Apple Vision Pro $3,499 mixed-reality headset launches at WWDC after years of rumors

Comments

• Reply 41 of 245
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member
    dewme said:
    Pretty amazing for a 1.0 product ... but the price is going to scare away a lot of regular folks. 
    The price will come down rapidly. In a few years, it may cost not much more than what the highest-end iPhone costs today.

Initially, it'll be pitched to developers, high-end gamers, corporations, universities, etc., and Apple will probably sell no more than a few hundred thousand. In five years' time, the company could be selling many tens of millions. Also, the fact that it seems to be thoroughly integrated with the iPhone, the iPad and the Mac will make the entire ecosystem of apps available right from the get-go makes it all the more attractive.
    tmaycg27baconstangStrangeDays9secondkox2hcrefugeejas99ravnorodomwatto_cobraradarthekat
  • Reply 42 of 245
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    Foveated rendering? Nailed it!

Roughly 5K screen per eye yielding 20/40 vision equivalent? Nailed it!

I'm glad to hear about the lenticular array for perspective correction on the outward-facing display. That will go a long way towards making it not creepy to interact with somebody wearing a set. The synthesized avatar for FaceTime looks pretty creepy, though. We'll see how it does in reality later.
    StrangeDaysrezwitswatto_cobraradarthekatAlex_VCluntBaby92Alex1Njony0
  • Reply 43 of 245
    waveparticlewaveparticle Posts: 1,497member
    This is better than headsets from Meta and Alphabets before. More complicated design. The price is worth for the people that want to use it. 
    tmaycg27baconstangnubusjas99rezwitswatto_cobraradarthekatAlex_VCluntBaby92
  • Reply 44 of 245
    XedXed Posts: 2,519member
    netling said:
    rob53 said:
    Could be a great replacement for a large screen TV. No glare. Great for small apartments. 

Seeing the 3D scanning of your face makes me wonder when 3D scanning apps using the front cameras/LiDAR will come out allowing scanning of “things” imported into 3D CAD systems. High quality handheld scanners are expensive. 

I agree, and you're right on the 3D scamming, but as for the small apartments, most though not all, small apartment people outside of big cities can't afford a big apartment, let alone a $3,500 headset.  Now, I guess if that someone was replacing their Macbook Pro and a quality display with this, it could be financed, but just as a way of watching TV... that's going to be a hard sell, especially when $3,500 would buy you a high-end 85" TV with a sound bar that the entire family can enjoy. My wife and I and in a small two-bedroom, and I could justify two Quest 2, bought via ebay so we could use it to workout and play games together, but now we would be talking about $7,000, which is a HUGE when considering saving for a house, car, education, etc.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out because, at this point, I am honestly thinking that Apple has lost touch with reality and Tim and Company are hanging out with too many "middle-class millionaires." to understand that $3,500 isn't just a lot for a headset it's a ton when compared to Meta Quest, who is going to see a HUGE boost from the masses from this.  Yes, Vision Pro is on a whole other level, but the masses will use this for gaming, tv, and live chat... non of which Vision Pro is focused on.
    How much was the original Macintosh before you adjust for inflation?

Also, despite your argument about people in big cities not being able to afford BIG apartments caters to a device like this. I would've been happy to pay $3500 for a NYC apartment each month. It certainly would've made it easier to not have a separate living room if I had a device like this, instead of my 15" Intel MacBook Pro.
    jas99rezwitswatto_cobrazeus423radarthekat
  • Reply 45 of 245
    I was very skeptic before the presentation that this kind of product could be for me, even if Apple would have designed it. I convinced myself that this will definitely not be for me in any way. What for having such huge glasses (see the rumours on it) on the head trying to watch something and being completely outside of the real world, like shown on some SF movies…
    I just want one! Almost all the use-cases shown fit to my personal uses, except for games. My computer screen is never huge enough, my TV is not large enough, photos always look small, and I can’t do anything else while watching… But Apple did it again! I just want to have one! Or two, for my wife.
    Back to reality, I’ll at least have to wait until it’ll be available where I live, and I’ll need to save some money money too. Haven’t planned to change our AV devices any soon, so patience comes first.
    Being able to analyse the capabilities of the device and the work behind, I think it will be a greater revolution than the iPhone was. 
    To the haters: don’t worry, Apple is doomed and the earth is flat…
    tmayanantksundaramrmusikantowRudeBoyRudyjas99ravnorodomrezwitswatto_cobraradarthekatAlex_V
  • Reply 46 of 245
    nubusnubus Posts: 355member
    Social isolation as a product? I agree with those stating that it is good for wealthy singles - if you like ending up as a couch potato as happened to all the persons shown. It probably requires a max dose of Wegovy for you to stay fit.

In-flight entertainment but only for flights <2 hours? You can run Office (why!) while waving your hands (this requires major changes to interior design and open offices). It has FakeTime with your faux persona taking the spot - you will look the same distant you every day. The device is a technical marvel but a $3500... this could however end up being used massively by defence.

williamlondonrezwits
  • Reply 47 of 245
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    I imagine the Vision Pro preceding a Vision Air and possibly a Vision SE somewhere down the line. These aren’t for consumers in the same way that the Mac Pro isn’t for consumers. Our version won’t take too long once this is out in the wild, because then the fine-tuning of the hardware and software can begin and margins can improve, making an affordable model more realistic. But make no mistake, Apple wants as many people to use these as possible, so the price won’t stay like that for very long. They have services to sell us, after all. 
    cg272morrowrezwitswatto_cobraAlex_VradarthekaturashidCluntBaby92Alex1Njony0
  • Reply 48 of 245
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    I think the features look pretty fantastic. I also can’t believe I was wrong about the price. I didn’t think they would try and sell it for as much as $3000.  I was certain about that. Not a customer at this price. 
    2morrowgrandact73watto_cobraAlex1N
  • Reply 49 of 245
    Comfort wasn’t mentioned. For people to even use it for work, that’s a must. Could someone comfortably write wearing this thing typing on virtual kb or dictate? I wished they extrapolate that more. As for the AR aspect, it could be exciting if somehow precision in measuring things can be had with this device. Built in ruler in AR was novel when Tim first brought up AR. But I really would love to have a precision tool for measuring things using this. Lidar made iPhone somewhat useful for measuring. A useful zoom would be great. Built-in binoculars and any vision enhancing utilities would really be something. Maybe night vision. It’s a great start imo. Of course, trying it is a must. The interface portion of this device, if it’s a winner, points to what other innovations can be had. But I still believe comfort needs to be achieved. Otherwise, it will sit right next to my Oculus Rift 2 in its box.
    9secondkox2williamlondongrandact73watto_cobraCluntBaby92Alex1N
  • Reply 50 of 245
    twolf2919twolf2919 Posts: 106member
    I watched the introduction and couldn't help but laugh when I saw this thing: like a mix of ski and scuba goggles - bonus: the "see through" eyes that seem slightly larger than real-life LOL.  Then I noticed the tether that every shot tried so desperately to hide - in hair, scarfs...anything.  By the time I saw the price I already knew this was DOA - the $3500 was just the flowers on the grave.

Don't get me wrong: from a technical perspective, Apple did an amazing job.  But this product is done in by its form factor - nobody wants to be even more isolated than they already are by wearing dorky goggles, tethered to some batteries in your pocket no less - and by the lack of a killer app.   You heard the word "replace" a lot during the presentation - it can "replace" a large screen TV (not mentioned, of course, is that it can only do so when you're alone)...it can replace multiple monitors so you can work with more of your apps (of course, interacting with those apps is a lot more clumsy than with a physical keyboard and mouse/touchpad)....I kept looking for the metaphor that best fits this product as presented - "jumped the shark" came to mind.  Apple just threw everything it had at the board and hoped that something will stick to make this product succeed.  But I really don't see a standout feature I'd pay $3500 for.  Heck - I don't see a standout feature I'd pay $1000 for.  Now - if this had been presented in a nice pair of stylish AR glasses without an insane tether to an external battery, I might have been convinced....wait another 3-5 years, I guess.
    9secondkox2ravnorodomwilliamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 51 of 245
    techconctechconc Posts: 275member
    Here are my initial thoughts...

Positives
    • On the positive side, I do believe Apple will bring a best in class product to market.  As this type of device goes, this does look pretty cool (for what it is).
    Negatives
    • Apple continues to completely miss the boat on gaming.  The demo should have feature a AAA game as a reference for what is possible for others.  A vague mention of Apple Arcade doesn't cut it. 
    • "Starting price" of $3499 pretty much makes this a non-starter from the majority of people who don't actually need a device like this.  
    Maybe at half the price, with some future version maybe based on something like an M5 chip and a large catalog of games, etc. would this be compelling for me.  I'm curious to try it, but doubt I'd get one anytime soon (after it's released).

9secondkox2williamlondongrandact73CluntBaby92Alex1N
  • Reply 52 of 245
    Comfort wasn’t mentioned. For people to even use it for work, that’s a must. Could someone comfortably write wearing this thing typing on virtual kb or dictate? I wished they extrapolate that more. As for the AR aspect, it could be exciting if somehow precision in measuring things can be had with this device. Built in ruler in AR was novel when Tim first brought up AR. But I really would love to have a precision tool for measuring things using this. Lidar made iPhone somewhat useful for measuring. A useful zoom would be great. Built-in binoculars and any vision enhancing utilities would really be something. Maybe night vision. It’s a great start imo. Of course, trying it is a must. The interface portion of this device, if it’s a winner, points to what other innovations can be had. But I still believe comfort needs to be achieved. Otherwise, it will sit right next to my Oculus Rift 2 in its box.
    They devoted an entire segment of the demo on comfortably wearing the device on the back of the head,  the front of the face, and the overall weight of the device.
    baconstangJP234anantksundaramStrangeDaysRudeBoyRudyhcrefugeejas99roundaboutnowwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 245
    And it isn’t even on the market until NEXT year. Maybe that’s why they bumped the price- they expect more inflation and want to preserve their profit forecasts from the $3000 rumor.
    As others have said, it will take several years before this is possibly a mass consumer success- probably along the lines of appleWatch - other companies could come along and try to deliver the most useful aspects of a headset (at a more reasonable price) but given Metas lackluster effort, it doesn’t seem likely- so time is on Apple’s side to improve with future evolution.
    edited June 2023 baconstangwatto_cobraCluntBaby92
  • Reply 54 of 245
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 604member
    Well I’m sold. It looks to me to be the first mature AR/VR product.

I’ve tried other VR headsets and they are all clunky gadgets compared to this.

I have a habit of watching movies alone late at night on my home cinema projector - so I can see that being a significant use to me.

Now ideally I want major apps to be updated to integrate fully with this; for example so I can sculpt in ZBrush while viewing the object in actual 3D not on a 2D monitor. 

3D gaming would be cool on this too, I used to love playing MotorStorm in 3D on the Playstation and this would be even better.

Another use for me would be when I’m on my WaterRower - I want to be transported so I’m rowing down the Nile in my own home. 

To me it’s the start of a new journey, only time will tell how it pans out, largely depending on what developers do with it, but if it’s like iPod, iPhone, airPods, iPad, Watch… 
    edited June 2023 cg27Japheyjas99rezwitswatto_cobraxixoAlex_VradarthekatAlex1Njony0
  • Reply 55 of 245
    jdsocaljdsocal Posts: 3member
    What a bunch of negative DORKS on this site. Much like the iPhone, until you use it you can't understand its utility.

At least be intelligent or insightful if you're going to be dorks.
    cg27baconstanganantksundaramRudeBoyRudyjas99williamlondonrezwitswatto_cobramike1radarthekat
  • Reply 56 of 245
    twolf2919 said:
    I watched the introduction and couldn't help but laugh when I saw this thing: like a mix of ski and scuba goggles - bonus: the "see through" eyes that seem slightly larger than real-life LOL.  Then I noticed the tether that every shot tried so desperately to hide - in hair, scarfs...anything.  By the time I saw the price I already knew this was DOA - the $3500 was just the flowers on the grave.

Don't get me wrong: from a technical perspective, Apple did an amazing job.  But this product is done in by its form factor - nobody wants to be even more isolated than they already are by wearing dorky goggles, tethered to some batteries in your pocket no less - and by the lack of a killer app.   You heard the word "replace" a lot during the presentation - it can "replace" a large screen TV (not mentioned, of course, is that it can only do so when you're alone)...it can replace multiple monitors so you can work with more of your apps (of course, interacting with those apps is a lot more clumsy than with a physical keyboard and mouse/touchpad)....I kept looking for the metaphor that best fits this product as presented - "jumped the shark" came to mind.  Apple just threw everything it had at the board and hoped that something will stick to make this product succeed.  But I really don't see a standout feature I'd pay $3500 for.  Heck - I don't see a standout feature I'd pay $1000 for.  Now - if this had been presented in a nice pair of stylish AR glasses without an insane tether to an external battery, I might have been convinced....wait another 3-5 years, I guess.
    No, you didn't notice that. You made that up.

All 8 photos of it being worn on their main page shows a cable very clearly.

https://www.apple.com/apple-vision-pro/
    baconstanganantksundaramchutzpah9secondkox2RudeBoyRudykiltedgreenStrangeDayshcrefugeejas99roundaboutnow
  • Reply 57 of 245
    nubus said:
    Social isolation as a product? I agree with those stating that it is good for wealthy singles - if you like ending up as a couch potato as happened to all the persons shown. It probably requires a max dose of Wegovy for you to stay fit.

In-flight entertainment but only for flights <2 hours? You can run Office (why!) while waving your hands (this requires major changes to interior design and open offices). It has FakeTime with your faux persona taking the spot - you will look the same distant you every day. The device is a technical marvel but a $3500... this could however end up being used massively by defence.
    Why is that? Every flight I've taken for the last decade has had power outlets for power. Maybe try to fly Frontier next time.
    baconstang9secondkox2jas99roundaboutnowwilliamlondonwatto_cobramike1Alex_VAlex1Njony0
  • Reply 58 of 245
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,623member
    I like it for what it is and where it's pointing.

There probably isn't as much revolutionary technology in it as some may have hoped but there are plenty of nice design touches and a lot of finesse.

In the grand scheme of things it does what current headsets basically do or are aiming to do but splashes out on bleeding edge options which obviously skyrocket the initial price and take it far off most  people's radar. 

The first folding phones were $2,000+ and sold extremely well. I'm sure most of those buyers upgraded those to the following generations. 

I see no reason the Vision Pro can't be a 'success' in the same way with that audience. I wouldn't like to say how long it will take for prices to come down. All I know is that I saw promise in the Quest line so Apple is picking up on the same idea and hitting the luxury market with it. 

Over time the Quest et al will add better, faster tech and Apple’s prices will come down. The actual products could converge on the market at some point and compete for the same users. I wouldn't rule out an Air (light) version at some point either. 

This first generation product seems to have completely skipped one key area which is XR in public scenarios. Given the device limitations (size/battery use time) and connectivity options (5.5G isn't here yet) that is understandable. 

I really can't see anyone actually wearing the device to record a 3D moment of a birthday party as depicted (unless they repeat the scene) but it's a nice option to have. 

Overall I think it's great as a Gen 1 device even if it won't be available for a while. 

Integration with other devices is a plus too. 

The 5,000 patent part reminded me of the original iPhone launch. 
    edited June 2023 baconstangdewmeradarthekatAlex_VCluntBaby92Alex1Njony0
  • Reply 59 of 245
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    The UI is just how I had imagined. Great potential but of course pricy and limited, just like iPhone 1. Throw in lot of apps, significantly lower price point, and this could replace both your msc and ipad, and to some extent the iPhone. When the price economics fits this setup, this will really kik off, just like the iPhone. 
    williamhwatto_cobraradarthekatAlex_VthtAlex1Njony0
  • Reply 60 of 245
    Being able to arrange app screens at any size all around you is great in theory, BUT it will be interesting to see how Mac app developers handle bringing their programs to the VP...if they do it at all. It sounds like the current VP/Mac connection is limited to a reproduction of what is showing on the Mac screen only. I mean, that's still pretty cool that it could be gigantic relative to your actual screen size, but being able to separate all the running apps out into individual screens arranged around you would be better. 
    edited June 2023 watto_cobraAlex1N