Comments

• Reply 121 of 2106
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Blu-ray CES 2006 Report...

http://www.blu-ray.com/ces2006/
  • Reply 122 of 2106
    Hmm me likes...

Give me a 65in Sharp Aquos with that and we're talkin!
  • Reply 123 of 2106
    Microsoft putting on a public face...?

http://www.windowsitpro.com/windowsp...ott_49103.html

Perhaps realizing that the majority of companies support Blu-ray is chipping away at them.
  • Reply 124 of 2106
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by marzetta7

Microsoft putting on a public face...?

http://www.windowsitpro.com/windowsp...ott_49103.html

Perhaps realizing that the majority of companies support Blu-ray is chipping away at them.

There's no good reason for MS to not support BD at a very basic level in Vista. If HD DVD is good it'll survive it doesn't need Vista to act like BD doesn't exist.
  • Reply 125 of 2106
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

Hmm me likes...

I dunno. The moment I look at that picture, my mind says "Bang & Olufsen." With all due respect to B&O, they're all show and very little go. Very pretty, but very expensive and not very well designed in terms of function.
  • Reply 126 of 2106
    19841984 Posts: 955member
    That Sharp model is one hell of a nice looking Blu-Ray player!
  • Reply 127 of 2106
    Toshiba as expected brought their HD-DVD player (HD-XA1) which is scheduled for US release in March 2006 and will retail for about $800, but surprised us with a new stripped down version of the HD-DVD player (HD-A1) that will be introduced at about $500. The decision to create the stripped down HD-DVD player must have come fairly recently as they only showed a non-working mockup version of the player which didn't have any connections or outputs on the back. The relatively low price shows that Toshiba is willing to offer their player as a loss-leader or at least without making a profit to gain market share. This move seems kind of desperate to us, but we guess that they didn't really have much of a choice. They have less studio support, less hardware support, no significant time-to-market advantage, which leaves them with just one factor to compete with, price. While we're unsure how well this approach will work with early adopters which generally favor more features instead of less, another potential problem is that other consumer electronics companies might decide to hold off on introducing their own HD-DVD players as they can't compete with Toshiba's pricing. When we asked a Sanyo representative at the show about their plans he told us that they've decided to take a wait-and-see approach before releasing their HD-DVD player. LG basically said the same thing about their plans.
  • Reply 128 of 2106
    Well it looks like The Digital Bits is finally going to post their CES report...

LINK

They also have a Pioneer interview up discussing their choice to go with Blu-Ray.
  • Reply 129 of 2106

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading that interview.

Also wanted to pass this bit of information on for everybody.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060122-6027.html

HD DVD and Blu-ray content to be degraded for analog displays

1/22/2006 3:40:41 PM, by Eric Bangeman

Confirming our earlier reports, some owners of HD television sets will not be able to see HD DVD and Blu-ray programming in its full glory, as the Advanced Access Content System (AACS) used by both next-gen formats has been modified to require picture degredation over analog connections. As a result, the signal sent through analog connections will be constrained to 960x540, rather than the 1920x1080 that both Blu-ray and HD DVD are capable of.

According to the consortium backing AACS, the change is necessary because of?you guessed it?piracy. The fear is that hordes of otherwise law-abiding citizens will take advange of analog video connections to record full-resolution copies of movies from HD DVD and Blu-ray discs and subsequently distribute them via peer-to-peer networks and other nefarious means. To keep that from happening, any video signal that doesn't travel over a protected input (such as HDMI) will be degraded.

The AACS specification will now contain a new digital flag called the Image Constraint Token. At the discretion of the content producer, the ICT can be set to require next-gen optical players to degrade the video over analog connections. If ICT is turned off, then no downsampling will occur.

At 960x540, degraded video will still look better than standard DVDs, which generally are encoded at 720x480. However, owners of analog 720p HD sets (and they are out there) will be getting short shrift, as their TVs are capable of 1280x720 display. AACS is attempting to throw them a bone, as the degraded signal will then be "up converted" to 1280x720. The ultimate result will be a picture that fills the screen, but doesn't give the consumer what he or she paid for in terms of the quality.

Unlike Managed Copy, which is a mandatory part of AACS for both platforms, ICT usage will be left up to the choice of the individual studios. So far, none of them have said they will be requiring its use for their discs. However, Disney, Warner Home Video, Paramount, and NBC Universal are considered likely candidates to require ICT. Consumer electronics manufacturers have been unenthusiastic about supporting ITC, but will have to incorporate it into their players if they want them certified to play next-generation optical disc content.

As Ken wrote last summer, "the revolution will be televised, only it won't be in HD unless your pockets have paid for recent display technology designed with the future in mind." That future, in case you've forgotten, involves the motion picture and music industries being able to exercise maximum control over what you watch, how you watch, and when you watch it. In the past couple of months we've seen legislation introduced to close the so-called "analog hole," resurrect the broadcast flag for television and HD radio, and ultimately limit the functionality of consumer electronics to "customary historic uses." All this is in the guise of fighting piracy and keeping artists from starving. But the truth of the matter is that our "friends" at the RIAA and MPAA want to keep themselves at the helm of the USS Content at all costs, even if it means trampling their customers.
  • Reply 130 of 2106
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

"the revolution will be televised, only it won't be in HD unless your pockets have paid for recent display technology designed with the future in mind."[/I]

When DVDs first came out, region coding was turned on or off via dip switches - hopefully they make the same mistake this time and allow us to change the setting to full HDTV analog out.
  • Reply 131 of 2106
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

At 960x540, degraded video will still look better than standard DVDs, which generally are encoded at 720x480.

What about PAL nations too where it is 720x576. For them there will really be no point to bother.
  • Reply 132 of 2106
    Not bad for new technology!...Blu-ray discs for $30...

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6305651.html
  • Reply 133 of 2106
    Playstation 3 information. Maybe we'll know a lot more later in February...

http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060209a8050.html

Until then, I'll continue to salivate for this cheap Blu-ray player / game console.
  • Reply 134 of 2106
    Cheap? So, what's the price of the PlayStation going to be?
  • Reply 135 of 2106
    Expected retail for PS3 is $399 or $499. By cheap, I mean relative to the other next generation players, Blu-ray or HD-DVD.
  • Reply 136 of 2106
    Quote:

Expected retail for PS3 is $399 or $499. By cheap, I mean relative to the other next generation players, Blu-ray or HD-DVD.

yeh ? and u know this for a fact? let me guess you prob think the ps3 is going to be leaps ahead of the 360? maybe support the highest HDTV resolution possible?

a lot of people are sony virgins.

cant wait for all of your cherrys to be popped.
  • Reply 137 of 2106
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

maybe support the highest HDTV resolution possible?

They have already announced 1080p, so yes.
  • Reply 138 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by e1618978

They have already announced 1080p, so yes.

i'm talking about gaming graphics.
  • Reply 139 of 2106
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elixir

i'm talking about gaming graphics.

Well, from my understanding, I believe the Xbox 360 is only capable of displaying 1080i when it comes to games. PS3 will be 1080P. So, yes, in regards to gaming graphics, PS3 will be more capable than the 360. Moreover, the 360 does not have a HD-DVD drive, the PS3 will have a Blu-Ray drive, yet another leap ahead for the PS3. Couple this with the performance of the Cell processor and you could very well see the system, the PS3, eclipse the Xbox 360 in terms of overall performance/capability. In another couple months, we will shall see.

On another note, it appears AACS has been delayed yet once again; giving the assumed time to market advantage to HD-DVD less clout...

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/69559

Quote:

AACS copy protection for Blu-ray disc and HD DVD delayed again

Last Friday, the meeting of the AACS LA was to resolve the final specifications of the new Advanced Access Content System (AACS). But insiders are reporting that no such agreement was reached. Instead, it is said that an important member of the Blu-ray Disc Association is still voicing concerns about the interaction of AACS and the additional BD+ protection for Blu-ray movies. The next meeting is scheduled for February 23rd and 24th.

Without the AACS specification, the copy protection keys that manufacturers of drives and media need cannot be produced. For instance, manufacturers such as NEC, Pioneer, Samsung, and Toshiba are eagerly awaiting the specifications so they can implement AACS in their equipment.

Hollywood movie studios are insisting that such protection be included in all drives. Without AACS, high-resolution movies can't be played back. A Mandatory Managed Copy (MMC) can, however, be made. Only if the holder of the copyright gives explicit consent may a limited number of copies of the original disc be created; the movie may also not be streamed via a Media Center or to mobile devices without express consent. An online connection is required to check for rights to make a permitted copy. The holder of the copyright may, however, completely rule out copies or demand a fee.

AACS can renew device keys, thereby blocking manipulated drives. BD+ provides additional protection for Blu-ray discs: here, a program in a Java Virtual Machine constantly monitors the movie's data stream and stops playback if there is any manipulation. To prevent the data stream from being grabbed on its path from the player software to the graphics card, Microsoft's Certified Output Protection Protocol (COPP) will monitor the connection. Among other things, COPP is designed to prevent movies from being output to a virtual graphics card that redirects the data into a file. Graphics cards can be upgraded to COPP by means of a driver update; Windows XP supports COPP upwards of Service Pack 2, as will the upcoming Windows Vista.

In turn, HD output is only possible if the graphics card encrypts the digital monitor signal at the DVI output via HDCP or if it has an HDMI output. Likewise, the monitor must support HDCP / HDMI. Without this encryption, the movie will only be played in standard resolutions. The first graphics cards that support HDCP are to hit stores in the 2nd quarter; current models cannot be upgraded because they lack the special BIOS chip required.

Now that the AACS specification has been postponed once again, the sales releases announced for the first Blu-ray burners, HD DVD drives, and stand-alone players at the beginning of March will probably not be possible; we can expect the delay to move the schedule back at least one month. As one Blu-ray manufacturer told heise online, "We need at least two or three weeks to apply for the keys and implement the system."

• Reply 140 of 2106
    Here is some interesting news as well. Moreover, I enjoyed his quote...

?Simply put, HD-DVD is a transitional format. I have met few executives of digital delivery who believe otherwise. They are pilotlessness, leaderlessness and even sloppy when it comes to technological prowess -- plus run on an antiquated business model. Blu-Ray is clearly the future.?

Yikes. Telling it like it is I suppose.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13056

Quote:

DVD Pioneer Hansen to Open First Indie HD Blu-ray Disc Facilities - Disney, WB, Sony, Fox, Philips, Dell, Panasonic, Samsung, More Announce Product

DVD pioneer Erick Hansen, founder and Chairman of Blue Ray Technology, will open the perhaps the first independent Blu-Ray factories to make high definition discs for the next generation of the super quality format.

Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) February 11, 2006 -- DVD pioneer Erick Hansen, founder and Chairman of Blue Ray Technology, will open the perhaps the first independent Blu-Ray factories to make high definition discs for the next generation of the super quality format.

Until now Hi-Def has only been available to cable and dish subscribers due to the huge amounts of memory needed -- and now they will be available on disc for the skyrocketing HD market due to the new generation of hardware and software. Like 8-tracks and cassettes, there is a format war with Blu-Ray and another HD disc format called HD-DVD, but Blu-Ray appears to have a clear advantage.

Movie and TV conglomerates including such key content providers like Sony, Warner Bros., 20th Century Fox, MGM and Disney support the format, according to the Blu-Ray Disc Association, and many of the top hardware manufacturers like Panasonic, Pioneer, Hitachi, JVC, Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Philips, Samsung, Sony and Zenith. Many, such as Dell and HP, believe it will also be the future of computer storage.

?This is a war without a battle. It is like cassette V.S. 8-Track, said Hansen, an important spokesman and source for the new technology. ?Altogether, 160 of the leading movie, game and manufactures are behind Blu-Ray. The main reasons are that Blu-Ray has better quality, anti-piracy, is recordable for private use, and the discs can carry 50 gigabytes of content -- rather than HD-DVDs 30 gigabytes. By contrast, the Blu-ray has about 12 times the memory and picture of a regular DVD has with its old-school 4.7 gigabytes.? With it?s massive storage, Blu-ray also has the potential to carry a dozen DVD-quality movies or thousands of songs like an I-Pod.

Indeed Disney issued a statement concurring it chose the larger capacity of Blu-ray as it could put an HD movie, full interactive games and bonus materials on a single disc. Mr. Hansen has worked with Roy Disney for many years.

?Plus the machines will be compatible with DVD movies so that people will be able to use their collections,? added Hansen. ?And the hardware coming out is amazing. For instance the new Blu-ray camcorders with one 50 gigabytes disc can record whole vacations or baby?s first year.?

Hansen built the first indie DVD plant in Valencia, California and owns several related patents related to DVD and digital delivery systems. His Blu-ray facilities will be open for production in time for the Christmas 2006 buying season. It is highly significant as major studios, which can open their own Blu-ray plants, only make about 25% of the movies released each year and very few of the games. Independents account for most of the titles and would get short shrift asking the majors to make their Blu-ray release dates a priority.

?When I first made DVDs in the 90s, there were practically no that believed DVDs were going to work,? said Hansen. ?I think we were the first indie DVD factory in world.?

As for the rival format, Hansen was equally forthwith. ?Simply put, HD-DVD is a transitional format. I have met few executives of digital delivery who believe otherwise. They are pilotlessness, leaderlessness and even sloppy when it comes to technological prowess -- plus run on an antiquated business model. Blu-Ray is clearly the future.?

Hansen who has worked with the Disney family since DVDs first came into vogue, also noted seven of the eight major movie studios recently announced titles for the Blu-ray launch, including Disney, Fox, Paramount, Warner, Sony, MGM and Lions Gate. The launch line-up will consist of over 100 titles and include recent hits as well as classics such as Batman Begins, Desperado, Fantastic Four, Fifth Element, Hero, Ice Age, Kill Bill, Lethal Weapon, Mission Impossible, Ocean's Twelve, Pirates of the Caribbean, Reservoir Dogs, Robocop, and The Matrix. Many studios have also announced that they will start releasing new feature films on Blu-ray Disc day-and-date with DVD, as well as a continuous slate of catalog titles every month.