Moderator Behaviors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 160

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I like this thread. It's cathartic.

Somebody loves to wear the shoe... seems to fit perfectly, doesn't it?  image

• Reply 22 of 160
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    On-topic:
    Would it be a good idea to delete posts (in threads, not specifically here) from people who have been banned?

Off-topic:
    Which to choose: Dictionary, Thesaurus or Wikipedia:
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/19692/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 23 of 160

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

On-topic:

Would it be a good idea to delete posts (in threads, not specifically here) from people who have been banned?

It has always been policy that if we catch them early enough, we just wipe everything. Like if it's someone who came here just to hate everything Apple, or it's someone previously banned who has made a new account… to hate everything Apple.

But once they get a lot of posts, the probability that someone has quoted one of their posts increases greatly. When we do a one-click content wipe, it wipes all the content, but it leaves the quotes in others' posts. This wouldn't be a problem, except it doesn't give a clean break from the user's standpoint. The little link in every quote (this thing):

still points to the post in question. When you click it, the URL looks correct, but instead of jumping to the right post, it just stays at the top of the page.

The best solution I can think of for improving how that is handled is either a modal popup before the load or an added banner  after the load that tells the person browsing about the situation. So say I've clicked one of those and the post is gone. If it's on the same page, this pops up:

And if it's on an earlier page, the site reloads, jumps you to the top of the page, and this shows up:

But since that doesn't happen, it becomes a fair bit of work to remove all the broken links. So while we'd probably like to delete many posts from banned users, it's just not realistic right now. 

Also, I didn't know the definition that Wikipedia uses. That's… some nice humor there.

• Reply 24 of 160
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    ^

Even though Huddler Tech's tech outperforms vBulletin on many issues, this still leaves a bit to be desired. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually think Lotus Notes might have an even better solution. Don't even know if you could design a blog interface, but I do remember the options are pretty much endless. Oh, and cheap (and it shows). Anyhow, must be hard work this Mod/Admin, can't imagine you'd have a regular job next to this as well.
    Also, I didn't know the definition that Wikipedia uses. That's… some nice humor there.

I Cmd-Ctrl-D a lot, as English is not my native language and I always learn something. I like Wiki...for what it is.

Have a great weekend TS!
  • Reply 25 of 160
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Just the latest proof that a certain mod is out of control. I was called a troll for expressing an opinion and then a liar. How many mods are active on AI besides Marvin and TS? Those are really the only two I ever see. I have no complaints about Marvin and think he does a great job and is respectful. 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/155871/rumor-apple-planning-iphone-5s-and-new-5-inch-iphone-6-for-2013/40

• Reply 26 of 160

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

How many mods are active on AI besides Marvin and TS? Those are really the only two I ever see.

Myself, Marvin, JeffDM, melgross, and occasionally hmurchison.

I'm sorry that you misremembered that thread, but hopefully posting here will cool your jets.

• Reply 27 of 160
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Just the latest proof that a certain mod is out of control. I was called a troll for expressing an opinion and then a liar. How many mods are active on AI besides Marvin and TS? Those are really the only two I ever see. I have no complaints about Marvin and think he does a great job and is respectful. 

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/155871/rumor-apple-planning-iphone-5s-and-new-5-inch-iphone-6-for-2013/40

I don't like to see name-calling either, and personally think it's particularly egregious if coming from a moderator. Certainly not a sign of having a well-reasoned  opinion in my view but it is what it is.  This is AI's playground and whatever rules they wish to make and/or enforce is theirs to decide.

• Reply 28 of 160

Quote:

Myself, Marvin, JeffDM, melgross, and occasionally hmurchison.

I'm sorry that you misremembered that thread, but hopefully posting here will cool your jets.

Since I can't block you like I can with Soli, how about we just avoid each other. Stop attacking me or quoting me and I will do the same. I have been a member here since 2007 and really used to enjoy discussing topics and expressing my opinion. It would be nice to enjoy visiting this site again without your constant barbs. I think we both have a pretty clear opinion of each other by now and no future discussions will have any value. But you really do run off a lot of people to other sites and if you actually care about AI you need to tone down your attacks. I have had discussion with Tea Party activist that were more respectful and willing to compromise on points than you. Your vision of Apple and their products is just that, your opinion. It is not better or more valid because it is yours. Respect the fact other Apple fans can support the company but have differing views. I have been using Apple gear since my first Apple II back in 1980 so I think I have earned a place at this table. 

And no I don't misremember anything. People can click the link and see for themselves. I made no reference to you at all in my first post and you quoted me and called me a troll. You then called me a troll again and said "everyone" feels that way even though the only two people I have ever had a heated exchange with are you and Soli. Far more people seemed to take my side in fact. You then called me a liar because I said you don't have an iPhone not counting that iPhone 1 dinosaur that is useless for pretty much anything now besides being used as an iPod. I asked you to correct me if I was wrong and asked you what phone you currently have along with your carrier and you chose to ignore my question. So again I ask you what phone and carrier do you have since you called me a liar.

• Reply 29 of 160

And no I don't misremember anything. 

Sorry, out of context. "That thread" referred to the Straight Talk one, not the one you linked. The misunderstanding here is wholly my fault.

• Reply 30 of 160

Quote:

Sorry, out of context. "That thread" referred to the Straight Talk one, not the one you linked. The misunderstanding here is wholly my fault.

Fair enough, but are you finally ready to admit that not all straightalk customers get unlimited data? You went out on quite a ledge by taking the word of one single random guy that made that claim. Straightalk is an MVNO for all the big 4 carriers. It is possible that the ones used on Sprint are truly unlimited, but certainly not AT&T or Verizon, and T-Mobile more than likely would throttle after a set limit. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Walmart-Straight-Talk-Not-Unlimited,20508.html

• Reply 31 of 160

Fair enough, but are you finally ready to admit that not all straightalk customers get unlimited data? You went out on quite a ledge by taking the word of one single random guy that made that claim. Straightalk is an MVNO for all the big 4 carriers. It is possible that the ones used on Sprint are truly unlimited, but certainly not AT&T or Verizon, and T-Mobile more than likely would throttle after a set limit. 

I'll go out on a limb and say they're selling data as unlimited. If they don't supply that, a class-action is in order.

• Reply 32 of 160

Quote:

I'll go out on a limb and say they're selling data as unlimited. If they don't supply that, a class-action is in order.

I have been looking for a good pre-paid plan for a friend of mine and his family looking to save money but still get a fair amount of data. 4 of them in total who all want smartphones. He is not very tech or phone plan savvy so he asked me to do some research. 

Here is the real rub about straight talk which I can no longer recommend for him since all of them want to use streaming music and video. It is section 6 in their terms.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/be-careful-with-mvno-plans-their-unlimited-plans-are-limited-too/7513

"6. STRAIGHT TALK UNLIMITED TALK, TEXT AND MOBILE WEB ACCESS PLAN INTENDED USE: Straight Talk Unlimited Talk, Text and Mobile Web Access Plans may ONLY be used with a Straight Talk handset for the following purposes: (i) Person to Person Voice Calls (ii) Text and Picture Messaging (iii) Internet browsing through the Straight Talk Mobile Web Service and (iv) Authorized Content Downloads from the Straight Talk Mobile Web Store."

That seems very plain about what is allowed, which isn't much. It means NO video calling, NO Youtube video viewing, NO downloading or streaming songs, movies or books from Google or Amazon since they are not the "Straight Talk Mobile Web Store". The fact that it plainly says "ONLY', means just that. Doesn't leave a lot of room for interpretation. I think this was a case of hoping they didn't really mean what they said."

• Reply 33 of 160

Quote:

I like this thread. It's cathartic.

TS, you should consider stepping down. You know very well we have had an issue with your behaviour as a mod. In case your memory is failing it was about the fact that you publicly claimed that (1) my email address is a fake and (2) that I had been banned from the forums before and logged on under another name, both of which are completely untrue. HOWEVER, you were abusing your role as a Moderator in this case, since you, as a moderator have access to information that a normal user does not, and therefore your action was a particularly obnoxious misuse of your privileges, since I could not defend myself by other means than revealing my personal email address.

Despite my requests that you TEST the email address, you never made ANY attempt to do so, blaming instead the software.

You also have NEVER retracted the false accusation nor have you apologized. Both of which one would expect from a moderator with integrity.

This is just ONE of a series of abuses of your role. You should resign.

• Reply 34 of 160

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

Despite my requests that you TEST the email address, you never made ANY attempt to do so

This is false.

...blaming instead the software.

Used for testing. Which I no longer use, as a result.

• Reply 35 of 160
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

today 2 of my posts have been deleted...no reason was given as to why they were deleted. Can a moderator (other than Tallest Skil) review my deleted posts and tell me why they were deleted?

I do not feel they violated any forums rules. Are there any rules for notification when posts are deleted? Can a moderator just delete a post and not notify the original poster as to why?

• Reply 36 of 160

Moderators....why would a post get deleted for this?

Tallest Skill wrote:

Okay. This'll be fun. This is the part of your post that made me delete it:

EVERYONE knows there is NO negative press at Apple.......you know it too! So if there is soooo much negativity about Apple....it really hurts their bottom line huh? they are really hurting to make money huh? can you address that? they are the most highly profitable companies in the world selling products amid all that negativity huh? Yeah right! If Apple has all this negative press show me some!

• Reply 37 of 160
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    geekdad wrote: »
    Moderators....why would a post get deleted for this?
    Tallest Skill wrote:
    Okay. This'll be fun. This is the part of your post that made me delete it:

um, Geekdad it was deleted because it is "noise"... Too many rhetorical questions... Which would require way too much effort to disapprove something that you'll just say "yeah so"...
    Honestly do believe Apple doesn't get any negative press? do you remember the introduction of the iPad? and the amazing amount of teasing Apple had on the iPad...?...
    How about all the people that said the iPhone was a bad idea!...
    and how Apple was such a minor company they couldn't do anything, to come up with a better phone...

TL;DR... Like it or not "Apple insider" is about love of Apple products not hate of Apple products... and BTW IMO "Tallest Skil" Did you a favor by deleting those posts...
  • Reply 38 of 160

first thing...i did not post anything negative about...look at my forum history.....second this is abuse of power....wait til it happens to you....

• Reply 39 of 160

Today I have had several of my posts deleted by TS even though they didn't not break any rules. They were not attacks just comments he disagreed with. To all the other moderators here besides Tallest Skill, please do something about him. The best solution would be to remove him as a moderator completely or at least just limit his role to removing spam messages and not actual posts. He is without a doubt the most abusive moderator on any forum I have ever visited. 

• Reply 40 of 160
    Also had one of my posts about OLED / LCD / task switching rejected while someone else's post after mine was approved in the same thread. My post was perfectly on topic and addressed both of the subjects debated in the thread directly, yet it got rejected.