Apple announces iPhone 5s: Touch ID fingerprint security, 64-bit A7 CPU, new gold option coming Sept

Comments

• Reply 201 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rain View Post

You didn't list a single 'innovation'.

A faster chip is not 'innovation' - it's progress.

"Much better camera" is not innovation - not when competitors have better ones using the same method of programming.

Fingerprint Security - Apple didn't innovate this, they implemented it.

Same price as predecessor - innovation? lol

Just why are you so obsessed with spelling out that Apple isn't innovating?  By your own definitions no other smart phone companies are innovating either, they're only 'progressing', so why not mention some other brands whilst you're at it?  Or do you maybe count 'near-field communication' as a real big innovation?  That's something iPhone 5S isn't doing yet.  Well that sure as shit isn't, it's just some new thing some particular phone companies have decided to slap on.

For me, the innovation from Apple has to be in implementation and design and practical use of the technologies that very obviously already exist for any smart phone company to 'progress'.... For me, Apple has demonstrated that today in several cases.

• Reply 202 of 298

I was thinking the same thing on the ATV.  What could an A7 processor do to that little device?  Gaming would be brought up to par with PS3 and Xbox360 at the least.  4K TV would be achievable.....  Just need to insure they have enough A7's for the phone, and it should find it's way into ATV.  

Also, nobody talks about the two color temps for the LED flashes and how it will determine the right balance when using the flash.  Everyone just thought it was two bulbs to increase brightness, instead they played with the aperture, increased the CMOS and added some software/hardware tricks to do that.  That's cool.

That M7 Processor is going to be another big deal moving forward.  Imagine not having to wake up the A7 just to keep up with your movements.  Big battery saver.

• Reply 203 of 298
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snova View Post

no 802.11ac was a surprise.

Yeah, that really is, the macbook air seems to be the only device apple has that can use the airport extremes ac speed.

the 5s looks pretty kickass, I'm in Australia, people buy phones outright quite a bit here, the 64GB iPhone 5 was $899, here is my issue, the replacement iPhone 5s 64GB is $ 1,129.00, thats a pretty decent price jump, I guess i'll wait for the 6.

• Reply 204 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by snova View Post

no 802.11ac was a surprise.

With the new Airports, I was expecting this as well. 

• Reply 205 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jjthomps View Post

Also, nobody talks about the two color temps for the LED flashes and how it will determine the right balance when using the flash.  Everyone just thought it was two bulbs to increase brightness, instead they played with the aperture, increased the CMOS and added some software/hardware tricks to do that.  That's cool.

We talked about this extensively on AI. I know I called out the amber light for skin tones, and I believe others did as well. Increasing the size and quality of the pixel is far greater than adding more, so I am excited to get this in my hands on the 20th!!! 

• Reply 206 of 298

On a device with so little RAM, it's not like 64-addressing will be used anytime soon.

On a device that largely needs to avoid doing lots of processing, having a 64 bit processor means more wattage is needed to do the same basic tasks. Apple should have worked on specializing power-hungry tasks rather than upgrade to 64 bits.

• Reply 207 of 298
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    goodfellow wrote: »
    On a device with so little RAM, it's not like 64-addressing will be used anytime soon.
    On a device that largely needs to avoid doing lots of processing, having a 64 bit processor means more wattage is needed to do the same basic tasks. Apple should have worked on specializing power-hungry tasks rather than upgrade to 64 bits.

1080p on a cell phone isn't necessary either but I bet you got off on it when Android phones starting coming out with it.

Oh and the M7 chip solves some of this power hungry "motion" tasks.
  • Reply 208 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by goodfellow View Post

Running OpenCL kernels in 64 bit is one of the new [OpenCL particularly being added to iOS] bits to improving performance on the 5C/5S/iPad upcoming series and moving forward.

Note the extensions options here: http://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/sdk/1.0/docs/man/xhtml/EXTENSION.html

Lots of work going into LLVM/Clang to make OpenCL 1.2 bumper to bumper that will run on all Apple products that can leverage OpenCL.

• Reply 209 of 298
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Running OpenCL kernels in 64 bit is one of the new [OpenCL particularly being added to iOS] bits to improving performance on the 5C/5S/iPad upcoming series and moving forward.

Note the extensions options here: http://www.khronos.org/registry/cl/sdk/1.0/docs/man/xhtml/EXTENSION.html

Lots of work going into LLVM/Clang to make OpenCL 1.2 bumper to bumper that will run on all Apple products that can leverage OpenCL.

How much RAM is coming with these new 5s's?   I didn't catch the number from the Keynote and their site doesn't say.

• Reply 210 of 298
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,324member
    drblank wrote: »

How much RAM is coming with these new 5s's?   I didn't catch the number from the Keynote and their site doesn't say.

Up to 64gb.

There is one omission I find odd considering the new and faster 64-bit architecture: the 5S doesn't support the faster 802.11ac wifi standard if I'm correct. It appears to be commonly supported in other recent devices.
  • Reply 211 of 298
    Heard Apple underclocked the new A7 64 bit CPU to save on the battery life! Will wait till the iPhone 6 - where they will restore the clock speed! Not crazy about the fingerprint security either!
  • Reply 212 of 298
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

So, no preorders for iPhone 5S? Only 5C?

Apple wants to generate lines at the Apple Store; so the new media will report on Apple fanboys waiting 3 days before September 20th camping out!  It free PR for three days straight.  Advertising website saying that that saves Apple around $150 million in ads in the U.S. since it is aired in all three time spots - morning, 6p.m. and 10 p.m. news spots and the Evening national news too.  Also, major newspaper will cover the opening day for the new iPhones too!

• Reply 213 of 298
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Up to 64gb.

There is one omission I find odd considering the new and faster 64-bit architecture: the 5S doesn't support the faster 802.11ac wifi standard if I'm correct. It appears to be commonly supported in other recent devices.

Apple does expect the 802.11 ac to be coming soon like 2 years from now!  The 802.11 ac; has royalties attached and Apple probably will not do this until the routers become common place.

• Reply 214 of 298
    gatorguy wrote: »

Up to 64gb.

He's asking for RAM, not NAND.

5C gets 1GB, 5S is still unknown, according to Wiki, for whatever that's worth (though I do find it a good starting point to search, unlike Google or Bing)
  • Reply 215 of 298
    philboogie wrote: »
    He's asking for RAM, not NAND.

Ooops. Thanks Phil! I don't think Apple typically announces that do they. Not saying they never do.

EDIT: For those that care about such things here's a side-by-side spec comparison of the new 5S, 5C and prev. gen 5.
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple-iPhone-5S-vs-iPhone-5C-vs-iPhone-5-specs-comparison-spot-the-differences_id47283
  • Reply 216 of 298
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Up to 64gb.

That's not the amount of RAM, that's the amount of storage.

• Reply 217 of 298
    That's not the amount of RAM, that's the amount of storage.

I guess you read the two posts just before yours. :\
  • Reply 218 of 298
    netrox wrote: »
    No, with 64-bit OS, it will be able to handle massive video files without having to split them. 
    This has nothing to do with the CPU. It's a file system restriction.
  • Reply 219 of 298
    Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

Heard Apple underclocked the new A7 64 bit CPU to save on the battery life! Will wait till the iPhone 6 - where they will restore the clock speed!

Every single iPhone has been underclocked. They will not be "restoring" anything in the 8th iPhone, because it will get its own, new processor which itself will be underclocked. Be quiet.

Not crazy about the fingerprint security either!

Don't use it. HOLY COW, WHAT A CONCEPT.

• Reply 220 of 298

I'm chomping at the bit to upgrade my iPhone 4 to the 5s. 

Whether 64-bit is necessary or not.   EVERYTHING will be an upgrade for me and I always like to plan for the future. 

Bummer that it doesn't have 11AC as I want to upgrade my network to 11AC devices only within the next 18 months. 

Touch ID has awesome capability and the camera is going to be a very welcome upgrade. 

If someone doesn't care ..they care choose another product but the 5s is a welcome upgrade to this household.