Reactions?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 189
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Anyone mention 5.1 support now? You can get 5.1 speaker systems when you order the g5
  • Reply 62 of 189
    Quote:

TROUNCES IT IN SPEC!!!

Here are all the spec scores for many platforms: http://www.spec.org/cpu2000/results/cpu2000.html

Dell PowerEdge 2650 (3.06 GHz Xeon) 1014 1056

Very different from the numbers Apple gave during the Keynote. Hmm.

The 1.8 AMD opteron got this 1060 1100
  • Reply 63 of 189
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Just love the inside of this thing.

can you trim it down just a tad? or make a link? it's throwing my browser outta whack (and i'm on 1024x768)
  • Reply 64 of 189
    johnsonwaxjohnsonwax Posts: 462member
    Interesting, the machines have a port for an Airport Extreme antenna and a Bluetooth antenna.

An aluminum case is a big faraday cage - no signals inside to speak of. I wonder if Apple will produce these. I don't know where to get a bluetooth antenna...
  • Reply 65 of 189
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Wow! Wow! I don't need it, but I want it.

I am concerned about the fans though. I read 9 on some other site. Is this true?
  • Reply 66 of 189
    james808james808 Posts: 73member
    My reaction:one of the best days in Apple's history. The G5 systems are simply awesome, and Panther looks like OS X is past the "engineering/debugging" stage and moving into new, very exciting territory. Can you imagine how awesome OS X will be by the time Longhorn (aka "Windows Jaguar") comes out in 2005?

Rotating 3D desktop, cool, very cool
  • Reply 67 of 189
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Where's junkyard dawg? Heh, he ,he.
  • Reply 68 of 189
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

lemon.

what are the fastest pc quake frame rates?.

275 for the 3 Gig Dell!

337 for the G5. Not bad considering most games are prob' PC biased/optimised.

Wait until they start optimising for the G5! With proper dual code!

OVER 60 frames faster.

THAT REALLY IS IMPRESSIVE.

When you consider the constant vying with Intel/Amd...a frame here...a frame there...leaping into the lead with a mere 5-10 frames.

60 frames?

That IS impressive.

Intel aint going to be shipping anything that can make up 60 frames in the next year to my mind...

By then, a 3 gig 970(*?) will kick the snot out of whatever they come up with.

THIS AINT MOTO. THIS IS IBM!

Excelsior!!!

Games. 3D. Photoshop. Workstation. Name yer App. Audio?

We OWNS YA! YA HERE ME DELL DUDE!? WHOOP YER ASS.

IT TOOK FOUR YEARS>.>BUT WE PUT YER FAT ASS ON THE CANVASS!?!?

GET UP! C'MON!!! GET! THE! F*CK! UP!! C'MON!!!! SO WE CAN KNOCK YER DOWN AGAIN!!!

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 69 of 189
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Galen

Does the 1.6 remind anyone else of the yikes? I may be wrong but that's what it seems like

Only 1 memory bus and no PCI-X controller.

Disgusting at $2000

I aggree with johnsonwax the new machines must be very expensive to produce.

I'll wait for revision B and will then choose the lowest priced part with 2 CPUs (in all probability the most expensive model, damn )
  • Reply 70 of 189
    yzedfyzedf Posts: 24member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

TROUNCES IT IN SPEC!!!

WOW! REAMIN'! REAMIN'!!!

HOSING.

WE'RE TALKING THE HOSING OF THE CENTURY FOR THE PENTIUM 4!!!

Did you get that from the video?

IBM and Apple are commited to KEEPING Apple at the top!

Way to go!!!

WAY TO GO!!!

THEY'RE ALREADY ON THE NEXT GEN'!!!

Buy now or then, folks. Cause...you're still going to kick Pentium/Xeon whatever arse!

PC WEENIES....C'MON! C'MON!!! WHO'S THE DADDY! WHOOOOP ASSSSS!

Picks baseball bat...c'mon....dons red head band...

You wanna piece of me? C'mon, Dell...who's yer daddy!?? Huh...you talkin' t' me? HUH? HUH?!?!?

Lemon Bon Bon

And suddenly I remember why I am so derided by my PC-centric friends
  • Reply 71 of 189
    johnsonwaxjohnsonwax Posts: 462member
    Quote:

Originally posted by msantti

Man, that's one expensive case to manufacture... Pretty, indeed.
  • Reply 72 of 189
    Apple got a little creative with their specs didn't they. I think the numbers they report are using gcc on all machines. Not intel's in house compiler, which many claim to be optimized only for spec. Not sure how fair it is to call this the fastest personal computer. Back up to parity though. If it scales fast then we are good for the next 12 months at least.
  • Reply 73 of 189
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    My guess is that new displays are on hold for a rebuild that will integrate an iSight camera into the frame.
  • Reply 74 of 189
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gafferino

Apple got a little creative with their specs didn't they. I think the numbers they report are using gcc on all machines. Not intel's in house compiler, which many claim to be optimized only for spec. Not sure how fair it is to call this the fastest personal computer. Back up to parity though. If it scales fast then we are good for the next 12 months at least.

Why is that creative? They are using a real app that developers actually use.
  • Reply 75 of 189
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Just wait til the 3Ghz beasts show up!!! It'll be a total coup.
  • Reply 76 of 189
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

On some it's up to 6 times faster, dual for dual!!!

The Adobe guy said that for Photoshop "it's twice as fast as anything we've seen before on the Macintosh", ie the dual 2.0 is twice as fast as the dual 1.4 - is that a real achievement?
  • Reply 77 of 189
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by smalM

Only 1 memory bus and no PCI-X controller.

Disgusting at $2000

I aggree with johnsonwax the new machines must be very expensive to produce.

I'll wait for revision B and will then choose the lowest priced part with 2 CPUs (in all probability the most expensive model, damn )

you are right the 1,6 ghz is not interesting the 1,8 is a better buy : twice the memory at 400 mhz nor 333 mhz a hd of 160 GB instead 80 GB, PCI-X instead PCI and 8 ram slot instead 4. Add 200 more mhz and you will know why i will not buy the 1,6 ghz .

BTW the dual 2 ghz is curiously the best buy. Curiously because in general the performance price ratio is not good in the high end configurations.
  • Reply 78 of 189
    isegwayisegway Posts: 133member
    Quote:

I agree with you. I am takin all the panels off this thing when I get it and the ones that won't come off are getting a custom paint job. This things functional balanced insides are a work of art. Too bad Ive crapped all over it.

Maybe some clear type of glass panels would be sweet too. :P
  • Reply 79 of 189
    b8rtm8nnb8rtm8nn Posts: 55member
    I watched it on satellite so:

1. Regarding SPECS, they used gcc compiler since it is open and for all paltforms. They had VeriTest do it (not done by Apple). They came up slower in the SPECInt and slightly faster in SPECfp with single processor. All good tests, the duals and actual apps are where they killed.

2. The case is aluminum, the fans are individually controlled, under normal usage at room temperature it generates 35db (compared to ~ 70 for current G4) - this case alone will probably keep the cost higher than El Capitan machines.

3. They designed EVERYTHING around the G5, so they basically ran out of room for the second CD and additional HDDs, but you have Firewire 800 so who cares.

4. Panther is really diving into the Unix end a bit, freeBSD5, gcc3.3, X11 built-in. Better integration for Windows with the Samba and AD integration - I believe a more serious push for IT back end is really going to occur, can't wait to see the server (not mentioned)

5. The bake-offs were impressive, against Xeons no less. To be fair, the Xeon had an ATA drive and not a SCSI, but the machine cost over $4000 to build compared to the $3000 G5. And since we use Xeons, this was much closer to the truth in comparing machines than picking some P4 Dimension.
  • Reply 80 of 189
    maxcom29maxcom29 Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Panther: Oh HECK Yeah.

Xcode: Humina humina humina

iSight: I foresee many lawsuits for aiding and abetting voyeur webcams

G5: Performance is unreal... the pricing is consistent with that, for better or worse. NOT a consumer tower, NOT a prosumer tower, this is a PRO WORKSTATION. Period. When it keeps up with and kicks a dual Xeon top of the line? I think Apple just got handed the Unix workstation market. Not a market share expander... not supposed to be. Note lack of game demos.

Sorry this is not a workstation. A workstation by the casual definition includes guaranteed performance,s tability, and compatibility with pro applications and drivers. Also, special support from the seller is almost often included.

Lastly, those graphic cards and their complimentary drivers are not certified and would never be found/used in a "true" workstation.