn't totally "delight" it's customers. It's not like Apple didn't know about all the problems their new map app had. The intentionally released a product that wasn't everything the their customers had come to expect, and even promoted it at the iOS 6 presentation months ago, which in retrospect was little more than lipstick on a pig.

Or maybe there's an alternative explanation:
    Apple had no choice - their agreement with Google was ending. They released a very good Maps app which, albeit imperfect, offers a perfectly functional and useful application for 99.5% of users. The remaining 0.5%, instead of working with Apple to fix the problem by reporting data errors and/or bug reports, has a massive hissy fit because of unrealistic explanations.

Somehow, I think my explanation is closer to the truth.
  • Reply 336 of 490
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Had Google not released Android we would not be having this discussion about Apple maps.

That's quite an assumption. Seeing a pile of revenue and profits you could keep all to yourself has often been a reason to kill a partnership. IMHO it was inevitable that Apple and Google would eventually part ways over something. I think Android just moved up the timeline.

• Reply 337 of 490

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

If I remember correctly, Apple makes the map.app, it just plugs into Google's back end. I don't have my iPhone 4 with me to verify, but try roomstogo without spaces. If you get the same results, then its just a issue of not recognizing search recommendations.

I've tried both and get nothing with both. Everytime it just says "No results found" - this, as I said in another post, is far from the only search problem I've had with the google maps app.  I don't know who's the blame for the disparity between the android maps app and the iPhone but the fact that they aren't performing the same adds even more fuel to the idea that iMaps really doesn't have any more problems than the Google Maps iPhone app.

• Reply 338 of 490
    clemynx wrote: »
    So it's time for 'google sucked so apple can suck too'?
    Let's analyze those image :
    - first one shows a route that takes less time to take than a shorter. Ever heard of traffic jams?
    - second to fifth, yes it sucks, but where is that? maybe that's even fixed right now
    - Sixth to last : you really had to look for google maps from 4 years ago? Also the two images showing oceans are precisely Google easter eggs, see the "swimm across the Atlantic"?

Your level of argumentation is close to zero.

edit: And for everyone's fun, there's a tumblr that shows all the maps disasters.

You don't understand the point but I don't expect you too. Logic is clearly beyond your grasp.
  • Reply 339 of 490
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

That's quite an assumption. Seeing a pile of revenue and profits you could keep all to yourself has often been a reason to kill a partnership. IMHO it was inevitable that Apple and Google would eventually part ways over something. I think Android just moved up the timeline.

Perhaps but where is the pile of revenue and who wants to keep it. Apple did not let Google advertise in Maps and Apple certainly isn't advertising in their Maps either. The Maps app was core functionality that was a hugely popular user convenience. I think everyone was benefitting from the previous Maps app. Now almost no one is except a few Google haters who are giddy with excitement. They would have supported removing Google Maps even if there was no replacement at all.

• Reply 340 of 490
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I see. So no one should ever release a new product in a market where someone else is already established?

Let's see. There were dozens of portable music players before Apple released the iPod. The first iPod had some deficiencies and there was no way for Apple to ever catch up.

There were tons of phones out there before Apple released the iPhone. The first iPhone had some deficiencies and even some significant problems. So Apple will always be behind.

You're ignoring the very real possibility that Apple can solve the data problems cited in this article. With their attitude and mentality, it is unlikely that Google will ever solve their UI and personal data whore problems.

And you're ignoring that fact that while the iPod and the iPhone (and iPad) were somewhat deficient in specific areas and weren't the first entries, they were revolutionary products that SIGNIFICANTLY advanced their respective genres in more ways the one from DAY 1. They were so good that you could simply overlook any deficits as if they didn't even matter. 

Apple Maps is not revolutionary in anyway, and it's lacking in features/accuracy.