Would putting a standard slot-loading DVD drive in the Apple TV make sense right now?

Comments

• Reply 101 of 162
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I'm sorry but saying that a slap is violence is just too funny.... Unless your a celebrity try telling the cops to have someone arrested because you nerdfest arguements about dvd player inclusion got out of hand and you were slapped.

"Officer....he slapped me!"

This place is too funny sometimes.

Be careful, he gonna pwn you for that now!
  • Reply 102 of 162
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

It could be zero height or nearly zero height actually. It's obviously a slot loading drive and looking at my mbp as i type this, it has next to no height, you'd just need to design the appleTV's motherboard a bit differently.

If you look at the MBP disassembly pics you'll see that there aint nothing underneath the drive and it takes pretty much the thickness of the MBP (keyboard half).

http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/ha...s/Image18.html

Now look at the disassembly pics for the Apple TV.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...pple_TV_1a.jpg

What? You two can't flipping use Google to search for "disassembly" "MBP" and "Apple TV"? You tell me that you can fit that drive in that case and have room for all the other stuff in the Apple TV?

Zero height or near zero height? Design the motherboard differently? Buy a damn clue. Add the slot loading drive and you increase the aTV size by the height of the drive (hint, this is non-zero) if not a little more for heat dissipation.

All Ireland did was draw a slot into the existing aTV which is bogus. Increase the height and the proportions are obviously a little different and not quite as sleek and slim.

Vinea
  • Reply 103 of 162
    Fine. Here. Before and After.

Picture is copyright Apple off their site. Used without permission for edumacational purposes to show Ireland that DVD drives are not zero height. You can shave off the space between the slot and the top but then it looks unbalanced. It looks rather like a misporportioned Mini.

Looking at it, it seems there should be more room under the drive but I guess we can move the HDD above the DVD drive to get the balance. Maybe. The heat sink on the processor likely gets in the way of the drive a little as does the power supply in that lower position. Probably needs to be a taller than what is shown or the slot moved up which makes it look silly. That's also probably not really 1.8"...more like 1.6"...I didn't measure and did it by eye.

Vinea
  • Reply 104 of 162
    and arnt Blu-ray drives thicker again? I don't think we quite have the ultra slim BD drives yet.
  • Reply 105 of 162
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I would have to say that a DVD drive wouldn't make sense as DVD is aleady compromised regarding security and many people are already playing back Mpeg2_ts files through ATV.

A HD optical drive would be nice but the ATV cannot handle HD DVDs bitrate let alone Blu-ray so we need another generation or two of hardware advances before that is feasible.
  • Reply 106 of 162
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Also the heat generated by the optical drive would need to be taken into consideration. Apple TV already gets quite warm, so if an optical drive was added, Apple would have to allow for sufficient air flow in the case.
  • Reply 107 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

So you're telling my the slimmest, decent standard DVD drive Apple could engineer into the Apple TV would be 17.78mm.. please! That's just too funny. And that's not even taking in to account them reengineering the existing internal design to make things fit even snugger. I'd bet if Apple engineers set their minds to it, they could get this thing in around 1.4" tall. Which is still way smaller then your DVD player, and this thing wouldn't be just that, it could be set-top-box some day too. One box for all your needs.
  • Reply 108 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So you're telling my the slimmest, decent standard DVD drive Apple could engineer into the Apple TV would be 17.78mm.. please! That's just too funny. And that's not even taking in to account them reengineering the existing internal design to make things fit even snugger. I'd bet if Apple engineers set their minds to it, they could get this thing in around 1.4" tall. Which is still way smaller then your DVD player, and this thing wouldn't be just that, it could be set-top-box some day too. One box for all your needs.

WHY do you continue to pedal your unfounded wishlist claptrap as truth?

Unlike you I actually own an aTV and I can assure you that as it stands it gets Pretty freakin hot right now, but you are trying to say from your uninformed point of view, that MORE heat generating electronics could be put inside with very little to no extra space for that heat.

what next? you want to add fans?

Its not doing to get a DVD drive, it might be cool if it had one , but it WON'T simply because it goes against Apples strategy.

Even supposing for a moment that it did get a DVD drive, it would HAVE to get taller - FULL STOP.
  • Reply 109 of 162
    Quote:

So you're telling my the slimmest, decent standard DVD drive Apple could engineer into the Apple TV would be 17.78mm.. please! That's just too funny. And that's not even taking in to account them reengineering the existing internal design to make things fit even snugger.

9.5mm for the MBP superdrive. 1-2 mm for offset from internal components because maybe you don't want the DVD drive that close to the CPU heatsink. Then another 5-6mm or so for offset from the top to not look stupid. So around 1.8" total height give or take a little.

As for snugger...look at the damn box. Its very snug as is...here it is since you obviously can't click a link.

Rearrange that genius.

Vinea
  • Reply 110 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea

Rearrange that genius.

Thanks, you're not too bad yourself. Just sayin' 17.78mm is not too thin for a slim DVD slot drive, you can get them way thinner in fact.
  • Reply 111 of 162
    Quote:

Thanks, you're not to bad yourself. Just sayin' 17.78mm is not too thin for a slim DVD slot drive, you can get them way thinner in fact.

He isn't saying its 17.78mm for the drive alone, can't you read? he said "9.5mm for the MBP superdrive." the extra space is needed for engineering/thermodynamic/aesthetic reasons. You know, stuff that exist in the REAL world.

The more of your posts I read, the more I think of THIS because it seems to be what you want to do with Apple products.
  • Reply 112 of 162
    So part of your point is he's making it bigger for aesthetic reasons, lol.
  • Reply 113 of 162
    Quote:

So part of your point is he's making it bigger for aesthetic reasons, lol.

Asthetic reasons due to component placement inside, plus its Apple so yeah, you can't exactly ignore asthetics and call it an Apple product now can you?

Gee maybe you just didn't read his posts all that well
  • Reply 114 of 162
    Slimline Blu-Ray burner available at $852 retail ($999 MSRP).

http://store.pcpowerzone.com/pablujslsllo.html

$50 more from a mac store.

http://store.fastmac.com/product_inf...roducts_id=195

Given that its only one company (Panasonic) with no current retail competitors (that I could find...possibly all the laptops are using the Panny drive) I expect that price to drop as more laptops are made with Blu-Ray and other makers release products onto the retail market. By the time aTV rev 2 comes around, should Apple want a optical drive then the RETAIL price for that kind of drive should be around the $300 we see for the tray loading kind...which Plextor is releasing a new 5x drive for $300 MSRP.

I don't have the time to move the drive slot to the top of the aTV and shrink it down .25" but if you do so (like it sits in the MBP) you can see it looks rather dumb. Maybe later but dismissing asthetics for Apple products means you're really grasping at straws. Adding any optical drive makes the aTV a wider Mini height device so if you're going to bother then make it a Blu-Ray drive.

Plus DVD drives DO get warm. You may need that .25" just for additional heat dissapation/air flow.

Vinea
  • Reply 115 of 162
    Oh...and you say $852 is too expensive for NOW then heck the answer is still NO since a DVD drive is still not that useful (ie sell millions of units like you say) and its not like Apple can release aTV rev 2 today anyway and even if you did the thing would be a half inch or more taller.

Also I think that with aTV the volume would increase enough the OEM price would drop anyway since Apple would likely start sticking slimline BR burners in a lot of BTO Macs. Sure as heck the folks making laptops are not tacking an extra $1000 just for the drive.
  • Reply 116 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Asthetic reasons due to component placement inside, plus its Apple so yeah, you can't exactly ignore asthetics and call it an Apple product now can you?

Gee maybe you just didn't read his posts all that well

Be nice Walter, please.
  • Reply 117 of 162
    Quote:

Be nice Walter, please.

Brendan, address some of the questions and suggestions put to you please.
  • Reply 118 of 162
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vinea View Post

Why on earth would aTV with a BR drive cost more than a aTV and a PS3?

Vinea

Because Sony subsidises the high component cost of PS3 though sales/licensing of games.
  • Reply 119 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Brendan, address some of the questions and suggestions put to you please.

I don't have time right now Walter, later.
  • Reply 120 of 162
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Because Sony subsidises the high component cost of PS3 though sales/licensing of games.

Good point. Also because Sony takes something like a 250-300 hit on each PS3.