Reactions?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 189
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Hehe! Because of the low USD value the new Dual 2.0GHz PMG5 is actually cheaper here in Denmark than the Dual 1.42GHz PMG4 was (4%).
  • Reply 82 of 189
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

The Adobe guy said that for Photoshop "it's twice as fast as anything we've seen before on the Macintosh", ie the dual 2.0 is twice as fast as the dual 1.4 - is that a real achievement?

As usual that says a lot more about Adobe's code than Apple's machines
  • Reply 83 of 189
    moazammoazam Posts: 136member
    Quote:

Originally posted by maxcom29

Sorry this is not a workstation. A workstation by the casual definition includes guaranteed performance,s tability, and compatibility with pro applications and drivers. Also, special support from the seller is almost often included.

Lastly, those graphic cards and their complimentary drivers are not certified and would never be found/used in a "true" workstation.

Uhh. No. That *IS* a workstation. That is a workstation that kicks the snot out of the "Big Co." workstations out there. There are a shitload of people at SGI/Sun saying "Wow, I want THAT!".

-M
  • Reply 84 of 189
    sybariticsybaritic Posts: 340member
    Kick ass. Dawg, come out and bark. Video boys and girls, you have a future on this platform. Investors, buy. The stock will have a healthy and steady ascent.

Is Apple the Sony of the USA? Different. Just as international in the days ahead. Thanks, IBM. Thanks, Cupertino. The Apple faithful have waited. Salad days are back and beyond. Way beyond.

-----------------------------------------------

Giddy in Nashville
  • Reply 85 of 189
    photoguyphotoguy Posts: 10member
    Eat my shorts PC guys!
  • Reply 86 of 189
    bjnybjny Posts: 191member
    Has anyone looked into what 512MB and 1GB sticks of memory cost for the new G5's?
  • Reply 87 of 189
    maxcom29maxcom29 Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJNY

Has anyone looked into what 512MB and 1GB sticks of memory cost for the new G5's?

Better to go with the 512MB sticks which are around 80$, (referring to DDR 3200). Of course, if corsair is supported it gets a bit more expensive.

The IGB sticks are over three hundred as far as I can recall.
  • Reply 88 of 189
    Quote:

Originally posted by moazam

Uhh. No. That *IS* a workstation. That is a workstation that kicks the snot out of the "Big Co." workstations out there. There are a shitload of people at SGI/Sun saying "Wow, I want THAT!".

-M

Dude a workstation isn't just a fast machine it includes certain high level support from the seller, a guarantee to run certain apps without crashing and data loss due to software probs. This stuff costs extra, and makes workstations so much more expensive.

For example, Quadros from nVidia ship with many workstations even though they may offer the exact same performance and chip as a reg., cheaper, consumer Geforce, but in return it's drivers are more thoroughly tested and configured.
  • Reply 89 of 189
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by b8rtm8nn

I watched it on satellite so:

2. The case is aluminum, the fans are individually controlled, under normal usage at room temperature it generates 35db (compared to ~ 70 for current G4) - this case alone will probably keep the cost higher than El Capitan machines.

I don't think that the current G4 produce 70 db, or you will quickly throw it trought the window . The bell scale is a logarythmic one, i don't remember exactly but three more db means twice the noise level. In others docs they even said that it produce three less noise than the G4 : it will give 105 db for the G4 : the noise of an F16 ...

BTW i love noise reduction 4 to 5 DB less are important. Silence worth gold.

PS : for the cost of the case , i agree entirely, these case must cost a lot of bucks. Each fan has his own control, it means each compartiment has his own thermomether , the whole thing is controled certainly by a dedicated CPU. This is a piece of jewelry.
  • Reply 90 of 189
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    I'm thoroughly impressed. Since they won't ship till August or September, I'll wait to order and see what goodies Apple may introduce @ MacWorld CreativePro.

I really want to see these machines in person, that had to be the most amazing keynote in the history of Apple.
  • Reply 91 of 189
    moazammoazam Posts: 136member
    Quote:

Dude a workstation isn't just a fast machine it includes certain high level support from the seller, a guarantee to run certain apps without crashing and data loss due to software probs. This stuff costs extra, and makes workstations so much more expensive.

For example, Quadros from nVidia ship with many workstations even though they may offer the exact same performance and chip as a reg., cheaper, consumer Geforce, but in return it's drivers are more thoroughly tested and configured.

Trust me, I know what a 'workstation' is. I work on them all day long, and I work with customers who work on them all day long. Matter of fact, I have two 64bit CPU workstations at my desk right now.

The Dual 2Ghz G5 from Apple is a serious workstation. You can have both of my current non-Apple workstations in exchange if you wish.

PS> My opinions and thoughts are my own, not my employers, etc. blah blah blah priceless.
  • Reply 92 of 189
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BJNY

Here are the prices from Kingstons site

I haven't seen a 1 GB stick DDR400 yet.

BTW Data sheets of Kingston are lousy!
  • Reply 93 of 189
    Quote:

Originally posted by smalM

Here are the prices from Kingstons site

I haven't seen a 1 GB stick DDR3200 yet.

newegg.com has the following for 291.50$, of course this is a Corsair which makes it a wee bit more expensive but it's the best, does give better performance.

CORSAIR MEMORY XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, Low Latency (Twin Pack) 1GB(2 x 512MB) 2x(64MX64) PC-3200LL With Black Heat Spreader.Retail

Specifications:

Speed 400 MHz

Organization 2 x 64M x 64

CAS Latency 2-2-2-6-T1

Memory type DDR

Part number: TWINX1024-3200LL Model#: TWINX1024-3200LL

woops it's two 512MB's, oh well still a good deal.
  • Reply 94 of 189
    Quote:

It driver are probably more thoroughly tested, but then under Windows 2K/XP with several different mobo designs that's probably a necessity, and with the best will in the world isn't you beef with ATI or nVIDIA rather than Apple - it's their product that isn't supported, it's their responsibility to step up to the plate.

A workstation from Dell arguably comes with as much support as a G5 with an AppleCare pack. And even if it doesn't, do a straight like-for-like highest common denominator price comparison!

Take the price difference, and work out how many hours of support that will buy you or how many generational upgrades of video card.
  • Reply 95 of 189
    Oh baby.

I think this is the biggest leap in speed and performance EVER in Apple's history. This dwarfs the G4 vs G3 or the 040 vs powerpc. this is a whole new level.

I am completely excited. i MAY wait for a dual 2.5, but we'll see. I'm buying a new system mainly for After Effects, Photoshop and Final Cut.

Ever single complaint about the G4 i've ever had has been addressed:

bus too slow? fixed.

Processor slow? fixed.

RAM strangled? fixed.

Front access to main ports? fixed.

price / performance? fixed.

For those very few of you wining about price, think about it for a second.

yesterday, the fastest mac available was running on a 166Mhz bus for god's sake. Today, it's dual 1ghz.

I will gladly pay extra money for a truly professional system.

And for those who want to save money, go buy an iMac. That's what they're for.

I am thoroughly happy with the announcements today. And I know I'll be damn fricking happy the first time i power up one of these suckers, sitting on my desk. Oh yeah.

• Reply 96 of 189
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    I am both stoked and disappointed somewhat. My disappointent comes from the Powerbook arena. I would like to replace my Gen 1 400 TiBk and was hoping that they would make a new PB come to light, even if it was a new Al 15" er. By the looks of things (high number of fans) the 970 aint gonna be inside a notebook for a while which is also disappointing. However, the new G5 specs are awesome. Panther which appears the only thing I will be able to take advantage of for a while is going to be great.
  • Reply 97 of 189
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Reactions? Unbuckingfelievable! I'd rate this keynote a 9/10.

And the more I look at the G5's case, the more I like it. It's already my desktop background pic.

Two things that I didn't see covered were metadata and whether or not 10.3 would be faster on a G4 than 10.2.
  • Reply 98 of 189
    I'm blown away. We all heard that the 970 was "wicked fast", but I did NOT expect this level of performance.

Just as an exercise, I priced out an "equivalent" Dell Workstation -- the "650", if I remember the model number correctly.

With dual 3.06GHz Xeons, and other parts (reasonably) equivalent, the price was 80% higher than the Dual 2GHz PowerMac. Unreal. And the PowerMac will walk all over it, performance-wise.

My name is already on a list at a local reseller to purchase the dually as soon as they get stock.

Oh yeah -- and just as an aside -- up to the release of the 17" PowerBook, I was a PC user.

-J
  • Reply 99 of 189
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Absolutely amazing machines. I couldn't be happier. It is interesting that for the first time I can think of, the high-end Powermac is the sweet spot in price/performance. I am also very happy that the Dual 2Ghz didn't break the $3k pricepoint. Very good!

As many of you have already made note, the low-end machine seems really expensive! However, it is great that you can get a Dual 1.25Ghz G4 Powermac for $1,599 on Apple's site now, and a single 1.25Ghz G4 Powermac for $1,299.

I'd be willing to bet that we'll see the iMacs updated with much faster G4's or have their prices dramatically reduced before these new Powermacs ship, just like earlier this year the iMacs appeared they made the Powermacs a bad buy, but they updated the Powermacs just days before the iMacs shipped.

Oh, and Panther's new features make me a happy boy The new Finder looks fantastic, Thank you Apple for the new Open/Save Dialog Boxes, and I think Exposé is going to be the most useful feature added to any OS in like 10 years
  • Reply 100 of 189
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    reactions:

Panther: omfg about time a Mac OS came with something like Font Book. I'll be buying this asap. Other features seem good, like Apple is starting to refine this fledgling OS. Xcode is very cool for developers which is a very good thing.

iSight: Neat little vid cam. Not sure I'm gonna rush out and get one however.

G5s: Damn near a home run in my book. They rounded third, almost made it home and got forced back. The speed/architecture is freakin' unbelievable compared to what we've been stuck with for so long.

My nagging points are expandability going backwards (1 optical bay, 1 hd bay, 3 pci slots) and Apple's continued reluctance to use anything but consumer-grade cards in their towers. The "crippled" GF FX 5200's in the low and mid pro machines is just silly imo.

Not sure what I think of the case yet. I'll have to see them in person. I do like Aluminum and the whole concept of airflow is cool.