Would putting a standard slot-loading DVD drive in the Apple TV make sense right now?

Comments

• Reply 81 of 162
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    I believe the Apple TV can become successful for Apple, it just needs a few changes and as technology advances these changes can be implemented. As more people start adopting broadband internet and speeds increase the Apple TV can move forward...

- Firstly the itunes store needs high definition content since the device is being used for HDTV's...

- There needs to be some sort of rental service on itunes and used for Apple TV

- IPTV service which can challenge cable and satellite companies

- Satellite radio

- Being able to play itunes games with the Apple TV....

- Creating a new touchscreen universal remote with the same design as the iphone to replace the existing remote which can control your apple tv, television, and other devices as well as being used as a controller for the games

- Needs more content (movies, classic tv shows, sports matches, etc)

- DVR function with programming similar to TIVO

- Ability to browse the internet...

- Intergrated itunes into Apple TV

- Being able to watch programming while away on your iphone or another computer, sort of like how the slingbox does it...

- Adding a service like flickr to it...

What do y'all think...Can these ideas be implemented...
  • Reply 82 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

He also said (among other things) that inclusion of a BD drive would make it cost $1000 and Apple would only sell a couple 1000 units.

BUT, he won't back this claim (among others) up with data/evidence/market research.

sony lost a bunch of money selling the ps3 for how much it costs. seeing as the apple tv is 450 canadian, that would leave you with another 550 dollars for the drive, how much does a blu ray drive cost? for 550 why not just buy the ps3's and rip the drive out D:. i'm not sure how much a blu ray drive costs but all ireland is trying to say is that, the addition of the bluray drive would bring up the price quite a bit. where as a simple dvd player drive would be like 20 bucks and make all the difference. i think all this bluray crap is bull and that dvd quality is fine enough.
  • Reply 83 of 162
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Adjei View Post

I believe the Apple TV can become successful for Apple, it just needs a few changes and as technology advances these changes can be implemented. As more people start adopting broadband internet and speeds increase the Apple TV can move forward...

- Firstly the itunes store needs high definition content since the device is being used for HDTV's...

- Satellite radio

- Creating a new touchscreen universal remote with the same design as the iphone to replace the existing remote which can control your apple tv, television, and other devices as well as being used as a controller for the games

- Being able to watch programming while away on your iphone or another computer, sort of like how the slingbox does it...

I agree with all that accept the browsing the internet, a web browser in the living room is the wrong direction. A specialized wikipedia widget formatted for a TV, possibly, but not the full internet.
  • Reply 84 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I agree with all that accept the browsing the internet, a web browser in the living room is the wrong direction. A specialized wikipedia widget formatted for a TV, possibly, but not the full internet.

I agree, I believe the Apple TV is a gem and Apple should work on improving it...
  • Reply 85 of 162
    Quote:

I agree, I believe the Apple TV is a gem and Apple should work on improving it...

All that stuff is probably already in the works too.
  • Reply 86 of 162
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

- Satellite radio

I see that your list is good.

things that make sense.

My only question comes to DVR. While I would love to have one, I wonder if the Studios and networks are pressuring Apple not to do it. Plus like I have been saying, Apple rather sell this content through iTunes, but since the amount of content is so small at this point, maybe they would let it happen or integrate Elgato even more into iTunes UI. And internet, I don't think they will do it.

I see that you had the comom sense not to include a optical drive in your list of sugestions for Ireland's sadness.
  • Reply 87 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy

I see that you had the comom sense not to include a optical drive in your list of sugestions for Ireland's sadness.

Ok, yeah.
  • Reply 88 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

I see that your list is good.

things that make sense.

My only question comes to DVR. While I would love to have one, I wonder if the Studios and networks are pressuring Apple not to do it. Plus like I have been saying, Apple rather sell this content through iTunes, but since the amount of content is so small at this point, maybe they would let it happen or integrate Elgato even more into iTunes UI. And internet, I don't think they will do it.

I meant in the sense that the DVR would be used with the IPTV model that Apple would be using with the Apple TV...Apple can change the way we watch TV with the Apple TV, they could give competition to cable and satellite companies and also companies like TIVO...
  • Reply 89 of 162
    Quote:

I meant in the sense that the DVR would be used with the IPTV model that Apple would be using with the Apple TV...Apple can change the way we watch TV with the Apple TV, they could give competition to cable and satellite companies and also companies like TIVO...

Don't mind it, I know what you meant.
  • Reply 90 of 162
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
  • Reply 91 of 162
    tsvissertsvisser Posts: 36member
    the main difference is that Sony takes a loss on the sale of a PS3 and expects to make it up in sales of video game / software titles.

apple's current strategy is to make a reasonable profit on every piece of hardware that they sell.

my vote would be to at least offer different versions. i am not a fan of blue ray disc, but would like to see an option for DVD versions... which is actually very similar to the rumored soon to be axed mini. i have a hard time seeing a mac pro in every A/V local system, so hope that apple has some plan for a compact computer. front row 2.0 is rumored to look like the apple tv interface.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Why on earth would aTV with a BR drive cost more than a aTV and a PS3? aTV would be around $599 like many other BR players.

hey...when the heck did they add the 160GB aTV model for $399?

Vinea

• Reply 92 of 162
    dimmerdimmer Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

which is actually very similar to the rumored soon to be axed mini.

The Mac Mini is not going away anytime soon: it's way too valuable for education sales, and a great option for switchers who don't spend all day playing twitch shooters.

But I think the issue here is how would an AppleTV with a DVD drive differ from a MacMini? It's a little too close for comfort. I can see the AppleTV and MacMini evolving into a single device -- to me (and I just mean me!) that would make sense.

The optical drive item is very like the iMac design: no floppy, no ADB, no whatever else we thought was essential.

All of the above said, I'd buy a MacMini as a media center, not a AppleTV, but I'm a geek and if I could have the flush mechanism of the toilet be computerized I'd be all over it.
  • Reply 93 of 162
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:

This is about the only thing that is required.

Quote:

There is no requirement for these. Apple has believed that purchase is better than rental. While this may change it would require the agreement of the studios. Real IPTV service for the number of iTunes customers would require far more infrastructure than sales and download.

Quote:

- Satellite radio

Again sales vs rental/subscription. Also satellite radio already has internet broadcast for subscribers.

Quote:

Simple games will likely come as are control widgets for iPhones and iPods.

Quote:

Which will come.

Quote:

No. First this means that Apple will need to license DVR technology from TiVO and second, DVRs are annoying/expensive to build to work with cable companies (cable cards + activation) and third if you have rental/subscription/IPTV then DVR technology is as outdated as DVDs.

Quote:

- Adding a service like flickr to it...

These are likely.

Quote:

Of course they CAN be. Whether they are likely to are business decisions. IPTV is very unlikely. DVR is very unlikely. Subscriptions/Rentals are possible.

Vinea
  • Reply 94 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post

the main difference is that Sony takes a loss on the sale of a PS3 and expects to make it up in sales of video game / software titles.

apple's current strategy is to make a reasonable profit on every piece of hardware that they sell.

Given that a Blu-Ray drive is $300 retail it would depend on how much the processor/video chain needs to be boosted to do flawless 1080p playback and the cost for Blu-Ray player licensing. $699 isn't an unreasonable estimate moving forward.

Vinea
  • Reply 95 of 162
    Quote:

There is no reason not to have an internet browser and even email/IM capability on the aTV. Competitors have them (consoles, etc) and its not like its a new concept (WebTV).

Vinea
  • Reply 96 of 162
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:

Please read this post before voting - thank you.

Myself and 'gugy' have been arguing this one to no end in that other thread. I started this poll because of how strongly I feel on the subject. Gugy thinks putting a slot-loading DVD drive in an Apple TV doesn't make sense for Apple because it would compete with their whole downloading movies over the internet through iTunes strategy.

I disagree though, here's why:

Apple could sell millions of these things if it could play peoples DVD's, it's not hard to imagine. They could chuck their old, bulky DVD player, and go with this modern easy-to-use, minimal, understated set-up. Without a DVD slot, right now, it's just a fancy media streamer--a niche product--they'll be very lucky to sell over two million of them. When we get to a point when downloading movies makes more sense than physical disks, then he'd have a point, but even at that people would still need an additional device taking up space in their set-up to play their DVD's. Right now, and in the future putting a DVD slot in this device just makes sense, it's that simple.

More people are starting to choose downloading music over buying CD's now cause it makes more sense. Yet they still have the option of doing the latter, their computers have the drive to play and rip that content. They choose to download cause it's quicker, easier, and more efficient. The same would be true for Apple TV at a point, even if it could still play regular old DVD disks too. Downloading movies over using DVD's doesn't make sense right now, we're just not there yet, infrastructure-wise or content-wise. And in the mean time, Apple aint selling many Apple TV's.

Oh, and here's how it could look:

Gugy you may as well vote no now and get it out of the way.

Bad idea. You will see why in a few months . Apple does make mistakes but this ain't one of them. It doesn't have a 440 gig hard drive either. It will be easier and better to have a cheap device that is programable with no accessories that will be obsolete in a year. It will be years before the opposition can compete with os x in this box. The slot is in your computer across the room . They do talk to each other with out the wires .I and steve jobs vote NO .
  • Reply 97 of 162
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    Quote:

Same here. To me it's an ipod for the living room where I can choose my music on the big screen and enjoy my pictures. Superb product.

Everyone who has seen the Apple tv have been nothing but impressed.
  • Reply 98 of 162
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:

Please read this post before voting - thank you.

I agree and like the look but as well as play dvds what'd be great imo is to be able to use that same drive to burn the content you stream.

Let's say you stream your vacation video and grandma likes it, have the appleTV spit out a copy for her to take with her, instead of having to go back to the computer. These things would play as straight video, no menus maybe with an apple logo watermark in the corner. I can enjoy a dvd whereever I want, why download from itunes and be stuck only watching it on only 3 devices, i've lent friends movies tons of times, with the current system that's impossible.

I think that'd be great, after all you can burn your itunes songs.
  • Reply 99 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Well obviously you don't know the size of DVD drives either because they aren't zero height.

It could be zero height or nearly zero height actually. It's obviously a slot loading drive and looking at my mbp as i type this, it has next to no height, you'd just need to design the appleTV's motherboard a bit differently.
  • Reply 100 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

I believe your implied threat of violence towards me goes against board rules, if you cant keep your comments civil, then perhaps you shouldnt comment at all?

I'm sorry but saying that a slap is violence is just too funny.... Unless your a celebrity try telling the cops to have someone arrested because you nerdfest arguements about dvd player inclusion got out of hand and you were slapped.

"Officer....he slapped me!"

This place is too funny sometimes.