Would putting a standard slot-loading DVD drive in the Apple TV make sense right now?

12345679»

Comments

• Reply 161 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I am ashamed I was reading Digg.

And even more shamed I clicked on a link from Digg, but it was Ireland's post so I did it.

Bit I'm still ashamed that I answered the poll..

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Apple may refer to AppleTV as a hobby but they really want it to succeed in the long run.

Three scenarios that come to mine...

1) Apple finally getting the MPAA to allow 720p movie sales and/or 720p movie rentals at reasonable prices.

2) The MPAA has decided not to agree to Apple's demands thus Apple will release an optical drive to increase the viability of the AppleTV. But wouldn't the streaming and caching allow for the AppleTV to be able to stream from the Mac's optical drive or does that violate some sort of MPAA agreement?

3) If the MPAA--and now the RIAA--is really playing hardball all Apple has to do is install a DVR in the AppleTV with a larger HDD. AppleTV has sold more units than TiVo signed up clients last year. If Apple chooses not to charge a subscription fee for this service then it's 4th leg will be quickly solidified overnight as a major hit.

Great well thought through post.

As for the "macosrumors" story, I say it's a definite case of "BALLS!" ain't gonna happen. but as with all things Apple and all things Apple rumour related, IF it happens and happens with Apples style then it could be cool.

But the mac mini story isn't gonna happen unless they put 1.8" drives in it, HOW can the mini get any smaller and NOT remove features?

Ok, I had to go back over that Apple TV thing and rip it appart.

Quote:

If the AppleTV's lack of an optical drive has been an issue for you, look no further than a soon to be announced update to the popular iDevice for that very issue to be addressed.

"iDevice" ???? WTF?

Quote:

Also, the entry-level model will be dropped to $249 with a 60GB or maybe even 80GB HDD (depending on market conditions about six or seven weeks from now),

sounds like "maybe, I don't know, I'm not sure, because I'm making it up/starting a wishful thinking rumour - what sounds good to you? take that and run with it."

Quote:

and two other models at $299 and $399 sporting 120-160 and 200-250GB drives respectively.

same as above

Quote:

The optical drive may not be available on all models, another vagary of our most recent source reports on the subject.

So which is it? As the poll on this thread suggests the split for and against the idea is pretty much 50/50 so take what you think and run with it, as its just a rumour, a BASELESS RUMOUR.

Quote:

More on the AppleTV 2.0 and its across-the-board hardware/software upgrades later this week when the key embargo expires!

About the only interesting thing, lets wait and see, I doubt it will come to anything, but I'll be impressed if it does.
  • Reply 162 of 162
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe

As for the "macosrumors" story, I say it's a definite case of "BALLS!" ain't gonna happen. but as with all things Apple and all things Apple rumour related, IF it happens and happens with Apples style then it could be cool.

When you mention 'if' what 'exact' part of the story are you referring to?