Would putting a standard slot-loading DVD drive in the Apple TV make sense right now?

Comments

• Reply 141 of 162
    It would make sense to put in that DVD drive right now.

The problem, chez Apple, is that once they put it in that feature, it's almost impossible to remove it from future models, and Apple envisions the future as moving from DVD to hard drive.

I think Apple wishes they could put it in for current models, but is compelled by future plans to avoid the temptation.
  • Reply 142 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So you're telling me you don't see Apple making TV's in the next few years? I think it's just an obvious progression towards the company Apple wants to become. I'd bet money on the TV thing.

If I were you I'd keep an eye on that gambling habit you have. You keep assuring everyone you are right, have you been?

And are you EVER going to address any of the questions that have been put to you on this thread?
  • Reply 143 of 162
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:

S I'd bet money on the TV thing.

I am glad you leave far away from Las Vegas. You would be broke by now You don't seem to be very good in betting.

Peace.
  • Reply 144 of 162
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

And are you EVER going to address any of the questions that have been put to you on this thread?

I can't even remember those questions, and I sure aren't going to look for them. If you want me to answer them, ask me again. You only think I think I'm always right, because you think I'm always wrong. I'd be 'very' 'very' surprised if Apple didn't product a TV within the next few years, so much so, I would actually bet they will. Just like I'd bet they'll release a 16GB iPhone before Christmas, as I was saying ever before this German thing came out. Just as I said they'll do a mobile iTunes Store when others were saying they wouldn't. I'm no prophet, and no, I'm not always right, but I'm not always wrong either, like you'd like to think.

I'd never bet money on the Apple TV (iTV) thing, cause I'm unsure they are clever enough to see a huge opportunity in this instance. When it comes to this TV thing however, it's not only that I think I'm right, but I think it's 'so' obvious I can't understand why everyone isn't saying it. It's like lying on a road that only allows trucks, thinking maybe a truck wont come along, but eventually a truck does. This is that truck, and I'd say I'm 100% confident it's coming. Sure, nothing in this world is certain, I just have a strong feeling on this matter.
  • Reply 145 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

I am glad you leave far away from Las Vegas. You would be broke by now You don't seem to be very good in betting.

Like I was saying, it's gonna happen. Just like the mobile iTunes store, it was bound to come along eventually. Don't worry, I'm not a gloater, I'll go easy on you when that TV arrives.
  • Reply 146 of 162
    Quote:

Like I was saying, it's gonna happen. Just like the mobile iTunes store, it was bound to come along eventually. Don't worry, I'm not a gloater, I'll go easy on you when that TV arrives.

I am glad you are thinking is coming. For sure I am not waiting 20 years for that, if that ever is going to happen.

Much better deal IMHO is to wait for version 2.0 of AppleTV hopefully with 1080p and 5.1 audio support and get one of the amazing 50" or 60" new generation plasma displays for example from Pioneer and enjoy it very soon. That would be nice. Once AppleTV gets a 3.0 version I just swap it for the new one for not much money and still enjoying my killer HDTV display.

AIO AppleTelevision doesn't sound good to me even if that ever happen because the reason above. But is that what you really want then go for it or keep dreaming about it.
  • Reply 147 of 162
    Quote:

I think you could probably "claim" you were right already with one of the 24" iMacs, just bung a tuner in one of the usb slots on the back of it, I'm sure its only a matter of time till someone hacks front row to allow the TV through (look at all the hacks for the AppleTV)

Plenty of people "only" have a 24" TV and when Apple get round to the 30"iMac well you will have "won" you're bet.

But as I asked before (and likely STILL won't get an answer) what is your criteria for LOOSING this bet?

Simply saying "some time in the future Apple will do this, this and this" you can NEVER be proven to be wrong, therfore it is not a true bet as the odds don't exist to cover "some time in the future" ergo you cannot "bet" that you are right.
  • Reply 148 of 162
    The TV will appear before 2009, or I will do, em, something.. And no, 30" iMacs don't count. I'm talking a TV, just like the way the Apple TV isn't a Mac mini, it's designed for a different purpose. I don't know if the TV will have all the stuff I wish it will, but I do believe it will be a TV. Sure it very well be a reinvention of what a TV is, but it will be intended for entertainment (mainly video), not work.
  • Reply 149 of 162
    Quote:

The TV will appear before 2009, or I will do, em, something.. And no, 30" iMacs don't count. I'm talking a TV, just like the way the Apple TV isn't a Mac mini, it's designed for a different purpose. I don't know if the TV will have all the stuff I wish it will, but I do believe it will be a TV. Sure it very well be a reinvention of what a TV is, but it will be intended for entertainment (mainly video), not work.

ok 2009 I can wait on 3009 not so much

I think a 30" iMac "could count", if it had a built in decoder but it would have to be standard as BTO wouldn't really mean that Apple were releaseing it, just allowing it as an option.

but isn't an iMac mainy intended for entertainment if thats why you buy it?

One could buy an AppleTV with the intention of turning it into a computer and so that would be its function but I know what you mean.

Glad we have some parameters now so that somebody somewhere can go "ner ner nee nerr nerr" or not
  • Reply 150 of 162
    In other words Walter, it wont come with a keyboard and mouse. Whereas a 30" iMac would.
  • Reply 151 of 162
    +1 Ireland, I'm with ya.

And hey, you're winning the poll by one.
  • Reply 152 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fishyesque View Post

+1 Ireland, I'm with ya.

And hey, you're winning the poll by one.

Thanks! By two now
  • Reply 153 of 162
    I guess someone agrees with me
  • Reply 154 of 162
    Quote:

I guess someone agrees with me

Wait. He's still in business? Didn't he like forget to pay his hosting bill and try to sell the domain name for like a trillion dollars or something?
  • Reply 155 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski View Post

Wait. He's still in business? Didn't he like forget to pay his hosting bill and try to sell the domain name for like a trillion dollars or something?

The digg effect.
  • Reply 156 of 162
    ranumranum Posts: 43member
    I'm also hoping the rumor is true, even given MOSR's sketchy record.
  • Reply 157 of 162
    MacOSRumors

you guys are desperate in order to believe these guys.

But, hey that would be nice to have a BR drive on a AppleTV for $399

Ireland, good job trying to resuscitate this thread so many times.
  • Reply 158 of 162
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gugy View Post

MacOSRumors

you guys are desperate in order to believe these guys.

But, hey that would be nice to have a BR drive on a AppleTV for $399

Ireland, good job trying to resuscitate this thread so many times.

I told you I wouldn't gloat, but I never said I wouldn't make you aware of the errors of your ways.
  • Reply 159 of 162
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I am ashamed I was reading Digg.

And even more shamed I clicked on a link from Digg, but it was Ireland's post so I did it.

Bit I'm still ashamed that I answered the poll..

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Apple may refer to AppleTV as a hobby but they really want it to succeed in the long run.

Three scenarios that come to mine...

1) Apple finally getting the MPAA to allow 720p movie sales and/or 720p movie rentals at reasonable prices.

2) The MPAA has decided not to agree to Apple's demands thus Apple will release an optical drive to increase the viability of the AppleTV. But wouldn't the streaming and caching allow for the AppleTV to be able to stream from the Mac's optical drive or does that violate some sort of MPAA agreement?

3) If the MPAA--and now the RIAA--is really playing hardball all Apple has to do is install a DVR in the AppleTV with a larger HDD. AppleTV has sold more units than TiVo signed up clients last year. If Apple chooses not to charge a subscription fee for this service then it's 4th leg will be quickly solidified overnight as a major hit.
  • Reply 160 of 162
    Quote:

I told you I wouldn't gloat, but I never said I wouldn't make you aware of the errors of your ways.