Apple retail workers file class action suit claiming lost wages over bag searches

Comments

• Reply 61 of 291
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    Apple employees should never be allowed to bring in bags to work.

Prisons, the CIA, and other secure government facilities would never allow this since this allows drugs and other things to be smuggled into the prison or out of the prison.

If you want to bring your own lunch, store it in the car. If you have a bag, keep it in your car.
    If they can't bring bags to work, how are they going to smuggle out iPhones? If things continue to escalate, Apple store managers are going to have to start wearing gloves to do their searches.
  • Reply 62 of 291
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Let sue the government do you know how many time I had to wait in air port line for more than an hour so they can check every person and I can tell you my hourly wage is far more than the folks working at Apple. Maybe Apple would not need to do this if the employee were honest and maybe told on the one's who were ripping the place off.

As someone pointed out, if you do not want to be delayed how about not bring stuff to work, I swear people carry all their junk with them all the time.

I had a buddy who owned gas stations with convenience stores and he never told anyone he was the owner and use to show up and told all the hourly workers he was the manager. He would talk trash about the owner, (himself) and then hourly worker would then tell him all the crap they would do like stealing food and such. He said the workers cost him more than thieves coming in off the street.

• Reply 63 of 291
    Corporations are people too!
  • Reply 64 of 291

Well you're not allowed to have a bag with you when you go to see Comrade Lenin's embalmed corpse so the same should apply when going to work in a shop.

• Reply 65 of 291
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

100% correct, and I bet most of these employees are not productive 100% of the time while at work. 

Projecting much?

• Reply 66 of 291
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Welcome to liberal America. Thanks to Roosevelt, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Bush, Clinton and Obama. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 67 of 291
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Your experience is irrelevant.

You are on salary, they are hourly employees. It's illegal to require an hourly employee to work off the clock, and these bag checks are uncompensated work time.

No contract can legally modify this, it's completely irrelevant if they signed something.

Work? They aren't working, they are standing there getting their bags checked. Furthermore, how ridiculous would Apple look if they went after employees that were not productive 100% of the time to dock their pay. Oh boy, I'm sure the world would be after them. 

• Reply 68 of 291
    Former Fruit Store worker here...

1) Yes we did have bag searches - nobody really cared if it was done before or after clocking out though. If a manager was available in the back, you could do the bag search and then clock out. If you have to find a manager on the sales floor, it was off the clock.

2) A bag, while not crucial, is a basic need in this line of work. They don't have desks or anything. When I first started we didn't even have lockers. How many people only go to work carrying what they have in their pockets? You want your wallet in your pants when the store is packed with 200 people? No change of clothes, no food, no drink, no shoes, no writing utensils, no business cards, no envelope openers? Nothing to read or entertain yourself at lunch? I like how people suddenly become anti-bag when it's put up against the almighty Apple.

3) at my store the wait was maybe 1-2 minutes - within the give-and-take of a professional. My store was serious about paying you for every minute - driving to off-site meetings, attending quarterly pow-wows, etc. I never felt cheated for hourly pay but not all 400 stores may be like mine.

4) One issue is how busy the stores get. It can take quite a few minutes just to get in and out of a store, much less track down an unoccupied manager. But if everyone in the store understands that employees need to get out on time, it shouldn't be a big deal for a manager to excuse themselves for 10 seconds to check a bag. Waiting for 15 minutes seems ridiculous. That's a week and a half every year.
  • Reply 69 of 291
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Projecting much?

Many, many years in management has shown this to be true. NO ONE works 100% of the time. People stop to chat with friends, get up to use the rest room off their required break times, I could go on and on, but it's a known fact. 

• Reply 70 of 291
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    Apple employees should never be allowed to bring in bags to work.

Prisons, the CIA, and other secure government facilities would never allow this since this allows drugs and other things to be smuggled into the prison or out of the prison.

You're actually comparing Apple retail stores to prisons, the CIA and government buildings?

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha.

Seriously, did you did actually type that with a straight face?
  • Reply 71 of 291
    Big Apple fan but if they are taking more than a minute or 2 to search hourly employees on their way out, the employees should be on the clock getting paid.
  • Reply 72 of 291
    caliminiuscaliminius Posts: 944member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Welcome to liberal America. Thanks to Roosevelt, Johnson, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Bush, Clinton and Obama. :rolleyes:

Yes, those liberal a-hole employees wanting to get paid for time they were required to be at work. Why can't they just understand the glory that was bestowed upon them by being graced with working for the almighty Apple. All hail the mighty fruit!!!!!

May your iPhone screen never crack and your Mac never kernel panic.

Death to the company of a hundred zeros!!!!

(And seriously, Nixon and Bush as liberals? What alternate reality have you been living in?)
  • Reply 73 of 291

Apple salaries

Tim Cook:  $387m

Bob Mansfield - $85.5m

Bruce Sewell - $69m

Jeff Williams - $68.7m

Peter Oppenheimer - $68.6m

And people think those Apple employees who work for an hourly rate should be happy for the privilege of donating their own time so the company can afford to pay their executives that little bit extra?

• Reply 74 of 291
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Hold it!  What's in the bag, Genius?

Apple sounds like they take terrific care of their executive staff....    everyone else, not so much.

• Reply 75 of 291
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Many, many years in management has shown this to be true. NO ONE works 100% of the time. People stop to chat with friends, get up to use the rest room off their required break times, I could go on and on, but it's a known fact. 

You are posting in the working day I see ?
  • Reply 76 of 291

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Really? No!

Jesus!

• Reply 77 of 291
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Apple salaries

Tim Cook:  $387m

Bob Mansfield - $85.5m

Bruce Sewell - $69m

Jeff Williams - $68.7m

Peter Oppenheimer - $68.6m

And people think those Apple employees who work for an hourly rate should be happy for the privilege of donating their own time so the company can afford to pay their executives that little bit extra?

:no:

For my part I doubt the fifteen minutes per employee per day. Thats the average per employee indicating searches are on average half an hour per day. Sounds like a bogus suit.
  • Reply 78 of 291
    rainrain Posts: 538member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

None of these cases are valid. Ladies do not "need" bags.

Spoken like a true 50 year old virgin.

• Reply 79 of 291

I missed it in the Bill of Rights where employees have a civil right to bring a bag to work.  If there is no such right, then what's the problem.  If you don't want your employer to waste your time, then don't bring a bag to work.  It's that simple.  Sure it's more convenient for you to bring a bag, but it's not your employer's responsibility to make work convenient for you.  Sure it's nice, but they shouldn't be required to do so. 

• Reply 80 of 291
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

That's humorous. The world doesn't revolve around the individual. I'm right.

....says the individual.

Humorous, indeed.