countdown to new g5's...

Comments

• Reply 201 of 410
    ps5533ps5533 Posts: 476member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Good call, EP! Best reasoning I've seen.

As for 3Ghz, I hope Steve (by way of IBM) can under-promise and over-deliver.

Screed

under promise and over deliver stop talknig about george bush i tired of that
  • Reply 202 of 410
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.
  • Reply 203 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

He's just the AI long term self appointed syntax squad, ignore those posts. Nothing to see there--move along.

who me?
  • Reply 204 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ompus

A quick question for Ensign Pulver: Does insulting someone's intelligence after they misplace an apostrophe on Appleinsider feed an egotistical need - or are you simply a jerk?

Regardless, perhaps you could scratch that itch by using your sig to whine about its, it's, or some other irrelevant point of punctuation, grammar or syntax.

For people whose world view extends beyond their own egos, Othello's joke was pretty funny...

Grammar-insider.com

To what level does the English language need to sink before it's acceptable to point it out? If I spelled the word cat as "katt" would that warrant a general comment on a forum such as this? Spelling fees as "fee's" is just as bad in my book.

And Ompus, punctuation, grammar and syntax are NEVER irrelevant.

Mods - Sorry for the OT rant, but I've tried addressing this issue in GD, but if you don't point it out where it happens it doesn't do any good. Just trying to keep our AI standards up. God knows we need it.
  • Reply 205 of 410
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    I'm posting this to this thread just to clear the air a bit.

Members can edit their posts. If you feel like playing editor, PM them. It's far less confrontational than calling them out in public, and it doesn't clutter threads with OT schoolmarming.

If you decide to send a PM, be nice about it. Accusing people of slop or incoherence or whatever just puts them in a defensive posture.

I expect this to be the last post in this thread on issues of language.
  • Reply 206 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Good call, EP! Best reasoning I've seen.

As for 3Ghz, I hope Steve (by way of IBM) can under-promise and over-deliver.

Screed

Back OT - Thanks sCreeD.

For those worried about Apple abandoning the Mac lately in favor of the iPod, I think the new Xserve G5s are the answer to that. Look for supercomputer clusters like VT's to spring up everywhere starting this quarter. Apple will grab tons of market share, mind share and profits - more than they could with Power Macs and iMacs actually, at least in the short run.
  • Reply 207 of 410
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    deleted
  • Reply 208 of 410
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    and i apologise instantly for posting that. long long day. horrible clients.
  • Reply 209 of 410
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Only 7 more days until the next expected PowerMac update!!!
  • Reply 210 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude [B]Only 7 more days until the next expected PowerMac update!!!

Uhm, how about Thursday? Apple has a history of Thursday updates as well.
  • Reply 211 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by PBG4 Dude

othello,

I believe you can delete your post, if you want.

Back On Topic!

Only 7 more days until the next expected PowerMac update!!!

says who!??!?!
  • Reply 212 of 410
    I'm not worried about VT taking all the new chips - IBM has probably shipped 10,000 to 20,000 of the new chips. No way are they going to be putting out the chips at full speed and shipping them 1,000 at a time.

I'm figuring that we've got another week of going nuts before we can relax for, say, two months. At that time the G5 PB posts will eat up the internet.
  • Reply 213 of 410
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:

Originally posted by PS5533

says who!??!?!

sez me!

I doubt that means anything to Apple though.
  • Reply 214 of 410
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    Given the current channel inventory, there is no way we will see a new G5 in a week. Apple is clearly privileging XServes with this one. I would not be surprised to hear of other G5 clusters popping up. Until XServe demand drops, I would expect every 970FX to go there.

Check out http://www.macprices.com/powermactracker.shtml
  • Reply 215 of 410
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    What demand? They haven't even sold any yet. Further no matter how well Apple does the server market is tiny compared to the G5 PowerMac market.

I have to believe the delays are more critical than a few thousand chips to go to VT. I suspect that they are having trouble qualifying the upgrades and are trying to work out what ever quality issues the rev B PowerMacs may have.

Apple still has plenty of time before it has to debut an PM upgrade, they realize this and want to get the rev B right. Even is that may mean delays past the 20th. Lets face it if Apple intends to keep the present bus ratio they will be moving into completely uncharted waters with respect to frequencies across a PC board.

Frankly they should take their time they have a usefull lead now with e-bus, there is no sense in ruching to market something that is not ready.

Dave

Quote:

Originally posted by *l++

Given the current channel inventory, there is no way we will see a new G5 in a week. Apple is clearly privileging XServes with this one. I would not be surprised to hear of other G5 clusters popping up. Until XServe demand drops, I would expect every 970FX to go there.

• Reply 216 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

and i apologise instantly for posting that. long long day. horrible clients.

Hugs ... I'm a hot babe, no really ...
  • Reply 217 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by *l++

If all Apple has to release is a rev B 2 Ghz chip (ie 970FX) that is in the Xserve, then there isn't even a need to anounce them. I'm sure that IBM is getting more from the die shrink than that. Since that is the only Xserve anounced then there isn't much of a conflict, at least on the high end.
  • Reply 218 of 410
    Quote:

Originally posted by @homenow

If all Apple has to release is a rev B 2 Ghz chip (ie 970FX) that is in the Xserve, then there isn't even a need to anounce them. I'm sure that IBM is getting more from the die shrink than that. Since that is the only Xserve anounced then there isn't much of a conflict, at least on the high end.

excellent point
  • Reply 219 of 410
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

With VT upgrading to Xserves I think we know where the first batch of .09 970s is going. Their first order delayed the original G5 launch and Steve won't make the same mistake twice. He'd much rather have a few more 1,000 G5 Xserve orders on the books than announce new Power Macs or G5 iMacs with no chips to put in them.

Where'd you get that from? If Apple are worried about the delivery of a couple of thousand chips, or even 10,000, then there's problem a lot bigger than having sold some of them elsewhere.

It's much more likely that IBM cannot yet produce the volume Apple requires for G5 towers, but can match Xserve production.

If Apple can match the first quarter sales of G5s they are going to want upwards of 300,000 G5 chips, that's close to 3,500 per day if they were working seven days a week.

Where are 2,000 chips for the VT cluster going to enter into that equation - it's not even a day's production.
  • Reply 220 of 410
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    MacOSRumors is not popular here, but today's posting is interesting.

Quote:

"Word on the grapevine that Apple held back announcing faster Xserve G5s right away (despite having 2.2-2.4GHz+ IBM PPC 970FX processors tested and ready to roll in the new design) not only to build up stock to serve Virginia Tech and a handful of other excited private supercomputing clients -- but to gird for large deals like it is reportedly working on for multiple major government agencies. Included among these are "classified" projects; the price tags on these projects are reportedly "on orders of magnitude that would make your eyes bulge out," according to one source.

If these recent reports prove accurate, Apple would be able to catch up with demand by the general public for faster Xserves after new PowerMac supplies ramp up in the February-March timeframe. There's a long line for large-scale G5 clustering contracts -- Apple's progress in this area is ahead of even its most optimistic estimates which we detailed last September -- and each one involves many millions in revenues, so the outcome of each one can sway the timing of product introductions by weeks if not months in some cases."

EDIT: Oops, just added the last paragraph!