Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 461 of 1176
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

So what is this new sheet animation?

Imagine a piece of paper coming towards you before it folds down.
  • Reply 462 of 1176
    There's somthing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, but I can't be the only one wondering why Apple made Helvetica condensed in Panther?!?
  • Reply 463 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Imagine a piece of paper coming towards you before it folds down.

Any chance you could use SnapzPro to take a short QuickTime movie of this animation?

Anyone else? I'd love to see it!

Thanks!

-------------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 464 of 1176
    deestardeestar Posts: 105member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

There's somthing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, but I can't be the only one wondering why Apple made Helvetica condensed in Panther?!?

Yeah I noticed that, I think it looks a bit untidy.
  • Reply 465 of 1176
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    It fits better on the A4 sized tablet screen.
  • Reply 466 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

It fits better on the A4 sized tablet screen.

Perhaps, but Apple will be slaughtered for condensing Helvetica.

They did it to Lucida Grande too in some places btw.
  • Reply 467 of 1176
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    B44 is nice! Fast, the new animation brought a smile to my face, and the bugs seem to be disappearing. Only thing that I noticed is the hot corners don't activate screen saver at all. ohhh well! Sweet build though.

Just a quick note that I've noticed. Applications now open in the background. For instance, if you're working in iPhoto and you open up iTunes, that program opens up in the background so the window no longer pops up and interferes with what you were doing. Is this a bug or a feature? Frankly, I hope this is a feature and they keep it like that! Only when you're in the Finder does the app come to the foreground when opened, other than that, the app windows open up behind the app you're running. Awesome. But bug or feature?

Hmmm. It's inconsistent, must be a bug.
  • Reply 468 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gambit

B44 is nice! Fast, the new animation brought a smile to my face, and the bugs seem to be disappearing. Only thing that I noticed is the hot corners don't activate screen saver at all. ohhh well! Sweet build though.

Just a quick note that I've noticed. Applications now open in the background. For instance, if you're working in iPhoto and you open up iTunes, that program opens up in the background so the window no longer pops up and interferes with what you were doing. Is this a bug or a feature? Frankly, I hope this is a feature and they keep it like that! Only when you're in the Finder does the app come to the foreground when opened, other than that, the app windows open up behind the app you're running. Awesome. But bug or feature?

Hmmm. It's inconsistent, must be a bug.

They could add a hotkey that, when held, would bring the app to the front automatically. The option key, for instance, hides the current app and shows the opened one, at least in 7B39.
  • Reply 469 of 1176
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Can anyone do a Snapz capture of the sheet animation?

(Brad?)
  • Reply 470 of 1176
    panicxpanicx Posts: 37member
    even less pinstripes in this build I have heard, like in DiskUtily and

sys prefs toolbar... no stripes

yes, good apple, good... no stripes yes good! :P
  • Reply 471 of 1176
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by panicX

yes, good apple, good... no stipes yes good! :P

Copy paste jobs from MacNN? Or is it the other way around? Even the grammar mistakes were copied. Pathetic.
  • Reply 472 of 1176
    panicxpanicx Posts: 37member
    If I am the same user with a different nick (wich I am) on two Panther

forums on different sites and I want to post the comment on both

forums I am pathetic?

Think Again (and different this time) .. YOU are the pathetic one

that you even bother with it. And that you can't even open your

mind to any other assumption then the one you made.

First you say it is a copy/paste job, then you say it has the same

spelling mistake... yeh...duh... logical if it is copy/paste right?

(to make you happy I corrected them on both forums)

Sorry for sounding harsh but...

Please go find someone your own size to pick on, mistah

(however, apologies will be accepted)
  • Reply 473 of 1176
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    Quote:

Originally posted by panicX

yes, good apple, good... no stripes yes good! :P

Hmm...I actually like the stripes Panther will have.. It makes the operating system's interface unique in my opinion.
  • Reply 474 of 1176
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwill

Hmm...I actually like the stripes Panther will have.. It makes the operating system's interface unique in my opinion.

I agree. It gives it texture and depth, harking back to the days of OS 9 and the horizontal straipes on title bars: it looks like something grippy and easy to drag.

The plain gradient title bars in XP really don't look cool because there's no texture in them.
  • Reply 475 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by andrewm

They could add a hotkey that, when held, would bring the app to the front automatically. The option key, for instance, hides the current app and shows the opened one, at least in 7B39.

An option in the general preferences pane would be more convenient, I think. Sounds like Panther is getting more and more featureful than was expected.
  • Reply 476 of 1176
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Can anyone do a Snapz capture of the sheet animation?

(Brad?)

It's not much to see (it's we're talking about the same thing). Instead of sliding down, it's more like it's rolling down from something it's hanging on. But the best thing about it, is that it is to quick. The old animation was pretty slow and was annoying every time you were doing something quickly, like making haste through a quick installer, but this animation is just quick and you don't have to sit and wait for it.
  • Reply 477 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

It's not much to see (it's we're talking about the same thing). Instead of sliding down, it's more like it's rolling down from something it's hanging on. But the best thing about it, is that it is to quick. The old animation was pretty slow and was annoying every time you were doing something quickly, like making haste through a quick installer, but this animation is just quick and you don't have to sit and wait for it.

Ohhh, you mean it's a new minimize effect?
  • Reply 478 of 1176
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    No.

Try for example and fire up the installer for an app, that has a license-agreement. Upon pressing "Next", you're prompted with this "I agree" and "I'm stupid and I don't want to install this software anyways"-buttons. This dialogue slides down from the top of Installer.apps window in Jaguar, while it rolls down, more or less in 3D in Panther.

That's at least the effect I talk about

The implementation of Samba, and generally network-browsing is a whole world better than anything else MacOS. Even better than Windows too, because instead of displaying everything very similiar to local folders, you're instead getting a connect-window in the next column in column-view. You do not mount these as a volume.

However, it's very buggy still. I'm on a network with ~50 PC's here, I can connect to a whole lot of them, but whenever I try to open f.ex. a folder, it disappears instead of opening. Weird stuff

And that's so far the only bug I've discovered yet in 7b44 (installed an hour ago). It's Snappy? and nice as $/)%/$, but I cannot comment on whether it's snappier or nicer than the previous builds, because this is the first I've installed.

One hell of an OS!
  • Reply 479 of 1176
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    bgmccollum over at the MacNN forums posted a picture of the new sheet animation, it looks really cool.
  • Reply 480 of 1176
    The animation if anyone hasn't seen it yet.