Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD (2006)

Comments

• Reply 1541 of 2106
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Are ANY of these friggin' BluRay players less than a GRAND!
  • Reply 1542 of 2106
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northgate

So how come I can't find any of these available to buy right now?

They're selling out?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elixir

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/0,...9284840,00.htm

the PlayStation 3 consumes 380 watts, more than eight times as much power as the PlayStation 2 (45 watts), and more than twice as much power as the Xbox 360 (160 watts).

if sony can keep this console from having heat and noise issues i'll be impressed.

the 360 is a loud and hot mother f**ker

It is already quite well known that the PS3 runs very quiet so I am highly skeptical of such figures. Otherwise Sony has worked a miracle to dissipate more heat with less noise or shown Microsoft's effort at cooling was cheap and nasty.

Quote:

not to mention how freaking long blu-ray is taking to load stuff. for gaming especially, this is going to be a pain in the butt for a lot of people

so much so developers are offering optional 5 GB HDD installation feature that's in place to speed up load times

imagine waiting 10 seconds to flip through a blu-ray movie chapter, or waiting 2x more than the ps2 to load a game.

It has been done to death but the 2x BD Player is faster than the 8x read speed for DVD9 discs of the 360. It even holds a higher average read speed than the 12x max speed of the DVD player. Load speeds are going to be pretty similar on both consoles only with the PS3 you know you have a HDD if you want one so why not give customers more options to speed things up if they want?

I don't mind genuine complaints about the PS3 but oh no developers are letting you install games to get very fast loads is pretty weak.
  • Reply 1543 of 2106
    Who in their right mind is spending A THOUSAND DOLLARS on a Blu Ray player?
  • Reply 1544 of 2106
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:

Are ANY of these friggin' BluRay players less than a GRAND!

Why yes, two of them are less than $1,000. The Philips can be found at Wal Mart and other areas on the Internet for $898 and the Samsung can be found many places for $500 to $600.

Thanks for asking.
  • Reply 1545 of 2106
    Quote:

So how come I can't find any of these available to buy right now?

Because you're not looking in the right places. As George Bush prescribes...use the Google.
  • Reply 1546 of 2106
    Quote:

Psssst. Early adopters....yeah they're not all right in the mind, but they sure are right in the wallet.

Psssst. Here's another piece of advice, you can pick up a PS3 in two weeks for $499 or $599, that is, if you're lucky enough to get your hands on one. See, you can still be in your right mind and get your hands on a Blu-ray player.
  • Reply 1547 of 2106
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Hmm... All those BD players must be collecting dust....or all the BD player owners are using them as upconverting DVD player instead. The bottomline is that HD-DVD movies are selling while the BD-DVD movie sale #'s don't even come close. Actually, most people I know who own BD-players also own HD-DVD Player. Most of them buy HD-DVD movies for neutral release titles, but only buy BD-DVD movies for BD exclusives worth buying. I also have BD Titles I would like to get, but they're less than 5 titles so far. Once Disney/Pixar starts printing BD exclusives would make the list larger, but it seems as many except for Sony will go neutral on the Hi-Def format.
  • Reply 1548 of 2106
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7

'X-Men' to Rally For Blu-ray

http://videostoremag.com/news/html/b...rticle_id=9883

That is a freakin sweet slate of movies on November 14th. It is nice to see they are incorporating H.264/MPEG4 on their releases as well. I'm definitely in line for...

X-Men III

Behind Enemy Lines

Fantastic Four

Kingdom of Heaven

Speed

Transporter

Ohhhh, November is going to be sweet indeed.

besides Speed everything else in that list is pretty much garbage. Especially their flagship Xmen 3, the worse xmen of the three, a disaster to the entire franchise basically.

telomar- how come all i have seen and read is that the ps3 is going to be a slow loader? and yet you're telling me no, please show me otherwise, and not just with your babble.
  • Reply 1549 of 2106
    Quote:

telomar- how come all i have seen and read is that the ps3 is going to be a slow loader? and yet you're telling me no, please show me otherwise, and not just with your babble.

Because you hang around fanboy sites and don't have a technical background? I like that, "it is going to be a slow loader". They are out there now being played and yet loading times aren't getting mentioned because they just aren't that different to what people are accustomed to.

It's very simple. Blu-Ray drives in the PS3 are CLV drives and their read speeds don't vary over the disc. By contrast the DVD drive in the 360 is a CAV drive. On a dual layer disc the read speed for the 360 ranges from 5.4MB/s to 10.8MB/s (it's only 8x read speed for DVD9 discs, which most games are). If it doesn't fill the DL disc it will never even hit the max speed either. By contrast the Blu-Ray drive reads at a constant 9MB/s. For the first 2 thirds of a disc the blu-ray drive reads faster. To ever have any data read faster on the 360's drive the game needs to either by sub 4GB, or in the 6 - 9GB range and actually reading from that range. Most of the big titles are DL and the 4 - 6 GB range isn't that uncommon for many games these days so the reality is the drive will generally be a similar speed, even if you don't factor in the HDD.

If you want to talk annoying load times go play Oblivion on the 360. Now that's some annoying loading screens.

Edit: I love the movie Transporter
  • Reply 1550 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Telomar

Because you hang around fanboy sites and don't have a technical background? I like that, "it is going to be a slow loader". They are out there now being played and yet loading times aren't getting mentioned because they just aren't that different to what people are accustomed to.

It's very simple. Blu-Ray drives in the PS3 are CLV drives and their read speeds don't vary over the disc. By contrast the DVD drive in the 360 is a CAV drive. On a dual layer disc the read speed for the 360 ranges from 5.4MB/s to 10.8MB/s (it's only 8x read speed for DVD9 discs, which most games are). If it doesn't fill the DL disc it will never even hit the max speed either. By contrast the Blu-Ray drive reads at a constant 9MB/s. For the first 2 thirds of a disc the blu-ray drive reads faster. To ever have any data read faster on the 360's drive the game needs to either by sub 4GB, or in the 6 - 9GB range and actually reading from that range. Most of the big titles are DL and the 4 - 6 GB range isn't that uncommon for many games these days so the reality is the drive will generally be a similar speed, even if you don't factor in the HDD.

If you want to talk annoying load times go play Oblivion on the 360. Now that's some annoying loading screens.

Edit: I love the movie Transporter

you're right, i dont have a technical background

but why should i believe otherwise when a majority of sites, including the techno savvy are all saying in game load times of 12-15 seconds? and that those dumps are to reduce them?

are they lying? are the publishers lying?
  • Reply 1551 of 2106
    Quote:

One can ask the same question as to who in their right mind would spend $500 and on up on technology that has competing standards? These are obviously people who have more money than sense, or at least money to burn.
  • Reply 1552 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marzetta7

... if you're lucky enough to get your hands on one...

If you're lucky enough? Someone please give Sony a labotomy.

First they burned with MiniDisc (anyone want a deck and a dozen cartridges?)

Then they burned me with no 24P option on the FX1. (Former VX1000 and VX2000 owner and now a Canon XLH1 owner).

Then they burn me with outrageous DRM management on CDs and proprietary MPS players.

And now they want me to drop a grand on a set top box or wait 'til next March or so for console I'll never use to play games.

Lord.
  • Reply 1553 of 2106
    Since this thread now seems more about gaming machines, here's an article from the Seattle Times.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...17_sony06.html
  • Reply 1554 of 2106
    Microsoft Corp. announced plans Monday to create a digital living room by turning its Xbox video game console into a full-fledged multimedia device so that users can download high-definition movies and television shows.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...11/07/XBOX.TMP
  • Reply 1555 of 2106
    I actually spent some time today speaking to some very senior people with Panasonic and interestingly they don't expect much to be decided with the first generation of players, which shouldn't really surprise anyone. What I did find interesting is they are planning to very aggressively push forward to recorders as they expect them to be seen as far more desirable with consumers and drive sales a lot more. They weren't restricting this to just the living room either but also Blu-Ray camcorders. It was hard to tell the timeline they are aiming at but I got the feeling the feeling they'd like next year for a major push but could see 2008 as a possibility.

On another note they were very blunt and upfront that right now Blu-Ray is much more costly to manufacture than HD-DVD. They expect that margin to drop very rapidly next year but right now they are very aware of the gap and still believe Blu-Ray to be the better choice.
  • Reply 1556 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carson O'Genic

Microsoft Corp. announced plans Monday to create a digital living room by turning its Xbox video game console into a full-fledged multimedia device so that users can download high-definition movies and television shows.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...11/07/XBOX.TMP

well the battle has begun huh.

if they want the xbox 360 to be the center of hte living room they need to start offering HDD"s bigger than 20gb's, cuz that wont cut it.

they should have introduced a 100 HDD by now.
  • Reply 1557 of 2106
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Download times are also going to be onerous. Especially for 1.5Mbps DSL users. 5Mbps cable users will have it a bit easier, but you're still talking about 14 hours for a 20GB download. I recently got upgraded to 10Mbps, but even that's not going to be very fast. Then again, I'm assuming Microsoft will be compressing the hell out of the video to get it more compact. It's not going to be HD-DVD-quality, to coin a term. And all that downloading time to what end? The Xbox has no burner and they won't let you move the content to your PC. So it's download it, watch it, delete it. Typical MS half-baked thinking.
  • Reply 1558 of 2106
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak

Download times are also going to be onerous. Especially for 1.5Mbps DSL users. 5Mbps cable users will have it a bit easier, but you're still talking about 14 hours for a 20GB download.

Netflix will probably be faster than DSL. I send back a movie in the 9 PM mail pickup at the central post office. The next day Netflix emails me that my next movie is on its way, and it arrives in the next morning's mail. That's a 36 hour download for about $1.25 per movie, and Neflix has HD movies, both formats. (Netflix costs me $10 a month and I usually get about 8 movies per month.) Beat that MS!
  • Reply 1559 of 2106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snoopy

Netflix will probably be faster than DSL. I send back a movie in the 9 PM mail pickup at the central post office. The next day Netflix emails me that my next movie is on its way, and it arrives in the next morning's mail. That's a 36 hour download for about $1.25 per movie, and Neflix has HD movies, both formats. (Netflix costs me $10 a month and I usually get about 8 movies per month.) Beat that MS!

netflix is really that good huh? i have blockbuster now and it blows

the only reason i keep it is for the one free rental a week in store

i should prob cancel it.
  • Reply 1560 of 2106
    kukukuku Posts: 254member
    There's a lot of really weird 360 fanboyism here. And I'm not sure how much is anti-sony or just 360=all...

The PS3 is not having negitive press very often. It really depends where you read.

Most bad press are really bad journalism of the modern internet era. That tries to grab hits. Very few bad press are well rounded and unbias. Most of the negative press are /. quotes and surmations + outrageously loud headline.

They are very nortorious for using this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9MMUkklO_s

For instance. The FUD on 380W power supply. My Mac Pro is roughly a GigaWatt max power supply output. This does not mean hot(you do know how quiet Mac pros are) nor is breaking my electric bill.

Max power output of the power supply is just a limit on the power it can pull. It can be using a tenth of that or a hundreth.

It's no surpise it's 8x more then PS2 since, with 4 usb 2.0 ports HDD, alone can technically draw crazy power in this day and age. Not like the old days where you would dare to plug an external drive in a console.

And for those who are more tech scavy, All the article did was went into the offical specs pages and plug line voltage and VAs into a formula. (that's saying your house us being nuked right now cause it can draw X amounts of electricity).

It should be good news that the PS3 has such a large power supply, as it won't choke in the worse conditions. Most likely it's drawing about 120-200 watts of power given what we know of Cell and mobile graphics cards.

There are a bunch of others like this.

Anyway back to PS3 and blu ray.

It's sold out, plain and simple. There will at least be 1million sometime in January when all is said and done. The latest report from Sony saids there may actually be more on launch due to a good news from Asia.

And those that keep pesky about supply problems don't know how to manufacture. It's a component issue. (i.e blue ray laser- you can read the HD DVD and BR forums if you don't believe sony) Not a assembly line issue(of course if PS3 goes in flames like 360s, that's different).

It's bascially like opening a resurant, you Have kitchens, you have cooks, you have waiters, and you have seats and customers.

Even if you have everything, if you don't have enough meat, you're screwed. And no matter how you speed it up. Until the truck with the beef arrives, you can't cook it.

So if you open at 5pm, you have a long line, but by 9 there is no line, because the bottle neck is smoothed over time( people rescheduling, and eaten faster due to hunger, cooks not taking breaks).

Price point wise, We won't know for a good 4 months, because as Japan has showed, all it took was a 1k yen price drop to shift 36% consumer interest to a 88% consumer interest.

And if it's one thing Sony can do it's slash prices and bundle. OMG sony can bundle. They can do it on anything from PSPs to HDTVs to Speakers. They are an electronics Giant. (The'yre bundling a Movie with launch PS3s)

The war isn't won in a day or a battle.

So Bluray is a pretty big hitter VS HD-DVD. All it takes are consumer level Blu-ray burners and blanks, and you have entrench a market lead that will slowly suffocate the comepetitor.

Cause you're cheaper and more accessable. You can guess sony Blu-ray players is going to drop 80% by next year with the amount they're buying.