Review: macOS Catalina 10.15 is what Apple promised the Mac could be, and is a crucial upg...

Comments

• Reply 101 of 168

ylon said:
    sflocal said:
    ylon said:
    This article disturbs me greatly. I've felt that AppleInsider is just not leveling with its readers for the last several years now. It has some fun and feel good articles, but this stuff about Catalina is a load of bullcrap. This OS release is the next solid step to the end of Apple and no one has the courage to stand up and talk about this. Do you realize how many of us our MOURNING this release of the OS and are carefully looking at Linux options at the moment (I know several colleagues who've actually "switched" again now). 

Now granted, Linux can't fit the bill for any of us who need to do anything more than certain dedicated tasks that it's good at, but frankly the core OS has been suffering in macOS for many years now (and this is coming from both Apple engineers themselves and others who do low level system development).

Apple is prepping us for a complete lockdown and I'll be darned if you find me fighting to jailbreak my workstation. I need low level kexts, I need better debugging facilities, I need kernel access and I frankly need to retain 32bit functionality. There's no actual reason to switch to 64bit fully from a technical standpoint (it's actually more optimized and efficient when you use 32bit apps. Period.). I can elucidate a lot more on these points, but to see Catalina spoken of so highly has completely obliterated my belief that AppleInsider can become anything more than lipstick for Apple now.
    Great... another one of these whackjobs.

Your manifesto disturbs me (us) greatly.  How many people in the past couple decades have preached Linux eventually replacing the conventional Windows desktop?  I lost count.  Do you know?  I use Linux, even have Ubuntu as a VM on my Mac.  While it's fine for the server, it's complete crap for the desktop and has never been prime-time for the majority of computer users.  It's a curiosity at best for many and it has way too many usability problems that most non-tech people will never figure out.  Give it a rest.  That horse got beaten way too long ago.

Please.. PLEASE get off your Apple-is-doomed soapbox and ride into the Linux sunset.  I promise you... we won't hope you'd look back.  Hurry... the sun sets in a few more hours.  

Jeez... 
    As I've said before to another like you, you're completely oblivious to reality.

The dream that is Linux. Free is not free.

Inexpensive, unpatched [Linux] phones put billions of users’ privacy at risk

Billions who only connect with cheap Android phones pay with their personal info.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/10/inexpensive-unpatched-phones-put-billions-of-users-privacy-at-risk/

edited October 2019 cat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 102 of 168
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    tyler82 said:
    I'm pissed that Apple broke Reminders when I updated to iOS 13 and I can no longer sync my reminders with Mac OS Mojave. If I knew that would happen I would have never upgraded my reminders app (can't downgrade it), since I will not be upgrading to Catalina for a while until developers update the apps I use to 64-bit.
    Another example of Apple taketh away (can't wait to hear the triggered fanboi responses)
    I think you meant: "I'm pissed that I ignored the full screen warning that I'd need to upgrade all my devices, even listing them by their names, in order to sync the new Reminders format and that I should hit the Upgrade Later button if that was going to be a problem".
    SoliStrangeDaysappleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 103 of 168
    I all honesty, the biggest selling point for me is the increased security. Was that mentioned in the article? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 104 of 168
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    ylon said:

ylon said:
    This article disturbs me greatly. I've felt that AppleInsider is just not leveling with its readers for the last several years now. It has some fun and feel good articles, but this stuff about Catalina is a load of bullcrap. This OS release is the next solid step to the end of Apple and no one has the courage to stand up and talk about this. Do you realize how many of us our MOURNING this release of the OS and are carefully looking at Linux options at the moment (I know several colleagues who've actually "switched" again now). 

Now granted, Linux can't fit the bill for any of us who need to do anything more than certain dedicated tasks that it's good at, but frankly the core OS has been suffering in macOS for many years now (and this is coming from both Apple engineers themselves and others who do low level system development).

Apple is prepping us for a complete lockdown and I'll be darned if you find me fighting to jailbreak my workstation. I need low level kexts, I need better debugging facilities, I need kernel access and I frankly need to retain 32bit functionality. There's no actual reason to switch to 64bit fully from a technical standpoint (it's actually more optimized and efficient when you use 32bit apps. Period.). I can elucidate a lot more on these points, but to see Catalina spoken of so highly has completely obliterated my belief that AppleInsider can become anything more than lipstick for Apple now.
    Put down the crack pipe. This isn’t the DOOM of Apple, and if you had bothered to watch the WWDC keynote and state of the union, you’d know that. The future of app development on macOS is very bright. 

But by all means, switch to the land of paradise known as Linux. But to answer your question, not many are mourning macOS. You’re just being dramatic because you fear change. 
    You're completely oblivious to reality.
    I’ll conclude from your vapid response that you’re out of supposed reasoned arguments and are now relying entirely upon an emotional argument. “But I don’t like change!” Carry on. 
    edited October 2019 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 105 of 168
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    ylon said:

Of course, every update is always the next step to Apple's doom.

You literally sounds fucking insane. Well done. 

Why do you require low level kexts?
    Apple has a ridiculous amount of developer relations, not to mention developing on Macs themselves. Something tells me you have no fucking idea what you're talking about in terms of the big picture, and very few developers actually share your concerns.

Yep, I'm sure that developers are moving to Linux en masse. Any day now, the migration will begin. Yep. Why are your supposed colleagues looking at options NOW, when the developer beta has been available since JUNE?  

I remember this shit being repeated by trolls over and over with every single macOS release. Sierra, High Sierra, Yosemite, Mojave, etc. Somehow all disasters. And yet, the Mac platform has only gotten stronger. Funny, that. 

Your post is absolutely laughable. I have no idea what you "develop", but typically developers who are obsessed with deprecated technology and refuse to adapt, aren't usually successful for very long. Maybe you should consider your own failings, instead of imagining Apple's failings. Yes, Catalina has increased security (just like every single update) and deprecates 32bit apps, which we've known for YEARS it would do. The fact that you state that this will lead to the end of Apple makes you sound like an absolute lunatic. I can't imagine how loaded with ancient cruft Apple's operating systems would be, if chronic whiners like you had their way. 

edited October 2019 fastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 106 of 168
    Apple is DOOMED! DOOMED! Did I say DOOMED?

So fuck you little tolls.  :D
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 107 of 168
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Wgkrueger said:
    Well crap. The Scansnap scanning software requires full disk access to run. Jerks.
    That sucks. But you can use Preview, it's great at scanning!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 108 of 168
    ednl said:
    Not all 32-bit software is ancient. I use Lightroom 6 standalone and have no alternative lined up yet, certainly not the subscription.
    checkout "darktable". https://www.darktable.org/

Its a good time to say good bye to the current line up of overpriced Apple Garbage.

• Reply 109 of 168
    dewme said:
    Wow, I’ve been eager to see some in-depth articles that give a hands-on review of the major new features in Catalina. This article is extremely comprehensive and leaves no nuance, no matter how subtle, undiscovered. What I generally do with these full figured articles is to create a PDF of the article from Reader View in Safari and save it in iBooks as a book. I may not read it entirely from within the Apple Insider forum but I will eventually read it all as a book because I appreciate the time, effort, and commitment that went into creating it. It may be a bit heavy compared to the average article size we’re used to seeing on AI, but it’s still very relevant, well written, and informative even if it has to be consumed in bite sized chunks. Thank you DED.
    What a great suggestion!
    Dan_Dilgerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 110 of 168
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    ednl said:
    Not all 32-bit software is ancient. I use Lightroom 6 standalone and have no alternative lined up yet, certainly not the subscription.
    checkout "darktable". https://www.darktable.org/

Its a good time to say good bye to the current line up of overpriced Apple Garbage.

RawTherapee is far superior.

And it has a clean 64 bit OS X build.

freethinkingStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 111 of 168
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    dewme said:
    Wow, I’ve been eager to see some in-depth articles that give a hands-on review of the major new features in Catalina. This article is extremely comprehensive and leaves no nuance, no matter how subtle, undiscovered. What I generally do with these full figured articles is to create a PDF of the article from Reader View in Safari and save it in iBooks as a book. I may not read it entirely from within the Apple Insider forum but I will eventually read it all as a book because I appreciate the time, effort, and commitment that went into creating it. It may be a bit heavy compared to the average article size we’re used to seeing on AI, but it’s still very relevant, well written, and informative even if it has to be consumed in bite sized chunks. Thank you DED.
    Cicero already shouted 2000 years ago in the Roman senate:  "Quousque tandem Catalina abutere patentia nostra?" or "How long, Catalina, will you abuse our patience?"  That man had a great insight  :) 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 112 of 168
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    ...they’ve deprecated and announced the planned end of life for 32-bit apps years ago, and yet people are still gonna get butthurt and whine about it when it finally happens.
    There's a lot of legacy apps that are not being developed anymore because there's no money in rewriting and recompiling them, but they might still be very useful, or in some cases crucial. There will be no official way to run these apps on modern computers, and it's frustrating for people relying on these app. Whining is legit. I love looking forward and adopting new standards. I have one really great synthesizer that is relying on legacy software though. It really hurts that the developer probably isn't gonna update the software, because it's 10 years old or so. Do we need to run a virtual Mac in Parallels or something to get 32-bit stuff to work?
  • Reply 113 of 168
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    MacPro said:
    crowley said:
    Not sure which part was supposed to be crucial?

I may install it on a partition when I have some time to kill, but ditching 32-bit apps... that's a tough pill to build up to, it'll take a while.
    Just make a VM of your Mojave boot drive on a fast external (I use a RAID 0 set up), then upgrade the boot drive.  Now you have both.  Tip, make a CCC of boot drive to an SSD and use that with Migration assistant in the VM.  Took me about an hour.
    Why would I take on the expense and untideness of an external drive with Mojave in a VM instead of just using a partition?  

Also, the featureset of Catalina isn't exactly inspiring, so I'll figure something out when I can be bothered, with no urgency at all since Mojave works well for me.
    baconstang
  • Reply 114 of 168
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Not sure which part was supposed to be crucial?

I may install it on a partition when I have some time to kill, but ditching 32-bit apps... that's a tough pill to build up to, it'll take a while.
    What 32 bit apps do you use? 
    Games mainly, most of which will never be updated https://www.macgamerhq.com/opinion/32-bit-mac-games/
    OK so what? Make a 1 TB external boot disk with Mojave and move all your games on it.
    So what?  Dan asked me so what.  I don't want to do your solution so what.  So what off.
  • Reply 115 of 168
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    All Catalina does is take things away. It is also about as polished as a rock quarry.

After 15 years of downloading things in Safari, you now get the "feature" of having to approve access to your Downloads folder, manually, for every single website.

You also now "get to" approve access to every single directory any app might request access to. That will go over real well. Since users have no idea why an App needs access to what it needs to access to, users will deny it, and the app will not function. Real smart Apple.

I guess Apple really wants developers to move to web apps. They are much more attractive these days than making native Mac apps. Much, much more.
    That's not accurate. Catalina ads a wide range of useful new features, and even the primary thing "being taken away," 32 bit app support, also brings advantages from thinning out all the 32 bit frameworks and other code that most users have zero need for.

Given that you can continue to run 32 bit apps on your hardware in Mojave, it's hard to understand what you're upset about. It's a free OS update, it's not mandatory, it's reversible, and you can non-exclusively update while still maintaining a Mojave boot alternative. What has you so upset about it? Sounds like manufactured outrage.
    Are we going to get a new Apple TV unit?   new Remote? new controller like you wrote?    Apple Arcade is out.   Guess I can wait till the Mac event.
  • Reply 116 of 168
    MacPro said:
    cornchip said:

dougd said:
    I wouldn't touch it for at least six months after the disastrous IOS 13 rollout
    Dougd doesn’t like it!

Dont know what I’m doing wrong, but I’ve encountered zero disaster here. Can you clarify further about how you’ve been victimized by Apple? What are the real-world limitations you’ve experienced as part of the “disaster” on your end? Inquiring minds want to know. 
    Seriously. iOS 13 is chock full of really nice little details & upgrades with virtually zero bugs...

DISASTER!!! 
    I beg to disagree. Yes, there are some nice improvements (e.g., Dark Mode), but a vast majority of the changes are cosmetic vis-a-vis the UI. Some are even annoying: for example, the automatic highlighting of a word when the finger is on it (when the goal is to try and move the cursor to edit -- although, there is a simple workaround, see here).

Also, it's well-documented that both 13 and 13.1.1 had major bugs. Pretty much every reviewer suggested waiting. I'll say, however that 13.1.2 has been bug-free.
    The deep changes are security-oriented I suspect.
    That is certainly important and necessary. But I am not a fan of the incessant cosmetic changes that are sprinkled throughout. 

Btw, did the main font change too?
  • Reply 117 of 168
    k2kw said: Are we going to get a new Apple TV unit?   new Remote? new controller like you wrote?    Apple Arcade is out.   Guess I can wait till the Mac event.
    I'm interested to see if new ATV hardware will be announced. However, the performance that I'm getting in 3D games with Apple Arcade and an A9X SoC makes me less concerned that there actually needs to be an update from the A10X ATV this year.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 118 of 168
    nicholfdnicholfd Posts: 824member
    I have a Logitech M525 wireless mouse, which no longer works with Catalina.  I updated all of the latest firmware and software, but their support page says that they are working on updates for Catalina so I guess that I'm stuck with my MacBook Pro's trackpad until then.
    You do realize that you can use any mouse with any version of macOS, without any software?  Logitech's software for their keyboards/mice have always been dodgy on macOS.  You may not be able to use some of their "fancy" features, but all the buttons always work, and it still works as a mouse.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 119 of 168
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Hey if any of you have a screen where your App Store Updates say:  "No Updates", and you know that's a lie, here are the Apps that got updated in last 2-3 days incase you didn't update before Catalina...

Logic X
    Xcode 11.1
    Final Cut Pro 10.4.7
    iMovie
    Compressor
    Motion
    GarageBand
    Apple Remote Desktop
    iWork if you already haven't

You got to goto the info page of each app and individually click update... then you'll be back on track...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 120 of 168
    wallymwallym Posts: 33member
    After updating, several of my third party development tools and programs no longer work.  These aren't 32 bit programs, but 64 bit apps.  Does Apple even test things?
    edited October 2019