Review: macOS Catalina 10.15 is what Apple promised the Mac could be, and is a crucial upg...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 168
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    ElCapitan said:
    ElCapitan said:

elijahg said:
    Bloody hell is DED trying to break the world record on longest article? Catalina really doesn’t add enough for what’s taken away for me, namely 32 bit application support. Seems a bit ridiculous to eliminated 32 bit support entirely. 32 bit apps can be sandboxed for security and 32 bit libraries can stay linked but unloaded until they’re required, so the extra RAM usage and security is a non-issue. 
    Christ, they’ve deprecated and announced the planned end of life for 32-bit apps years ago, and yet people are still gonna get butthurt and whine about it when it finally happens. 

No man, it’s not ridiculous. It streamlines the OS, the future processors, and is the direction the future is moving. Move past the denial stage and accept it. 
    Let the migration to other platforms begin.  Am in the process of moving a lot of solutions that ran brilliantly on Apple kit to Linux as it is no longer viable for macOS. 
    Awesome. Guess that means we won’t have the constant butthurt to look forward to in the near future? Have fun playing the drivers game on Linux, the bastion of easy computing...lol
    You sound as idiotic as always. Get yourself pulled out of the Apple Stockholm syndrome you're locked into. 
    Ah, let lose the personal insults! The last resort of those will no leg on which to stand. You don’t disappoint, son. 
    coolfactorlolliverblastdoorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 168
    dougd said:

I can only assume you're being an A-Hole

dougd said:
    I wouldn't touch it for at least six months after the disastrous IOS 13 rollout
    Dougd doesn’t like it!

Dont know what I’m doing wrong, but I’ve encountered zero disaster here. Can you clarify further about how you’ve been victimized by Apple? What are the real-world limitations you’ve experienced as part of the “disaster” on your end? Inquiring minds want to know. 
    Not at all. You claimed there was disaster, I asked you to cite how. You failed to do so and just called me an A-hole instead. 

So I’ll just chalk this up to another one of your never ending posts about not liking things. 
    coolfactorfastasleeplkrupplollivermacxpressmatrix077watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 168

ElCapitan said:
    ElCapitan said:

elijahg said:
    Bloody hell is DED trying to break the world record on longest article? Catalina really doesn’t add enough for what’s taken away for me, namely 32 bit application support. Seems a bit ridiculous to eliminated 32 bit support entirely. 32 bit apps can be sandboxed for security and 32 bit libraries can stay linked but unloaded until they’re required, so the extra RAM usage and security is a non-issue. 
    Christ, they’ve deprecated and announced the planned end of life for 32-bit apps years ago, and yet people are still gonna get butthurt and whine about it when it finally happens. 

No man, it’s not ridiculous. It streamlines the OS, the future processors, and is the direction the future is moving. Move past the denial stage and accept it. 
    Let the migration to other platforms begin.  Am in the process of moving a lot of solutions that ran brilliantly on Apple kit to Linux as it is no longer viable for macOS. 
    Awesome. Guess that means we won’t have the constant butthurt to look forward to in the near future? Have fun playing the drivers game on Linux, the bastion of easy computing...lol
    You sound as idiotic as always. Get yourself pulled out of the Apple Stockholm syndrome you're locked into. 
    Steam will soon move to 64 bit only. That should end the whining on 32 bit. Adobe dumped 32 bit quite a while ago. Hell, they dropped it in Photoshop back in 2012. Move on or become obsolete.
    That’s it in a nutshell. But as we see here there are those with egos that are unable to accept the fact that it is they who must adapt to the world, rather than the world adapting to them. Little Napoleons, basically. They’re in for a rude awakening...for the vast majority of us the world simply doesn’t care what we think it should do personally. We adapt, or end up old cranks yelling at kids to get off the lawn. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 168
    all my 32bit apps are from Apple, did someone at the spaceship not get the memo?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 168
    crowley said:
    crowley said:
    Not sure which part was supposed to be crucial?

I may install it on a partition when I have some time to kill, but ditching 32-bit apps... that's a tough pill to build up to, it'll take a while.
    What 32 bit apps do you use? 
    Games mainly, most of which will never be updated https://www.macgamerhq.com/opinion/32-bit-mac-games/
    So you’re expecting or hoping for the entire future of OS platform development to grind to a halt for all time so you don’t have to say goodbye to some old games or run them in a VM? “Yyyeaaahhh....”
    lollivermacpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 168

elijahg said:

QT7 I will really miss. The ability to quickly chop up a video is priceless....and no I don't want to learn iMovie.
    philboogie
  • Reply 47 of 168
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    woodbine said:

elijahg said:

QT7 I will really miss. The ability to quickly chop up a video is priceless....and no I don't want to learn iMovie.
    Why can't you use QTX for quickly trimming, splitting, and adding clips? I've been using it for years and it's easier and far faster than when I used QT7.
    edited October 2019 lollivercy_starkmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 168
    woodbine said:
    all my 32bit apps are from Apple, did someone at the spaceship not get the memo?
    Which currently supported and distributed apps from Apple are 32-bit? QuckTime 7? Nope. Try again.
    lollivercy_starkmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 168
    cmd-zcmd-z Posts: 69member
    sflocal said:
    drickey said:
    Contrary to the first image, Catalina is WEST of Los Angeles, not East
    It certainly is west of LA. The map is oriented so that south is up, to match the image of Catalina that Apple uses as the desktop image, taken from the NW and looking "up" towards the south
    That map being upside down was bugging the heck out of me too... wonder why they did it that way?
    Maybe DED is an Aussie at heart.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 168
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member

I stopped reading after this...
    —to the whimsical, excessively ornamented but minimally useful Dashboard of widgets. Dashboard is finally going away entirely in Catalina, but Widgets are still there, they're just architecturally better and easier to access from the Today panel of the Notification Center.
    What a load of doodoo. Dashboard is not minimally useful. It just failed to get the love that it needed to thrive properly. I use it daily in my "real job" to do "real work". To claim that Notification Center is a better replacement for it is misleading. There's barely any widgets available for Notification Center. I just opened the App Store section and count "15" widgets. Yup, that's it. And none of them do what I currently do in Dashboard.

And how do I four-finger swipe to open up Notification Center? This is a breeze with Dashboard. Always there, ready to serve. Okay, so a two-finger swipe to the left on the right edge of the trackpad does the trick., so I'll give it a star for not being any harder to access.

I don't agree that "Notification Center" is the right name for a place to access productivity tools. But since we're stuck with it, we need more widgets. Way more.
  • Reply 51 of 168
    yoyo2222yoyo2222 Posts: 144member
    Appleish said:
    I can't believe you STILL can't put Apple created playlists in folders. Ugh... I have a couple of hundred playlists or so in one unwieldy long list in the sidebar of iTunes, now Music.
    It's because with an Apple Playlist, you really haven't added the songs to your Library. Go to the Apple Playlist, select all the tracks, and select File>New Playlist From Selection. It will create a personal playlist you can put in a folder.
    lolliverDan_Dilgerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 168
    To add to my previous comment, I think Apple is driven by dollars to replace Dashboard with Notification widgets, because Notification widgets require that you install a full app to get the companion widget. Totally different from Dashboard which had standalone widgets that were free. Not good for Apple's bottom line.

Here's ALL of the widgets advertised in the Canadian App Store. 15 in total, but we're actually looking at full app listings, not just widgets. It's misleading on that front, too. Who would pay $69.99 for a widget? Nobody. They need to get the full app instead.

Not too happy about this move by Apple. It takes value away from users, and forces them to buy apps instead.

cat52
  • Reply 53 of 168

dougd said:

First off, hard to trust you as an authority when you write "IOS" in all caps. It's "iOS"... "small eye". Get with the program, eh?  :D 

Second, what iOS 13 disaster? I've installed it on multiple devices quickly and smoothly. No problems at all. Smoothest upgrade that I've had in 10 years.

lollivermacxpresscat52watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 168
    ylonylon Posts: 49member
    This article disturbs me greatly. I've felt that AppleInsider is just not leveling with its readers for the last several years now. It has some fun and feel good articles, but this stuff about Catalina is a load of bullcrap. This OS release is the next solid step to the end of Apple and no one has the courage to stand up and talk about this. Do you realize how many of us our MOURNING this release of the OS and are carefully looking at Linux options at the moment (I know several colleagues who've actually "switched" again now). 

Now granted, Linux can't fit the bill for any of us who need to do anything more than certain dedicated tasks that it's good at, but frankly the core OS has been suffering in macOS for many years now (and this is coming from both Apple engineers themselves and others who do low level system development).

Apple is prepping us for a complete lockdown and I'll be darned if you find me fighting to jailbreak my workstation. I need low level kexts, I need better debugging facilities, I need kernel access and I frankly need to retain 32bit functionality. There's no actual reason to switch to 64bit fully from a technical standpoint (it's actually more optimized and efficient when you use 32bit apps. Period.). I can elucidate a lot more on these points, but to see Catalina spoken of so highly has completely obliterated my belief that AppleInsider can become anything more than lipstick for Apple now.
    blastdoor
  • Reply 55 of 168
    woodbine said:

Please list them out here....

lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 168
    cornchip said:

dougd said:
    Dougd doesn’t like it!

Dont know what I’m doing wrong, but I’ve encountered zero disaster here. Can you clarify further about how you’ve been victimized by Apple? What are the real-world limitations you’ve experienced as part of the “disaster” on your end? Inquiring minds want to know. 
    Seriously. iOS 13 is chock full of really nice little details & upgrades with virtually zero bugs...

DISASTER!!! 
    I beg to disagree. Yes, there are some nice improvements (e.g., Dark Mode), but a vast majority of the changes are cosmetic vis-a-vis the UI. Some are even annoying: for example, the automatic highlighting of a word when the finger is on it (when the goal is to try and move the cursor to edit -- although, there is a simple workaround, see here).

Also, it's well-documented that both 13 and 13.1.1 had major bugs. Pretty much every reviewer suggested waiting. I'll say, however that 13.1.2 has been bug-free.
  • Reply 57 of 168

I stopped reading after this...
    —to the whimsical, excessively ornamented but minimally useful Dashboard of widgets. Dashboard is finally going away entirely in Catalina, but Widgets are still there, they're just architecturally better and easier to access from the Today panel of the Notification Center.
    What a load of doodoo. Dashboard is not minimally useful. It just failed to get the love that it needed to thrive properly. I use it daily in my "real job" to do "real work". To claim that Notification Center is a better replacement for it is misleading. There's barely any widgets available for Notification Center. I just opened the App Store section and count "15" widgets. Yup, that's it. And none of them do what I currently do in Dashboard.

And how do I four-finger swipe to open up Notification Center? This is a breeze with Dashboard. Always there, ready to serve. Okay, so a two-finger swipe to the left on the right edge of the trackpad does the trick., so I'll give it a star for not being any harder to access.

I don't agree that "Notification Center" is the right name for a place to access productivity tools. But since we're stuck with it, we need more widgets. Way more.
    You don't. You use half the number of fingers from the right edge to the left to get Notification Center. I do miss Dashboard, which I used with the upper-right Hot Corner to call as an overall, but I've been using Catalina all summer and I've gotten by fine. I find that the benefits far outweigh the loss.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 168
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    IMPORTANT

Keep opening and quitting your System Preferences -> iCloud, enter password like 5-9 times, and alternate enabling Keychain when you feel, until for ME, I got the "PIN" request and then it FINALLY SHUT UP.

45 minutes on Mac Pro 2013
    55 minutes on MacBook Pro 2019

Seems much more stable than the Betas!

note:
    when you open Photos, get ready for a 2 hour process!
    when you open Music, with library, same thing!
    edited October 2019 philboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 168

This....
    it's actually more optimized and efficient when you use 32bit apps. Period
    ... is not true for every scenario.

Sure, it may be unnecessary and "wasteful" for your average productivity app, such as web browsing, email clients and word processing, but when you get into the big content creation and creative apps, which Apple plays a bit part, then 64-bit is more efficient at handling large numbers and data crunching. Encryption apps, too. One "word" of data in 64-bit is two words in a 32-bit architecture. In its simplest form, when dealing with "big data", 64-bit libraries can handle twice as much at once.

So we must look at the big picture before drawing such conclusions.

edited October 2019 StrangeDayslolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 168
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    ednl said:
    Not all 32-bit software is ancient. I use Lightroom 6 standalone and have no alternative lined up yet, certainly not the subscription.
    That's odd, I have Catalina and LightRoom 5 is running just fine.
    lolliverwatto_cobra