Apple Store employees allegedly profile black students as potential thieves

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2015
A group of black high school students were asked to leave an Apple Store in Australia after security became concerned that they "might steal something," prompting the store manager to issue an apology.

The incident took place Tuesday at the Apple Store in Melbourne's Highpoint Shopping Centre. In a video posted by one of the students, an employee can be heard telling the group that store security guards "are just a bit worried about your presence in our store."

"They're just worried you might steal something," the employee adds. The students briefly argue back, but eventually leave the store.

(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));

Khalid Breezy, Petros Smalls, Deebo Ater Abdulahi Haji Ali Mohamed, Andy Gambino Nelson Mahad MohamudSimply Racism, made them apologise tho

Posted by Francis Ose on Tuesday, November 10, 2015

"Once the incident happened I was in shock, I was in disbelief," one of the students told Australian broadcaster SBS. "I didn't believe the employee said that, I thought I was day dreaming."

After the incident came to light, the store manager apologized to the students, who accepted and said that it would not tarnish their view of Apple.

"It was just one employee and we shouldn't blame the all company just for one employee's mistake," one added.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 173
    Yep, xenophobic racist Australians at it again!
  • Reply 2 of 173
    I don't think store managers like seeing high school kids in their store [I]period[/I]. Especially if they had backpacks, etc.

Kids have to make it 'racist' though, gets more attention that way.
  • Reply 3 of 173

One event at one Apple Store location. Seriously, does it really warrant it's own "headline post" in AppleInsider ?

• Reply 4 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lizardhowson View Post

One event at one Apple Store location. Seriously, does it really warrant it's own "headline post" in AppleInsider ?

It does if you want to start a shit-storm:D

• Reply 5 of 173
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,261member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Any store owner has the right to ask someone to leave.

Just so happens it was a black kid.
    It wasn't one kid. it was a group of kids who happened to be black. Whether skin color mattered isn't mentioned by the employees so I'd err on the side it didn't.

[VIDEO]https://www.facebook.com/eseose.oseghale/videos/759395487523343/[/VIDEO]
  • Reply 6 of 173
    Something seems very odd about this...almost as if some facts are missing to slant the story towards racism. I find it difficult to believe that an Apple employee would ask a group of students to leave because of the color of their skin and that the security guards were worried about that. Well, they're security guards...it's their job to watch them to prevent anything from happening, not complain about having to do their job. The article even goes so far to insinuate that it was done preemptively instead of a response to an attempt to steal something.

If accurate, I commend the gentleman who realized that it may have been the action of one person and not a philosophy of the company as a whole.

From my understanding, Apple employees go through a ton of training to work at the store and I'd have to believe that Apple does not have racial profiling as a chapter in their handbook. Perhaps a past Apple employee could chime in on that one.
  • Reply 7 of 173
    Sorry, not taking the bait on this one. Controversy rejected.
  • Reply 8 of 173
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I don't think store managers like seeing high school kids in their store period. Especially if they had backpacks, etc.

Because obviously there couldn't possibly be racism in the world, and obviously it's hardly ever targeted at black people. Especially if white people like you don't ever see it.
  • Reply 9 of 173
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    PS: how exactly was this paragraph supposed to even be read?

[quote]Khalid Breezy, Petros Smalls, Deebo Ater Abdulahi Haji Ali Mohamed, Andy Gambino Nelson Mahad MohamudSimply Racism, made them apologise thoPosted by Francis Ose on Tuesday, November 10, 2015[/quote]
  • Reply 10 of 173
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I don't think store managers like seeing high school kids in their store period. Especially if they had backpacks, etc.

Because obviously there couldn't possibly be racism in the world, and obviously it's hardly ever targeted at black people. Especially if white people like you don't ever see it.

But - it is not necessarily reasonable to assume that racism was behind this incident either. It's quite possible that they have asked white or black kids to leave previously, but that this attracted attention because it was videoed. Racism generally manifests as a pattern of behavior, and one incident, with no overt racist aspects, does not imply a pattern.

• Reply 11 of 173

That is sad and whoever initiated this (security guard and/or sales person) should be fired.  

If only to set a lasting example.  This is very damaging to Apple's image.

• Reply 12 of 173
    That is sad and whoever initiated this (security guard and/or sales person) should be fired.  
    If only to set a lasting example.  This is very damaging to Apple's image.

You're right, we should fire people without knowing the facts of the story. Due process is so overrated. Overreaction now!
  • Reply 13 of 173
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Questioning the motives of the AI editorial staff will get you banned so I’ll just point out that headline appears to clearly imply that Apple Store “employees" as a class are profiling blacks. We don’t get to know that it is a single store and a single employee in Australia until we start reading.

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"It was just one employee and we shouldn't blame the all company just for one employee's mistake," one added.

Interesting that the headline used the plural “employees” when one of the alleged victims said it was a single employee.

• Reply 14 of 173
    Quote:

That is pure bullsh*t.

The fact is that there would not have been a problem if the kids had been white.

Get a clue...

• Reply 15 of 173

That is pure bullsh*t.
    The fact is that there would not have been a problem if the kids had been white.
    Get a clue...

Oh good, an eyewitness! You can clearly tell us exactly what happened since you act like you know all the facts, which means you must have been there!
  • Reply 16 of 173
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member

Yes.

• Reply 17 of 173
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Quote:

That is pure bullsh*t.

Get a clue...

So you would say that white kids never get asked to leave stores if the employees think that they are behaving suspiciously?

• Reply 18 of 173
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Any store owner has the right to ask someone to leave.

Just so happens it was a black kid.  

The headline is misleading (what a shock).  The kid was profiled as a potential thief.  Not profiled as a black kid.  It could be the backpack or the way he held items, who knows.

Profiled as a thief based on what? Australia as it is is one of the most racist countries on Earth, and long after apartheid was ended? in South Africa, Australia continued theirs. Profiled as a thief == black. Duh?

• Reply 19 of 173
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Gotta love the PC media jumping to conclusions.
  • Reply 20 of 173
    Quote:

You're right, we should fire people without knowing the facts of the story. Due process is so overrated. Overreaction now!

Due process? Why? I suspect Australian law is similar to the US Law. An At Will employee can be fired for any reason, even a bad one. No due process is required, ever.