New Microsoft Windows 8 ad turns Apple's Siri against her maker

Comments

• Reply 21 of 147
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    isaidso wrote: »
    Not an MS lover, But the mangled chopsticks was "the point".
    You actually did know that, right? (I hope)
    Was what point? If they're going to pick on iPad GarageBand is probably not the app they want to showcase.
  • Reply 22 of 147
    stelligent wrote: »

Good for you two - sticking to your guns and be damned with objectivity. Why ever admit that another company can pull off something cool once in a while?
    What is it exactly that MS pulled off?
  • Reply 23 of 147
    Microsoft continues to think people want Office on their tablet devices. I have many friends associated with Microsoft and they still think Office is a "killer app". And it is for desktop, but for a tablet which is used for so many non-work related tasks, Office is just not that important. There are plenty of apps out there that can read Office formats if I need to review a document in flight. If Office was available for the iPad I would buy it, but I would not buy a tablet just to get Office. The bigger concern I have with Surface Pro is the terrible battery life and the lack of basic apps (i.e. Words with Friends).
  • Reply 24 of 147
    This ad is not targeted at iPad users. It's targeted at Android tablet owners or those who have not made a choice yet, which remains the majority. So, I'd argue that they met their objective with a nice touch of levity and irony. The real irony, of course, is how the tables have been turned.

Good one about Park.
    But are the majority going to care about the things MS highlighted in this ad?
  • Reply 25 of 147
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

But IS a 64GB iPad really comparable to the Windows RT tablet, which only has about 23GB of usable space? And why can't Microsoft get over the notion that we're all just waiting for a device on which to do "work"?

• Reply 26 of 147
    juil wrote: »
    Hate to say it, your trolling skills aren’t too sharp I see...

--

Kind of pathetic if you ask me.

lol. Easy there. He's not insulting your mother. Just sharing an opinion. It is possible to like competitor's ad.
  • Reply 27 of 147
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    This ad is not targeted at iPad users. It's targeted at Android tablet owners or those who have not made a choice yet, which remains the majority. So, I'd argue that they met their objective with a nice touch of levity and irony. The real irony, of course, is how the tables have been turned.

Good one about Park.

I understand your point about MS targeting non-iPad users and surely there are more non-users than users, but the iPad is so common and well known that it's hard to see how anyone would look at this ad and say "I think I'll ignore everything I know about the iPad, believe all the things MS is telling me about it, and buy the Surface." When you start to compare and contrast the two devices MS's ad falls apart. It simply isn't very good in my opinion. Note that I've said that Samsung's ads are good in the past.
  • Reply 28 of 147
    juiljuil Posts: 75member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Kind of pathetic? You mean like "I am a Mac/I am a PC" kind of pathetic?

And, guess what, to some of us not wearing blinders, this commercial is indeed self-evident as a hit. Even if you disagree, he is entitled to his opinion, isn't he? Just as you're entitled to your blinders?

Blinders... I happen to have a PC (Win7) and use it relatively often (both for professional and recreational reason - i.e. gaming). But we are not acquainted, so yeah  you can categorize me as a blind fanboy - but I’m not, sorry.

I do work in advertising though. And you might not be aware of it, but the "I’m a Mac" campaign is considered the pinnacle of comparison ads in recent history in the industry. Yes they compared the Mac and Windows platforms, but in a very original way (I would add fun and aesthetically pleasing as well, but that would make me a blind fanboy;).

The Windows8/Surface ad will never be shown and decorticated in university classes the way the I’m a Mac ads were (well Miscrosoft’s ad might be shown in class, but not necessarily in the kindest of fashion). No creative will go "gosh, I wish I had come up with this campaign" like for the I’m a Mac campaign. And lastly, these ads (if their is to be more than one) will be forgotten mere months after they have finished airing. Hardly the case of the I’m a Mac campaign.

• Reply 29 of 147
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Several problems with this ad:

1. The first comment "I don't update like that" is entirely without context. Most consumers will be scratching their heads and thinking "what the heck are they talking about?"

2. Siri says "I can only do one thing at a time" - which is just plain false. That alone may cost them a lawsuit.

3. While Windows RT does run PowerPoint, it doesn't run most PC software. They're setting themselves up for massive numbers of unhappy customers.

Overall, nice try, but fail.
  • Reply 30 of 147
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Wow.. LOOK.. our device on the right looks more complicated and make people think you are smarter!! We will not bother showing you actual email client, web browsing, or the things you actually use everyday because this is still 1990s. We are also not going to show you how our device work in portrait mode because it only works this way.

• Reply 31 of 147
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    Are people really dumb enough these days to be affected by this type of thing? It tastes like a used car ad, where the salesman is trying to convince you of something against your own understanding and perceptions of what's better. Such an out-of-date advertising style, well below the bar set by the reality of Apple's products.

And btw, I don't hear the Surface talking...so what's your point Microsoft?

In the end, this ad actually says more about how Microsoft views tablets than anything. They play chopsticks because that's all they know how to play. (And that pretty much describes them in more ways than one.)
  • Reply 32 of 147
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

"Why is it a great ad? The worst past is the person horribly mangling chopsticks or whatever it is at the end. I'm no pianist but even I could play it better than the person in the ad did."

Someone else beat me to it and agree, hope you're just fun'in and playing ignorant, but the lousy playing pianist paints the broader stroke of a lousy experience on the iPad.  Kind of like the Mac vs PC ads where PC spins a Choose a Vista spinning wheel and hopes for something great and gets 'Lose a Turn' and the Mac dude says, "Wait, didn't you make this?"  It's just MS finally getting an ad agency that has put forth a couple of mediocre commercials at Apple's expense, the Samsung/Apple feud during a wedding and now this.  Don't take it too seriously.  MS is still touting Microsoft products it has to peddle at all those cool and 'crowded' MS stores!

• Reply 33 of 147
    juiljuil Posts: 75member

Quote:

Originally Posted by winchester View Post

lol. Easy there. He's not insulting your mother. Just sharing an opinion. It is possible to like competitor's ad.

Yeah sorry about that... But to call this ad "home run" kind of stuff without any justifications smells like blatant troll-spin to me. When I look at it objectively, I could understand some people calling this ad "OK" or "good", but not reasonably above that. It’s not going to make the ballots for advertisement awards come the end of the year...

• Reply 34 of 147
    rot'napple wrote: »
    "Why is it a great ad? The worst past is the person horribly mangling chopsticks or whatever it is at the end. I'm no pianist but even I could play it better than the person in the ad did."

Someone else beat me to it and agree, hope you're just fun'in and playing ignorant, but the lousy playing pianist paints the broader stroke of a lousy experience on the iPad.  Kind of like the Mac vs PC ads where PC spins a Choose a Vista spinning wheel and hopes for something great and gets 'Lose a Turn' and the Mac dude says, "Wait, didn't you make this?"  It's just MS finally getting an ad agency that has put forth a couple of mediocre commercials at Apple's expense, the Samsung/Apple feud during a wedding and now this.  Don't take it too seriously.  MS is still touting Microsoft products it has to peddle at all those cool and 'crowded' MS stores!

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
    But GarageBand on the iPad isn't a lousy experience. If that was really their angle, why not show someone drawing/writing on Windows tablet vs iPad. That's an instance where the experience on iPad is not as good.
  • Reply 35 of 147
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Just saw this during the NBA playoff game (Heat & Pacers) and gotta admit it was a little funny. I have no desire to get a MS Surface. The commercial does not make me want one either. But it was humorous........When you are number one like Apple is...the others will take their pot shots at you.....

• Reply 36 of 147
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    mstone wrote: »
    I guess we can scratch Office for iOS off the list. No PowerPoint for you!

Oh thank god! I worried there for a minute the iPad would be soiled by the Office Ribbon.
  • Reply 37 of 147
    bevochanbevochan Posts: 10member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Why is it a great ad? The worst past is the person horribly mangling chopsticks or whatever it is at the end. I'm no pianist but even I could play it better than the person in the ad did.

I think they wanted the iPad person to sound like an amateur playing piano.

• Reply 38 of 147
    Pretty Sure Microsoft should just wait til iOS 7 is shown off at WWDC '13.

Also that new Xbox One looks like it's a VCR from the 70's.
  • Reply 39 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

But IS a 64GB iPad really comparable to the Windows RT tablet, which only has about 23GB of usable space? And why can't Microsoft get over the notion that we're all just waiting for a device on which to do "work"?

iPads now sell also in 128 GB. BOOM. Take that Microsoft.

• Reply 40 of 147
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Oh thank god! I worried there for a minute the iPad would be soiled by the Office Ribbon.

Ohhhh no Office Ribbon will ever be on my iPad!