Computer Setup Pictures 2004

Comments

• Reply 61 of 195
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Some of you above might want to sit down about now.

Discretion is advised.

Heard of "Where's Waldo?"

How about "Where's my freaking DESK?"

1. Dont. Ask.
    • Defunct PS2 (I blame GTA3 adn GTA:Vice City, damn them for being so fun)

• Working Newton 2100 aka Mac OS X prototype

• Wireless keyboard for...well...not sure why I got it actually.

• Lacie 120GB

• Stack of various notebooks made out of something called "paper"

• My favorite wired mouse from Contour. The white dot is where I wore out the paint. Mmm...paint in my bloodstream...

• Awesome 1940's Coke sign

2. My R2-D2 DVSE
    • 2 Wacoms visible

• 2 wireless mice visible

• MY GOD, MY ROOM IS A NOAH'S ARK OF MACS

• Managed to not show me naked in the reflection of the iMac. (Kidding. Or AM I?)

3. My Millennium Falcon iBook. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts. (7200 RPM)
    • Toothpaste

• Visine

• Business card of ex-job. Handy.

• Another 120 GB Lacie

• We's iPod...prescioussss

• Sony Leia cans

• A.C. in window in winter - duct taped shut.

---

Murbot, can I use your apartment/office for a weekend? I gotta bring a girl by, and well...you've seen my setup....

• Reply 62 of 195
    Here are some pictures of my office.

I have a dual G5 driving two displays, an Apple Cinema Display and an NEC projector. I also have a 500 Mhz Powerbook, a 40 gig iPod and an iSight.

I got rid of the Linux box and its LCD monitor in the pictures.
  • Reply 63 of 195
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Murbot =

Can believe you move from the Dual G5 to an iBook.......

It really sounds like neutuering
  • Reply 64 of 195
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Shit man, you're forgetting the Pismo and the iMac in between those...

Seriously, I'll take the iBook and $2500 cash over the dual G5. The iBook is pretty fast, and I pretty much forget it's a laptop anyway when I'm using the CRT and external keyboard/mouse. If I feel like surfing on the couch, or I need to take the computer somewhere, I just unplug a few cords and I'm gone.

Well, that's my theory this week, anyway.

• Reply 65 of 195
  • Reply 66 of 195
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I'm also running the display hack, so the 17" Flat CRT is doing 1280x960 at 90Hz to go along with the 1024x768 on the iBook. Gotta love the hack.

I noticed the hack. Any problems with it? I keep on thinking I should apply it...
  • Reply 67 of 195
    Absolutely NO problems whatsoever. It's fantastic.
  • Reply 68 of 195
  • Reply 69 of 195
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    murbot, a 40 GB iPod? Come on! You need to get a mini so you can have an iPod that's smaller than a pack of gum or something and run with it like Messiahtosh!

• Reply 70 of 195
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

[B]Absolutely NO problems whatsoever. It's fantastic. [/B

Originally posted by Leonis

I assume that means NO problems with spanning. If only both of you could say the same WRT the clamshell mode of the hack! \

The little gears in my head are still churning, and I haven't yet decided between the 12-inch PowerBook and 12" iBook G4.

Escher
  • Reply 71 of 195
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Leonis is just being an asshat.

However, he does have an iBook. I was wrong, didn't know he had one.
  • Reply 72 of 195
    Oops, yes Escher, spanning is perfect. Clamshell is not. I tried it again last night and my mouse stopped clicking... I could move it but not click anything. Opened it up and the trackpad was the same, it would track but I couldn't click. Had to hard reboot.

If you *have* to have clamshell, I think you'd be better off with a PowerBook.
  • Reply 73 of 195
    Quote:

If you *have* to have clamshell, I think you'd be better off with a PowerBook.

Rats! For me it's either only the internal LCD (like I've been doing with my iBook/500 for 3 years) or clamshell with my external 17" LCD. I don't want to use the 'Book's crappy washed-out 12" LCD (spanning) next to a shiny new 17" LCD. On the upside, with the PowerBook I'll be able to use my LCD's DVI port and I'll get BT standard. Plus I'll be able to switch between spanning, clamshell etc. at the touch of a (hardware keyboard) button too.

Now if only the Rev.C 12-inch PowerBook with lighted keyboard and dual RAM slots would ship already!

Escher
  • Reply 74 of 195
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

Leonis is just being an asshat.

However, he does have an iBook. I was wrong, didn't know he had one.

yes I do have an iBook.......G3 900

I have mine hacked for dual display too.....but I am just too lazy to type
  • Reply 75 of 195
    Escher, I rarely use my iBook's LCD. It's actually more of a pain to me to use dual displays.

I just have the iBook's LCD turned off. Technically the iBook is powering that display, I just never see it. All I see and work with is the 1280x960 on my CRT.
  • Reply 76 of 195
    murbot: We should probably discuss these iBook clamshell/spanning stuff in this iBook (external) resolution? thread in Current Hardware, instead of clogging up the Setup thread.

I can't wait to post a new setup pic once I chuck my old iBook/500 in favor of a new 12-inch PowerBook. But it will be a bit longer still...

Escher
  • Reply 77 of 195
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Look! I cleaned my desk for you people!

On the left, on top of the VCR is my new iBook G4. Its desktop is my cousin on a snow-mobile. He guides snow-mobile tours in the winter. It's got a 60 gig HD and 256 megs of memory (for now). Beside it is my 19" NEC AccuSync 90 that both computers share when the iBook is at home.

On the screen is a painting of my soon-to-be-father-in-law's 'Vette that my fiance' painted for him for Christmas. The KVM switch is on the top-left of the monitor. That thing on top of the cups is the main surge-protector. It looked much better directly on top of the monitor, but it caused wavering in that corner of the screen, so I had to elevate it.

Nestled amongst the plastic cups is my microphone that runs to my Griffin iMic on top of the KVM, since neither the iBook nor the Quicksilver had analog audio-in of any kind. On top of the surge protector is my fiance's Dazzle DV converter, which the VCR goes with. Behind that is an 80 gig fire-wire drive.

On top of the light is my work-horse, a 2002 Quicksilver 867 with 768 megs of memory, a superdrive, the stock 32meg NVidia card, and three ATA drives totalling 120 gigs.

Beside that is my new Epson Stylus C84 "free" printer. IF that rebate ever comes through I'll get another 512 for my iBook. Below that is my Panasonic DV-100 camcorder which has been with me since my Mac collection consisted of a used B&W G3.

Off-camera is my fiance's Linksys wireless router that keeps the airport on our iBooks happy.
  • Reply 78 of 195
    Quote:

Originally posted by Guartho

Look! I cleaned my desk for you people!

You don't live in the earthquake zone right?
  • Reply 79 of 195
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

You don't live in the earthquake zone right?

The last quake we had 'round here was a doosy. Supposedly made bells ring in Boston. It was at the beginning of the 19th century though.

Trust me, I thoroughly tested it's strength before putting my baby up there. It WOULD take an earthquake to knock it off.

I love Mac-users. I just can't imagine people looking out for my machine on a PC forum.
  • Reply 80 of 195
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Where are you Guartho? I'm curious. You say the quake made bells ring in Boston, but there's no point of reference.